Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
thecount
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

thecount in the air

Post by thecount »

Hi there everyone

Just thought this was a good unusual view of my car that may be of interest.

It's wheel-less and in the air awaiting new brakes (slaves, shoes and flex hoses). I bought a new set of each and fitted them up without a problem, but unfortunately while they fit and all looks good there was no way of getting the drums back on as the shoes were being held "off centre". Turns out the slaves are slightly different to the originals, but different enough to cause a problem.

Guess the moral is to ensure that one is buying the actual Lockheed parts they think they are buying and not just accept someone telling you they are the right thing. :-? :cry:

Oh well, to buy more new ones or to try and rebuild the old, hmmm..

Either way it be back on the wheels soon, cause it looks better that way and is somewhat more useable :lol:[frame]Image[/frame]

Cheers
Gav

1955 4Dr Series II
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: thecount in the air

Post by bmcecosse »

Not heard of slaves not being right....are you sure?? There has been mention of new shoes not quite right - needing a little metal removed to get the drums on.... Perhaps that's the problem?? Where did you get the 'not right' slaves from??
ImageImage
thecount
Minor Friendly

Post by thecount »

To be honest with you, I actually don't recall which company I bought the slaves from now (it was somewhere in the UK but that gives very wide scope of places), I bought them about 5 years ago, but they are definitely a larger casting in the mount for the shoe area when compared visually to the originals, They also have a different number cast into them than the originals too I'm told (I didn't notice when I fitted them) :oops: :o

1955 4Dr Series II
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Maybe just 'repro' cylinders. Are they actually longer than the originals? Surprising that they fitted the two screw hole fitting if they are not the same dimensions? Any chance of a picture showing them side by side?
ImageImage