Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oddbod
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Advice on Head Gasket Fitting

Post by oddbod »

Managed to get the Head off today, I am posting up pictures before and after cleaning the block. Should I clean the block more? If so how and with what? The old Gasket failed between cylinder 3 & 4, there appears to be a mark there, even after cleaning. Cylinder 4 seems to be "burned" or at least a different colour to the other 3, is that a problem? If so what to do? Should I clean off the tops of the cylinders (thought of hoovering or is that silly)

Before cleanup:[frame]Image[/frame]
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Advice on Head Gasket Fitting

Post by chesney »

A light scrub of emery paper wouldn't go amiss.
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

[frame]Image[/frame]
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

I' m also trying to learn how to upload photos, but it is baffling me, my aide is about to have a nervous breakdown at my inability to remember what I did 60 seconds ago that sent a picture!!

Heres a pic after a quick clean up[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO!! That's the very way to make grooves in the block. Remove all the studs, and scrape the block using the back edge of a 12" steel rule -or a small paint scraper. Hold the tool at a low angle so it doesn't dig in or gouge the metal. Don't touch the pistons - just wipe (or Hoover!) any loose bits away. Check if the studs have pulled up threads in any way - and if so - lightly countersink the stud holes - then refit them securely. Use copper faced gasket - light wipe over the surfaces with a thin film of grease - torque the head to 44 ft lbf and set valve gaps. After the first heat cycle - retorque and then reset the valve gaps (12 thou inlets/ 15 thou ex) Don't worry about #4 -probably caused by the blown gasket.
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Cheers BMC, in the 3rd photo I have "skimmed" the surface of the block with a Stanley Blade, and shall clean out the Pistons with a Hoover AND a cloth tomorrow! I was mainly worried about piston 4 with the discolouration, but if you reckon its OK I'm happy so far. SHOULD be done tomorrow, Snow permitting!!
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Heres one of it after cleaning too ( How can I upload more than 1 pic per post? The Choose file at the bottom seems to only allow 1 pic per post)[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes that looks fine - and yes a blade is good for the job. It 'may' be that #4 is passing a bit of oil - but worth just putting it all back and wait and see... What head is it? And are you going to have time to grind the valves ?
ImageImage
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

I do the following: After hitting choose file and identifying the photo you want to upload, click on 'preview' and your message and photo will be displayed as it will appear on the forum, srcoll down again to your message and the choose file box will be empty again and you can select another photo. Do this routine for as many photos as you want to post :D

oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Well I was told its a 1275 940g. No I wont be regrinding the valves as the effort it has taken to get this far has me at the limit of my endurance. I have had to remove more things than I thought to get the Head off. I'll clean up the Head before I put it back on though ( if that seems a good plan?)

Thanks brucek, I wasn't going to preview first so that is probably why. I've taken more photos so will practicse the choosing, resizing and previewing a few times and hope it sinks in by rote!
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

More photos ( I hope!!)

Before clean up:[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

And after clean up[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

I now need to see if I can remember these simple few steps tomorrow. I learned how to do this photo post stuff here a while ago, but my memory is not what it was......

Now what did I come in here for again??? Glasses mmm, no.....
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

I would suggest it needs a bit more cleaning before refitting the head.

Remove all the studs, stuff some rag down the bores, then with a flat solid block of something, wood is fine so long as it is FLAT, wrap a piece of wet 'n' dry paper (80-180 grit) around it, wet the paper with thin oil (3-in-1 is perfect) and using a circular motion rub the whole of the block surface to clean it up. Wipe off the residue and repeat the process until the block face is clear of any noticeable imperfections where the gasket seats.

Repeat the process for the head surface. If the head combustion chambers are in a similar state to the top of the block before the initial clean, then I would suggest that all the valves are removed, the head cleaned up, valves ground in and then reassembled. You have taken the trouble to fit a better head, it is worth while taking a bit more time now to get the benefit from it.

Yes it will take while, but not as long as having to remove the head after a short while to do the whole job again. The risk of getting it wrong is that the block wlll have to be skimmed, and that is a much bigger job.

If you live anywhere near Oxford, I will happily come round and help.
Richard

oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Thanks for the offer islip, but I think West Yorks is a bit far for a Sunday run out. I'll try and give the block a better clean before refitting the head.
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

It was all going so well!! The last stud ( short rearmost ) is unwilling to move. I used the combined nuts on the other studs and they released like a dream, the last stud feels like it is going to snap rather than loosen, the 2 nuts, even when locked dont seem to do the business, I am afraid of snapping the stud and creating another problem. Any offers as how to release the recalcitrant stud?
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Leaving one in place is not too much of a problem, especially one at an end - if it won't undo easily, probably best left alone. Use the scraper to clean off the area around it. PM sent.
Richard