FAVOURITE LOCOMOTIVES (TRAINS)

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: FAVOURITE TRAINS

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - it is indeed a Scottish based locomotive !
ImageImage
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I understood it resided in the NRM at York.

Was certainly Doncaster built.
Greengrass
Minor Friendly

Post by Greengrass »

Ill swop it for my convertable :D :D :D :D
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

jagnut66 wrote:Out of interest is Mallard still in working order or is she just a static exhibit these days?
I believe Mallard is in York, but I dont know of any plans to run her next year, finger crossed though.
Two for one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8n3Dq2Rzc
And the flying scotsman
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/7318.shtml
Where angels fear to tread
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Very enjoyable videos but I notice that whilst Tornado was in steam throughout, Mallard appeared not to be and was just towed and shunted into position by Tornado / the diesel loco.
Maybe her boiler needs repair / her certificate has run out and there's no money in the pot at the moment??
That and the fact that I think the National Railway Museum are still restoring the Flying Scotsman at present and probably wouldn't have the time just yet anyway. I hope she's on their list though.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

Mallard. Always Mallard

Much better than this monstrosity I have to travel on from Derby to Uttoxeter when I go to Alton Towers (which is a lot)
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

I love all steam trains but also get nostalgic about the train of my childhood - the 303 class "blue train" in Glasgow and surrounding area. Some features:

Glass partition between passenger compartment and driver's cab - you could see where you were going as well as watch the driver - until he pulled the blinds down!

Hydraulic (I think) sliding doors - modern in theory but very clunky and often unreliable.

Mosaic interior panels at carriage ends and gangways - either grey or yellow triangles of various shades

Horizontally striped brown and gold (if memory serves) velour-type seats

Very audible acceleration from the motors (which I believe sometimes used to catch fire). As a musician I can tell you that the "engine note" used to reach a healthy top E-flat :)

Later, the trafalgar blue (nearly) livery became a combination of blue and grey before, sacrilege of high proportions, everything became a hideous orange as unification of the "Strathclyde Passenger Transport Executive". Similar livery vandalism took place on the buses, but that's another story...
]
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

JPX877J - Lincoln St Marks station unless I'm very much mistaken??? Oh how we all love the fact that the barriers are down for a total of about 40 minutes every hour snarling up the whole High Street and the only road access from the top of town to the bottom!! Those town planners did a bang up job when they closed the other station AND pulled up the Lincoln avoiding line!! :D

JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

I just pulled the pic of the tinterweb.

They are horrid trains at 6 in the morning (I catch an East Midlands Class 222 from Sheffield to Derby at half 5 then that box which is the 'uttoxbox' from Derby to Uttoxeter then the Alton Towers Transport bus from Uttoxeter to Alton Towers and arrive at about 8am) and when mine was an hour late it was -10 on Derby station (last feb half term)
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Aah yes - have spent many a cold hour standing on Sheffield station waiting for a similar train to whisk me slowly back to the flatlands of Lincolnshire via every small and out of the way station imagineable between both cities!! How can it take you longer by train than it does to walk??? :lol:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Mallard. Always Mallard
I have a soft spot for LMS Black 5's too.................. and the Great Western made some excellent locomotives......
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Enough of the kettles! Now enjoy the majestic sight of a Deltic..

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Fabulous :)
]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Industrial railways do it for me!
A very worthwhile day out is to the Alan Keef Open Day which is held in September at his railway workshops at Lea Line on the A40 between Gloucester and Ross on Wye.
See http://www.alankeef.co.uk/open_day.html for details. Alan Keef open days covering several years can be viewed on 'You Tube'. I have visited this location on several occasions and have never left disapointed. People come from all over the UK and I do mean from all over the UK.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

At the end of the day, whatever your choice of train (steam or original diesel - Deltic), the railway network in this country was much better served pre Beeching.
It's a shame he wasn't hit by a train on the way to making his report!.............. :lol:

In my opinion they only changed from steam to diesel so they could save on labour costs - they could sack all the firemen straight away! Steam engines always required more intensive maintenance. At the time the cost of diesel over coal was negligible.

Whilst your Deltic is a fine engine in it's own right, I wish more of the great steam locomotives had survived, too many simply became extinct.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

A couple of years ago a friend of mine invited me up to Darlington to a museum where a group were fixing up a class 57 loco. It was a freezing cold day and they started it up, the locos are designed to run all day none stop and have no pre heaters on the glo plugs. This thing started from cold not on all cylinders, we were stood at the side of it and it was spewing unburnt diesel from the exausts and sounded like a bag of spanners, then as it warmed up it was fireing on all cylinders and sounded great. I think the engine was built by GEC. The engine pic was taken from the cab end of the train.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I heard that BR used to leave them ticking over all night. Some saving in fuel, eh? :-?
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

This one:

First steamed 2 years ago...

But I do like double Fairlies

and NG16s,

K1 is quite interesting too.

and of course the one I am working on (NG15 134)

Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:Don't want to be pedantic but a train is made up of locomotive and rolling stock. An engine on its own is simply that or more correctly a locomotive.
Quite right, I must be as pedantic as you because I felt the overwhelming urge to correct the title :lol:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: FAVOURITE LOCOMOTIVES (TRAINS)

Post by lambrettalad »

without a word to the original poster :(
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]