Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Top trunnion pivot pin

Post by culp »

Hello again. More work on the front suspension. I'm replacing trunnions top and bottom. I've got the swivel pin off by unscrewing it from the top trunnion. I've undone the locknut, removed the bolt and taken off the top trunnion. I can't get the upper pivot pin to budge from the damper arm. My splitter won't fit between the flange on the pivot pin and the damper arm and I ve tried heating the damper arm with a blowtorch and then belting the castellated nut loose on the pivot pin with a hammer, to no avail.

Any tips? Also I don't understand why there needs to be a 0.02" end float?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Top trunnion pivot pin

Post by bmcecosse »

Why do you want the pin out? Just leave it in there!! It is extremely difficult to remove -best left well alone. Forget about end float -and DO fit Polyurethane bushes in the top trunnion!
ImageImage
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

I'm starting to come to the same conclusion myself! The castellated nut is just at the "belting it with a hammer point of no return" so I may stop there. I have a hydraulic press how about taking the whole damper off and then pressing it out with that, it'll apply 2 tons?
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Best to do what bmcecosse says, if you damage the nut or male thread your in for a lot of extra work :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Unless you have an early minor with proper top pivot pins (screwed or plain, see Minor wksp man sect K4) there is no need to ensure that there is 0.002 end float . I totally agree with bmcecosse do not remove the top pivot pin unless it has to be replaced because of damage or wear; just replace the top pivot rubbers if necessary. If you have early top pivot pins and they are worn out see wksp man sect K13 for changing the top swivel from screwed or plain pins to rubber bushed top links.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Stop hitting it with a hammer, You'll loosen/damage the shock absorber fixings.

culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Got it out :D More work with the trusty angle grinder :D I took out the shock absorber, locked the arm for the shock absorber in a vice and cut through the pin between the shock absorber arm and the steel disk that's part of the pin. Then all it took was a few hefty belts with a hammer and out it came. It fired into the workshop floor like a bullet.

I now have a nice new shiny pin and the 2 thou endfloat between the pin and the shock absorber arm the pin needs to stop the suspension locking solid.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Seriously - you seem determined to give yourself an awful lot of hard/unecessary work. :roll: There IS no '2 thou endfloat' - just put good hard poly bushes with a smear of white grease - it'll be fine.
ImageImage