Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Faulty Parts - Advise needed

Post by AndrewSkinner »

After a bit of advice and your opinions.

Recently I purchased a set of steering rack gaiters for a Morris spares shop, I've already heard a few horror stories from this place and also received a few extremely poor quality parts before. I bought the gaiters from them as they were local and I needed them quickly. 5 weeks later my steering felt gritty and something wasn't right. I needed to jack the car up anyway to replace the UJ's so took a look then. I was horrified to find that the brand new gaiters had completely disintegrated allowing all the road grime and dirt into my freshly cleaned up steering rack.
I sent the business an email with photos but didn’t receive a reply until I chased it up twice well over a week later! I got a very grumpy phone response saying were looking at it and that I need to leave It with them (Nice of them to let me know that!).
All of a sudden two more gaiters turn up in the post and I receive an email saying that they have provided me with two more and that they would like my old ones back to look at. In this email they admitted they have had problems with these before.
I have since written back to them explaining that I do not think simply a new set of gaiters is a little inadequate after all the damage and cost this has caused me.

So the facts so far are:
- Slow responses and having to chase up constantly.
- Damaged steering rack.
- ½ days worth of work wasted and needs to be done again.
- £40 on tracking wasted and will need doing again (another £40).
- Steering rack is now damaged and will either need a rebuild or replacing.
- Car has been off the road for weeks while they look into it.
- Need a new set of gaiters.

What they have done to rectify the issue:
- Sent another set of gaiters (not fitting as who is to say these are better?)

Do you guys think it is unfair to ask for some compensation? Whether it be monetary or a new steering rack or even a healthy discount on a steering rack?
My blood is boiling at the fact they just constantly sell stuff that is such poor quality and then think they can just get away with it! Well this time its cost me a fortune and I do not think it is fair that because there part has failed (and failed spectacularly) I should have to pay for the consequences. This should never have happened and it is directly there fault.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by LouiseM on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove location of trader
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
LouiseM

Re: Faulty Parts - Advise needed

Post by LouiseM »

I've removed the location of the trader to prevent identification (as per T&C's). If you have written to them again and are still awaiting a reply I think your best course of action is to wait to see what they say. Discussing details on an open internet form isn't the best course of action whilst the matter is ongoing. If you are still unhappy with the response maybe contact trading standards for advice on what options are available to you.

Bear in mind that traders invariably only supply the parts - they don't manufacture them - and a problem which has been ongoing for years is that a lot of owners want to buy the cheapest available. This then has a knock on effect as cheaper products generally result in poorer quality items.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Unfortunately even after replying back I get the same blanket message saying 'there is nothing further I am able to offer you'

Supply the parts or manufacture the parts I purchased it from them and my contract of sale is with them. It doesn't matter where they get them from, if they are not up to the standard or cause a problem then I see it as there responsibility?
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Don't give up :D Most of the remanufactured parts fail ,points bearings, rubbers,body panels that don't fit bring back British engineering once the pride of the world
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Andrew - I agree totally with your view, and I sympathise greatly with your frustration - and the policy of the MMOC to not allow the name of this Company to be shown is what allows the situation to go on and on. You are stating a matter of fact - parts bought in good faith failed within weeks - it's not as if you are bad mouthing them for poor workmanship etc - your problem is clear cut fact. But you have to get over it and get your car back on the road. So either fit these boots - or buy others elsewhere and get the car going again. I would appreciate a PM from you with the Company name please - so I can avoid buying anything from them !! I'm sure others will want that news too........
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Agree with all the above wholeheartedly.
In addition is it quite reasonable to photograph the manufacturers packaging and publish it?
As the fault is also with the manufacturer who will be supplying poor parts via other suppliers too,this would be of more interest to prospective fitters of parts I think than the suppliers detail.
This way we can all avoid the same pitfall from all regular suppliers.
If Louise et al dont want manufacturers names bandied about, perhaps as mentioned earlier by someone, p.m.s could be supplied to interested parties.
Where angels fear to tread
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

moggiethouable wrote:If Louise et al dont want manufacturers names bandied about, perhaps as mentioned earlier by someone, p.m.s could be supplied to interested parties.
It's nothing to do with what I do or don't want - it's in the T&C's which were here long before most of the mods were! Andrew is complaining about the service provided by the trader rather than the parts quality (which he has referred to previously in another thread).

There have been numerous posts here about poor quality rubber and most of the traders get their supplies from the same manufacturers. Perhaps it would be helpful if anyone who has purchased some good quality gaitors recently posts to let others know who manufactures /supplies them? (I see there's a pair of NOS ones advertised in the new Minor Matters for £7 if anyone needs some).

Eric - 1971 Traveller
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

I had in the for sale section new old stock ones and had very little interest so I put them on ebay and now all old
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

As much as I agree about poor quality parts I can see both sides of this discussion so maybe some sort of compromise can be reached .Rathre than a witch hunt on the open forum cannot something be set up on the members area only under a new heading , which prior to any posting can be vetted as suitable and only then released again only on the members only section .
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I consider that the club should be more proactive in this matter rather than hiding behind T@C's. Members should be able to buy parts that are fit for purpose and it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for the club to highlight poor service/quality issues to suppliers.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

In todays Daily Telegraph page 27 there is a good article relating to the The Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and what your rights are.
There are also several good articles relating to the Act on the web.
When sales persons try to sell me after sales warranties I always quote The Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and say if it goes wrong or is not of an appropriate quality or up to the task it is being advertised for I expect it to be sorted under that Act so you can keep your warranty.
The responsibility for sorting out the problem rests with the seller and not further back down the chain. It is no good the seller saying it is not my problem because it is. They cannot or should not pass the buck back to the manufacturer and say deal direct with them.
Unfortunately many sales persons are ignorant about the Act and its requirements so you may have a struggle to convince them of your rights.

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

LouiseM wrote:
moggiethouable wrote:If Louise et al dont want manufacturers names bandied about, perhaps as mentioned earlier by someone, p.m.s could be supplied to interested parties.
It's nothing to do with what I do or don't want - it's in the T&C's which were here long before most of the mods were! Andrew is complaining about the service provided by the trader rather than the parts quality (which he has referred to previously in another thread).

There have been numerous posts here about poor quality rubber and most of the traders get their supplies from the same manufacturers. Perhaps it would be helpful if anyone who has purchased some good quality gaitors recently posts to let others know who manufactures /supplies them? (I see there's a pair of NOS ones advertised in the new Minor Matters for £7 if anyone needs some).
Catch 22, if the parts were of a decent quality, the traders reaction to poor parts would not be in contention.
I supply parts to manufacturing industry, if a part proves defective, there is a replacement supplied at cost and the defective part is tested,if indeed the fault lies with the part, it is credited,if the part is obviously defective to all parties involved, it is replaced f.o.c. on the spot.
The difference is, production lines cannot stop,a minor owner can theoretically do without or wait for a result.
This is wrong of course, but thats how it is.
Defective parts should, discretely by p.m.s or indiscretely on blogs/websites, be highlighted to the benefit of the buyer and the dealer, who doesnt want to push rubbish, because he will go bust,the manufacturer will then have those parts frozen out of the loop, until quality improves.
Where angels fear to tread
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Thanks for the PM Andrew , I was surprised it was that company though.

As for parts I think we need to demand better from the manufacturers.

BTW the situation is similar for Volkswagens. Some of the parts we bought to restore my girlfriends car we not of the best quality....
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
rob.hardy1
Minor Fan

Post by rob.hardy1 »

Whilst I guess most people would sympathise with you regarding the costs incurred by you having to correct things on your car after fitting sub standard items, I suggest that you cant expect to get the compensation you are looking for.
The way I would suggest you go to get any compensation would be through the small claims court but I would expect the supplier to go back to standard terms and conditions which usually limit any claims to the value of the goods and will probably deny liability for any consequential losses.
I would rather be wrong but I think that is the way it would go down.