Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dawpooldad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Roof Lining restoration

Post by dawpooldad »

Hi,
Several years ago, at a classic car show, I spoke to a bloke who "restored" his roof headlining by painting it with what I think was gloss paint. It was on a '58 Ford Anglia fitted with a cloth material and it had the benefit of "tightening up" the slack lining and also brightening up the interior.
Now, I've got a very drab headlining on my 2 door '54 Ser II, although it's still taught, it could do with brightening up and this might be a solution.
I'd like to know if anybody has tried this on their Moggie and if so, what kind of paint was used and what precautions were taken.
Rgds
Dawpooldad
GPO_Van
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Roof Lining restoration

Post by GPO_Van »

Hi
I do not know if I would paint, but I have a friend whose wife is a seamstress and she has made me a new head liner using the old as a template.
I will be trying to fit this in the next week or so, as you live on the Wirral you can come and watch the process, could be a laugh as I’ve not done one before (you will be the one laughing)
Regards
Reg
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Paint will harden and make the headlining really brittle, unless you want to replace it try gentle cleaning with strong detergent.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Halfords sell aerosols of vinyl paint for around a tenner.It says on the tin that the paint is chemically absorbed by the vinyl and doesnt just sit on the surface.It works too.I've just recoloured the blue doorcards on a '72 mini from blue to black.Just make sure you thoroughly degrease first.As a guide 2 cans did four cards so one might do it.