Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wishbone
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Broken Halfshaft

Post by wishbone »

I think I have broken a halfshaft. I was pulling out of a petrol station and heard a bang and lost drive. It still goes into gear ok and I can see the prop shaft turning but no drive. So I'm guessing halfshaft?

I have never changed one before so am looking for some tips and what I will need to do the job?

Is it usually one side that breaks? I think it is the left hand side that went but haven't looked yet.

Do I need a slide hammer to get the shaft out (I haven't got one) or will it fall out because it is broken?

What seals and bearings etc will I need?

Lastly if there is a broken bit left in the diff how is best to get it out!

I will try and have a go between Christmas and new year. (If I can get parts)
[sig]5824[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Broken Halfshaft

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear! Merry Christmas.... It will pull out ok -50/50 chance which one it is. You will need to pull the final drive assembly out to remove the broken end - and to remove any shrapnel floating about in there. So arm yourself with a final drive gasket - and a litre of EP80 oil too. The gasket and O ring at the hub should survive ok if you are careful.
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I would change both sides,while your axle is out of action,good luck
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
wishbone
Minor Friendly

Post by wishbone »

I will be using second hand halfshafts anyway as I haven't seen any new ones so not sure if there's any advantage in changing both sides! Anyway, thanks for the advice, it sounds like it may not be too bad a job then (but that's when it all goes wrong!) Why is it I always seem to be outside working under the car in January! I thought I'd got round that by shifting the MOT to March last year!

Merry Christmas all!
[sig]5824[/sig]
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

they become handed with wear ,so it's probably best if you put the new one on the same side it came off,if they are a pair the you will have matching half shafts,bit like changing dampers in pairs .

I believe you can get new extra hard ones
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Might be cheaper to buy a full axle complete they aren't expensive :)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Not done it on a minor but when I broke a shaft on the scimitar,following advice in the manual,it was possible to slide a loop of stiff wire,with a slip knot ,over the broken shaft and pull the old bit,out then only need to drain the diff to get any bits out,mind the break was clean so I didn;t see and debris come out. Might be worth a try,nothing to loose,may save a bit of striping down.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They unfailingly snap right in at the final drive output, on the splines - so a bit tricky with that loop of wire!
ImageImage
symington1947
Minor Friendly

Post by symington1947 »

Once you have found out what one is broken ,remove the other one and push a piece of tube or pipe ,(long enough to push the broken part out against the half shaft it has snapped of from.
Should you remove the broken one first replace it without bolts,then the broken part should not catch in the tube of half shaft.
Worth a try.regards
colin.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

The scimitar broke and left about 4" sticking out of the diff,took a bit of doing but did work,thing is the scimitar has watts likages attached to the case of the diff,so not easy to get the cover off. Thats why the manual suggests the wire loop,but if as said the minor breaks inside the diff then probably not of any use,still worth a try though you never know your luck.
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

When mine broke I located which one it was and removed it, then get your arc welder out and tape up a welding rod and fix to a lenght of wooden rod. Insulate all the metal bits except the very end of the rod. Do a dummy run without any power and mark the position on the rod when you insert it and it touches the broken bit. Pull out 1/2" and apply power, switch off as soon as youve made contact and the rod has welded itself to the broken half shaft and pull out. I did it in one go. Off course if the half shaft is all twisted up it may not come out, but its worth a try first. I flushed out the diff before putting in the replacement and new oil.
Best of luck Ian
Should be ready for tea time.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

^^^^ Interesting idea!! But the weld current will have to pass through the diff ball bearings....not good for the races...... Also there are diff parts in the way of trying to prod it through from the other side with a long pole...... Just take the final drive out -it's not a difficult job! Do inspect the splines of the remaining shaft - and the intended replacements - for any signs of twisting....
ImageImage
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Morning all,
My opinion for what its worth when I had one go. Pull out both half shafts - leave plenty of room each side to do it of course - no parking one side against the garage wall - and the differential too. Assuming the shaft has sheared where the splines run out, the broken end of the shaft will still be in the diff but there's no easy way of getting it out without taking the diff out too. You cant put a long tube or anything to push the broken piece through from one side to the other as the centre diff shaft is in the way. Basically clean everything to get rid of any swarf or broken bits and put it all back together with nice clean oil. Check the splines of the replacement shafts to see if they are starting to twist. I agree its nice if you can put the shafts back "handed" if you can but most people don't mark them to say which side they came out of when you buy them. Just look to see they are in good condition.
Cheers, Colin.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Definately do what bmc and colin say it is imperative that all the debris is removed or all your work will be wasted if a small piece of the wreckage gets in to a bearing or the diff gears. Happy new year. smithskids :D
wishbone
Minor Friendly

Post by wishbone »

Well I had a go at this today. I tried the near side first and the halfshaft came out nice and easy but looked ok so I put it back in and tried the driver side. I couldn't get it out! I did manage to move it a few mill enough to get screwdrivers and even a crowbar in behind but the more It came out the tighter it went, I couldn't turn it until it was pushed back in. I tried turning the shaft to several positions first but with the same result. Driving rain stopped further attempts but I am wondering if it has actually snapped just mangled?

Is it possible to get the diff out with the halfshaft still in? Or is there another way?

One other thing, If I replace the whole axle and springs, will all types fit or do I need specific years? Mine's a 68 2 door.
Last edited by wishbone on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]5824[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

It should pull out easy,.take the diff cover off and have a look inside something is jamming it,wouldn't force it too much you may damage the diff if the shaft is wedged up inside it.Before you tried to pull the shaft out was that side wheel free to spin,might not be a broken shaft,possibly something broken inside the diff/final drive,
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

kennat
There is no diff cover on a Minor rear axle.
wishbone
Unfortunately it is not possible to remove the diff assembly without removing the half-shafts.
The inner end of the damaged hall-shaft appears from your description to be burred and will not pull out of the diff so you are going to have to persevere and get the damaged half-shaft out. A bit more brute force is called for!!
Whilst kennat may be right in that there may be something else wrong with the diff you will still have to remove both half-shafts to find out.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above -you must get the shafts out. Axle from any Minor after 1956 will be fine - although final drive ratio may not be ideal, but can be changed of course.
ImageImage
wishbone
Minor Friendly

Post by wishbone »

Just bought a new axle with springs from ebay so I will swap the lot then sort out the broken one!

Then can either sell on or keep as spare! I need to get back on the road so this should save some messing around. The springs were pretty shot on mine and I was thinking of replacing them. The ones on the axle are apparently "pretty new" so we'll see!
[sig]5824[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Can't see it on ebay - can you post a link?
ImageImage