Favourite Beers

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lowride stepside
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Favourite Beers

Post by lowride stepside »

Larger is derived from IPA (indian pale ALE )Thats why it goe's so well with a curry .
When we lived in france we tried many local brews one called pelforth which came in brune amber and blonde ,all very nice ,but I've always been a sucker for blondes.
I keep trying so called real ale's , some are ok , but there is many a bucket of foul tasting ditch water , that seems to have a involentary effect in my facial and neck muscles ,as tho i've just hit my genitals with a hammer in front of the mother in law and am unable to swear.
speed not tweed
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Lowride stepside,

lager is different to IPA or any other pale ale for that matter. Lager (which means store) was brewed quite cold and then stored for some time, it uses a bottom fermenting yeast as opposed to our beers which use a top fermenting yeast. IPA was brewed quite strong and was very well hopped so it would last the boat journey to India for our troops.

You may encounter bad 'real ales, i.e. ones that are off if the landlord either does not look after his beer or is negligent in the line cleaning (this also applies to keg beer). This is the reason that keg beer was introduced as it is much easier to look after. Unfortunately this process kills off a lot of the things that give the beer flavour, coupled with mass production with the cheapest materials possible (Pale malt gives pale beers with little flavour).

You pay your money and make your choice, but it's worth knowing something about what you are drinking :-)

Alec
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

A nice pint of Enville ale goes down a treat, that or a town crier
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Excellent post Alec.

It is nice to see proper beer making a return now. The days of keg only pubs seem to finally be on the way out.
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Alec wrote:Hello Lowride stepside,

lager is different to IPA or any other pale ale for that matter. Lager (which means store) was brewed quite cold and then stored for some time, it uses a bottom fermenting yeast as opposed to our beers which use a top fermenting yeast. IPA was brewed quite strong and was very well hopped so it would last the boat journey to India for our troops.

You may encounter bad 'real ales, i.e. ones that are off if the landlord either does not look after his beer or is negligent in the line cleaning (this also applies to keg beer). This is the reason that keg beer was introduced as it is much easier to look after. Unfortunately this process kills off a lot of the things that give the beer flavour, coupled with mass production with the cheapest materials possible (Pale malt gives pale beers with little flavour).

You pay your money and make your choice, but it's worth knowing something about what you are drinking :-)

Alec
speed not tweed
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

None of which are crisp or refreshing ,you old stick in the muddy water ,(no referance to the fantastic Blue's artist)
Boom Boom Boom Boom
speed not tweed
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Conversely, the worst pint of bilge-water I ever drank was Staropramen. Yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk. No surprise that on a student night out one of my friends who reckoned that this was 'a good downing pint' failed miserably in a contest. :lol:
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I was drinking Mad Goose last weekend.

It comes highly recommended from me.

http://www.puritybrewing.com/news.cfm?s ... -the-loose
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Hmm. I'll have a look for it but it might turn out to be a wild goose chase. :lol: :roll:
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

''Would you like me to warm that up for you sir''
pickled egg
actualy I do like a pickled eggs ,especialy home made , reckon i could eat more than cool hand luke
I think they started selling em in pubs to get rid of the taste of that orrible ditch water you all call real ale ,
speed not tweed
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

lowride stepside wrote:''Would you like me to warm that up for you sir''
An Australian fairy tale that one, there's no such thing as warm beer.

Best served slightly chilled apparently.

Peroni at £4 a pint.. they see you coming! :wink:
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Peroni It's like the champagne of beer
Champagne is crap wine grown in poor soil with sugar added for the second fermentation but thats exspensive and tastes good too .
So how much do you pay for a pint of old fart ? + the cost of a pickled egg to numb yr taste buds
speed not tweed
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Lowride Stepside,

"None of which are crisp or refreshing ",

which would indicate that you haven't tried very many if any, because that is simply totally false?

Alec
Mozzie Ozzie

Post by Mozzie Ozzie »

No such thing as Australian Fairy Tale.
English beer is warm. You call it room temperature.
Beer should be refreshing and as cold as possibe without turning to ice.

Cascade Premium.
From Tasmania. Made from pure H2O.
Ahhh...wish I could have one now.

Dave
Mozzie Ozzie
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Dave,

I have to correct you, English beer is not served at room temperature, it is stored and served at approximately 12 degrees Centigrade which is quite cooler than our rooms. Only Keg is served at infeasibly cold temperatures but neither are served warm.

Alec
Mozzie Ozzie

Post by Mozzie Ozzie »

Hi Alec,
I've just got back from a visit to the mother country, (where I bought my pictured traveller), my lovely elderly aunt in Liverpool told me she had specially chilled some beer for me.....It was under the stairs!!! Not even in the fridge. . My cousin in Man....thought he was doing me a favour by storing it in the basement.

No beer has to be served around 3 degreesC
Dave
Mozzie Ozzie
Mozzie Ozzie

Post by Mozzie Ozzie »

Sorry that should have some punctuation

No........Beer should be served at 3C
Mozzie Ozzie
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Dave,

that is a personal choice (and many do so chose I know), but no drink with flavour benefits from being served so cold, beer, wine, spirits or even tea?

Alec
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Mozzie Ozzie wrote:No such thing as Australian Fairy Tale.

Dave
It is a fairy tale.

I went Aussie in 1995 and everyone when we arrived said, we had warm beer. This was before we'd even tasted theirs. We'd go to barbeque's and they made an example of getting the beer out of the fridge and saying "we drink ours cool here". Me and the guy who I went with just didn't understand what they were on about as everywhere I go in the UK, even now with my wife and kids, the beer comes from the fridge. Perhaps it's a generation thing.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

lowride stepside wrote:
So how much do you pay for a pint of old fart ? + the cost of a pickled egg to numb yr taste buds
Okay, so you've let the cat out of the bag the real reason you don't like it. Peer pressure. :wink:
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535