Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Drewballoo
MMOC Member: No

Choke issues?

Post by Drewballoo »

Hi all,
New member, first post! :o , I've just bought my first Morris Minor (a 1968 2 door saloon called 'rebel') and am a bit concerned that in all the manuals I've read about the car it says that when you pull the choke out it is supposed to turn left in to the locked on position, but mine does not turn, I've scrolled through the message boards but cannot find this issue anywhere. Now this is my first venture in to the daunting world of classic cars, and I am hoping I'm not just being stupid and driving it wrong, but I'm a bit concerned it's stuck a little bit perhaps as when I have the choke on it can be quite juddery when I first drive for a few minutes.
Has anyone had this issue before and can offer me any advice on whether something is wrong with my car?
Thanks!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Choke issues?

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum. Just hang your umbrella on the choke when it's out - or use a clothes peg......... many do...... The original cable was designed to twist and lock - but if new parts have been fitted incorrectly it may not do so. It's hardly a major worry! I find the choke is only needed to start my engine - and almost immediately it is pushed in. Yes - a cold engine can be a bit spluttery - don't worry about it.
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

It has to be a wooden clothes peg though, plastic is far too modern!
Welcome to the forum

Drewballoo

Post by Drewballoo »

Oh great, i was getting a little worried... Phew!! :)
Thanks very much for the warm welcome and the speedy responses!
Much appreciated.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Slacken the inner cable clamp at the carb end, twist the cable with a pair of pliers and tighten the clamp. The choke should stay in place when pulled out and then twist to release (or vice versa). If that fails then the wooden clothes peg which is clipped to the rear view mirror stem when not in use.
[sig]3580[/sig]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Only the older minors had that lock bit on the choke, any after about 64 are just the pull type.

Too many Minors so little time.....
jaguar68
Minor Fan

Post by jaguar68 »

My '69 4 door didn't have a "twist to lock" choke cable until I changed it to suit the later HIF 44 :-?
JPX877J
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JPX877J »

Our '68 2 door saloon has just the pull type and it stays out fine! No need to twist it at all.
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

I found mine pulls itself in after a few minutes, once the engine has warmed up... Don't know if its by design but Its much better than a locking one!

Does a HIF44 need to lock more than a HS2? Swapping over this weekend and I need a new choke cable (too short atm)