Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Transmission Vibration between 30 and 45mph

Post by bmcecosse »

Hope so - but I would only change the loose joint and try that.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Glad it turned out to be the UJ's... the cheaper fix option by a long way.Access to a professional ramp is heaven ...I'm not jealous .. not much !! Well done.

Bob
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

Get the propshaft professionally balanced at the same time you replace the joints. I have had props that look perfect which had a tiny amount of imbalance which caused exactly the symptoms you describe
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

@mogbob funny you should say about the access to a pro ramp ,nothing and then two come along ... i was chatting to one of my customers , he's got a mkV1 bentley and he's given me an open invitation to use his 4 post ramp at any time , sods law 2 weeks after i lay in the road in pouring rain fitting my rear springs !!!! i shall take him up on the offer when the occasion comes and i need to check the underside again
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Nice offer, does he have a butler to hand you spanners and bring tea too? :D

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Life is easy when you've got the right contacts to help out.You will have to share your secrets for finding the right people !!
Bob
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

sorry mogbob my expertise lies in other areas :wink: right an update , car went onto lift and i helped my mechanic mate strip out the prop and do the job , ok i'm paying him for his time but i get to use his tools and his garage is a damn site warmer than the gutter ! besides i pay him and he spends money in my shop , keeps the world turning . the prop looks as though it was changed for a new or reconditioned one as it was painted in silver hammerite over shiny bare metal, plus it had sealed uj's which weren't factory original, , the rear u'j was shot totally one of the cups was rusted and had no needle bearings left at all see pic
you can see the worn groove in the uj on the left , it was a right pig to remove , we cleaned up the yokes and fitted the shiny new 'sealed' again uj's supplied by bull motiff , the circlips were forged by hercules and are ott but do the job !
the front Uj which i had a bash at was a lot easier to remove , it was not as badly worn as the rear but when operated had a notchiness to it and would have failed soon, so it was good practice to change it also , glad i did as the needle rollers were blued off anyway with overheating, the prop shaft was covered in great gobs of underseal which couldn't have helped cant understand how i didnt notice these earlier
, i scraped off the gunge back to bare metal and will paint up when we get some clement weather Image
front uj before removal , we removed the gearbox tail seal at the same time and that in itself was a pig too oiled and greased before sliding in the prop very nice snug fit , the gearbox oil was drained and to my horror was found to be hypoy 90 stinky stuff ! and not good for the box, i drained it and found no traces of bronze in the collecting tray and not bronze colour in the oil itself so i might have been lucky which would make a change ! topped it up with 20/50 . Test driving it was bliss all of the vibration had gone , although i could feel some but very very slight its the same on tickover too , but i have just fitted new engine and gearbox and tiebar mounts so they're probably a bit hard still and need time to bed in . All in all over the past 3 weeks fitting the new rear springs and propshaft uj's i'm pleased that we can at last use the car and i can get the engine finally run in properly !
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Al in all... a good day at the office !!
Well done.
Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done getting it all fixed. Hope it all goes 'smoothly' from now on....
ImageImage
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

yup going down to brum in it next weekend hopefully all will be ok , it was really nice to drive i actually think the gearbox seems quieter now , reverse gear definately does , i would have expected the hypoy 90 to be quieter running , hoping for salt free roads !
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

It's worth covering the circlips and their grooves in the UJs , with either a smear of grease or Coppaslip.It'll help keep the dirt and water out.
You obviously had a struggle getting them to bits.I always say a little prayer when I find a previous owner has greased / coppaslipped a circlip. Wipe the old muck away, a blast of WD40 and out with the circlip pliers, job done..thank you.
Thought I'd mention it ,for people reading the post but I expect your mate has sorted it for you.
Bob
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

its a good point bob we copper greased the yoke before tapping the cups into place and left the excess wiped around the circlip just in case these uj's need replacing again by myself , tbh i was a little reticent to fit the sealed uj's , but i called bull motiff back after receiving them as they do not state in their online catalogue that these are non grease nipple type joints, they assured me they should last as long as the old type and be maintainence free, we'll see ! i've just been chatting to a mate on facebook who did his apprenticeship at hardy spicers in birmingham and assembled plenty of prop shafts and went on to work in the developement / design dept , i asked him why they didnt design the yoke gap just another 5mm wider then it would have been a damn site easier to remove the spider section , apparently they tried but the extra length ratio on the spider made for a weaker joint .
Denis M

Post by Denis M »

Hi I was reading with interest the problem that you had with your Morris Minor.

It sounds exactly the same as I have after re-building my 1959 948cc engine. I can also get rid of the out-of-balance vibration by pumping the clutch at approx 30mph. I have just pulled out the enging and replaced a badly worn spigot bush but this has not helped.

Did you ever solve your problem?

Denis Martin
New Zealand