By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

MOT PASS

Post by lambrettalad »

Just passed MOT ,No issues
I still find it difficult to understand
why anybody would want a car without at least this yearly basic safety check :-?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Re: MOT PASS

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

I Toataly agree!!!
Tomas

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done! I know my car is safe - it's the waste of £50 that bothers me.......
ImageImage
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Yes but if you drive your car regularly (as a lot of us one here do) little things like brakes gradually becoming a bit softer don't register. I'd far rather my car failed an MOT on something as this draws your attention to the fault, rather than just carry on regardless or bodge a fix.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

this subject is getting rather boring......

if you know how to work on your car and it doesn't need an MOT from november onwards........ don't lose 2 minutes thinking about it. it's a waste of your time thinking about something that is irrelevent.

if you're not mechanically minded and normally get your car fixed in a garage, then have an MOT as usual.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I don't think safety is boring,and peoples comments have value ,if it's boring i find it's best to move on and ignore :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

ampwhu wrote:this subject is getting rather boring......

if you know how to work on your car and it doesn't need an MOT from november onwards........ don't lose 2 minutes thinking about it. it's a waste of your time thinking about something that is irrelevent.

if you're not mechanically minded and normally get your car fixed in a garage, then have an MOT as usual.

Well I MoT'd 2 Triumph Heralds in the spring this year. Both fully restored by the respective owners. The 1962 (IIRC) was superbly rebuilt just an advisory to tidy up the wiring in the engine bay by horns and steering rack track rod. The second one about 2 weeks later was abismall IIRC 23 fail items. Including dangerouse! Rear trunnion pins very loose, Rear flexihose hanging/rubbing on off side driveshaft, centrefix "knock on" wheels loose on centre wing nut AND adapter plates loose on to origonal wheel hub flange/nuts
Rear light all affecting the others Brake lights stuck on, no dip beam, main beam will not dip, no tell tale on direction indicators.
Thats all I can remember off hand but it created days of discussion, if wasn't so dangerouse it would have been funny.
If it had not been for an MoT test it could have been one of my grandchildren it mowed down. It was pathetic!
Just because people can work on there own cars doesn't make them competent, this guy AND his son obviously thought they knew how to work on there own car.

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

If dangerous I understand it shouldn't leave the garage, is that right?

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

les wrote:If dangerous I understand it shouldn't leave the garage, is that right?

No at the moment we have no power to hold a customers vehicle. We advice them the fault is dangerous.
Although in the new "thinktank" proposals giving us that power is an item on the agenda

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There is a Red ticket though? Or wrong again!

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

bmcecosse wrote:Well done! I know my car is safe - it's the waste of £50 that bothers me.......
I dont remember it being £50.00?, I think in September I paid £28.00.
Is this regional variation BMC, or am I wrong?
Where angels fear to tread
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Maximum MOT rates are fixed by the government (£54.85 for a car) but garages can set their own charges so prices vary.
https://www.gov.uk/mot-test-fees

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

drivewasher wrote:
ampwhu wrote:this subject is getting rather boring......

Well I MoT'd 2 Triumph Heralds in the spring this year. Both fully restored by the respective owners. The 1962 (IIRC) was superbly rebuilt just an advisory to tidy up the wiring in the engine bay by horns and steering rack track rod. The second one about 2 weeks later was abismall IIRC 23 fail items. Including dangerouse! Rear trunnion pins very loose, Rear flexihose hanging/rubbing on off side driveshaft, centrefix "knock on" wheels loose on centre wing nut AND adapter plates loose on to origonal wheel hub flange/nuts
Rear light all affecting the others Brake lights stuck on, no dip beam, main beam will not dip, no tell tale on direction indicators.
Thats all I can remember off hand but it created days of discussion, if wasn't so dangerouse it would have been funny.
If it had not been for an MoT test it could have been one of my grandchildren it mowed down. It was pathetic!
Just because people can work on there own cars doesn't make them competent, this guy AND his son obviously thought they knew how to work on there own car.

and how many 'mechanic's' out there go looking for the master cylinder under the bonnet on an A35 or the hydraulic rear brakes on one? how many look for the radiator on a VW beetle?

i know if my car is safe, i don't need some spotty 22 year with a fresh college certificate or a NVQ (not very qualified) looking at my classic cars. i deem them to be safe.

best thing this government has done since scrapping car tax for pre-73 cars. it means my car costs £50 a year to run as from next month. fantatsic!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

My Garage charged me £45.00,and let me inspect the underside ,whilst on the hoist (after the MOT),Much better than being under the car on axel stands etc

I know I would not buy a car without an MOT,brand new of course :D
Cheers Alex

[/color]
GPO_Van
Minor Fan

Post by GPO_Van »

I feel confident that my rebuilt traveller will be ok in the spring when finished, but with rebuilt engine, extensive welding, replacement axle, re spray, extensive work on the breaks full rewire etc etc.
I want an MOT/safety check just to be on the safe side, plus all that money spent that will be lost if my insurance does not pay out if a fault on my car is said to make it unsafe and “claim” that it caused an accident. :evil:
Better safe than sorry :D
Regards
Reg
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Well i've said it on here before and i'll say it again ,i'm after a traveller to go with my 1969 convertible and have been for quite some time now and i will not be touching a pre.1960 car with a barge poll if it hasn't been put through some sort of safety check. What the goverment should've done was to make the test a lot less costly for classic/vintage cars/bikes and just have the safety aspects of the vechicle checked during the test that way all cars would be "safe" during the time of testing and i would then be happy to purchase a pre. 1960 car :D
Last edited by Budgie on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

As Iv'e said before the mot is only a MINIMUM standard. In my opinion thats too low! But testers have to test to the standards laid down by DFT via VOSA.

Re comments about 22 year old kids, well I do see what you mean, but I sometimes have to refer to the presenter for particular traits of a vehicle. Even I at 56 years old am still learning. I am as I have always been from apprentiship hungry for information and keen to learn, sadly most of the young-uns behind me my family included coming into the business are not. They just want a wage on Friday and a boom box in the boot with blue led's everywhere!

I spend a lot of time in our VTS with presenters and thier vehicles showing them the reasons for failure and how to get a pass thats safe and economical. I just love the job and all it's characters!

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Budgie

I think you mean pre 1960

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Prices of an MOT.

We are at £40 with a free retest within 10 working days. Thats because every other VTS round here are at that price. We won't go cheaper even if they do we won't get into a price war, I believe we are well worth the £40 those that don't can always go somewhere cheaper, but they would always be welcome back

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I paid £52 for the MOT on my Focus on Friday. And thats with me in the car doing moving the steering wheel, applying brakes etc when instructed.

Its a garage I have used for a while, its a one man band with a former apprentice and its just round the corner. I would rather pay them and get a real result rather than a high street name (no names mentioned but think orange) who are likely to look for work!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics