Which parts suppliers get your business?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
beelzibus
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Which parts suppliers get your business?

Post by beelzibus »

So, the shopping list for the pick up resto I'm doing is huge. Now if this were a VW Beetle or Bus, I'd know exactly who to spend the hard earned with. But being the first Minor I've had to deal with I'd like some recommendations please.
The panel work is done, the stuff we'll be buying is mechanical stuff, brakes, suspension, steering, also rubbers and trim, fasteners and some random stuff.
Price is NOT the biggest concern, quality, fit/finish and longevity is far more important than saving a couple of quid.

Who would you use?
Perhaps some companies are better at some stuff than other stuff, what are peoples experiences.
Thanks in advance.
jedgarrett
Minor Friendly

Re: Which parts suppliers get your business?

Post by jedgarrett »

ESM,Local ish to me and have always been very helpfull,Bull Motif on a few occasions
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hahaha -since we are not allowed to criticise suppliers -you are not going to get any sensible answers except by PM. MOSS have one of the best websites - but I can't comment on their prices compared to others. If there is a supplier within easy reach - perhaps try them to save on carriage costs. You can always ask for a discount if you are going to spend a worthwhile amount of money.
ImageImage
beelzibus
Minor Friendly

Post by beelzibus »

bmcecosse wrote:Hahaha -since we are not allowed to criticise suppliers
Oh right, like that is it. Shame. :(
In the real world people with poor business ethics or poor quality products get their just deserts by earning a poor reputation. If a site like this decides it should censor people's discussion of such matters, then the poor businesses will do nothing to improve their ways. Why should they? They'll get a share of the business available by default.
Conversely the best suppliers will not get the good rep and subsequent greater share of the marketplace they deserve.
Feel free to PM me folks.
I've already bought a bunch of repair panels which needed a great deal of reworking to fit, and these were handmade and supposedly of better quality than the mass produced junk the classic car scene is awash with. Sometimes it makes you wonder why you bother.
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

I don't think it makes a lot of difference as to which supplier you use, as they seem to source their stock from the same wholesalers. I always try and find new old stock on ebay before ordering new, as the quality is usually better. I've also always found ESM & Leadbetters of Chorley (though he doesn't do web orders) to be very good too.
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hahaha - were the panels 'hand made' in Sri Lanka by any chance ???
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Yes, unfortunately critisism of suppliers is against the T&Cs of the site - its to prevent potential legal action against the club.

You can, however, post as many posative comments about suppliers as you like!

With regards to panel fits for the minor the "mass produced" panels are normally better than the hand made ones. The heritage panels tend to be the best. There have been plenty of issues with poor quality parts - but if you search the site when you are ready to buy I suspect you will find most of them!

New Old Stock are generally the best things to get if you can find them! (I am sitting on 2 x NOS front wings, a rear wing and front panel for my car when I restore it - but given how things are I may need to sell them :cry: )
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Up until recently I've used ESM as their website and speed of delivery is second to none. Unfortunately of late I've received poor fitting and sub standard components (no problem with getting refunded). I then looked around and have purchased components from the Birmingham Morris Minor centre which seem better. However, their speed of service isn't as good as ESM, but I wasn't in a hurry. I realise that there are limited suppliers of Morris Minor parts, but I consider that items sold should be fit for purpose, and for this the suppliers have to stand up and be counted.
I'll still use ESM for certain parts in the future, but will be selective.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I too find it best to shop around a bit. I used to get all my stuff from Bull Motif but have also found the service from the Morris Minor Centre Birmingham (David Manners) to be very good and quick (so far). So now I alternate between them (and occasionally ESM) depending on what I am looking for.
There's nothing like thriving competition for keeping companies on their toes and prices down. :D
Another good source can be eBay, depending on what you are looking for.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
andygill
Minor Fan

Post by andygill »

I' use both Bull Motif and ESM. There is one supplier who I don't use who charge a fortune for postage.
a8pte
Minor Fan

Post by a8pte »

esm without a doubt every time.ihave spent nearly £2000.00 and not one complaint.ask fpr mark or scott.....
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

For some components it's also worth looking at the Mini suppliers, such as Mini Spares and Mini Sport. Particularly for certain engine and carb components and especially if you've done things like upgraded your cylinder head to a 12G940, as quality and prices seem good. However, be careful that you're choosing the right component as part numbers may be different.

My biggest bugbear with all of the suppliers is postage, which seems very inflexible even when you are ordering a few or light weight parts.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

ESM all the way !! :D :D

morrisminorbzh
Minor Fan

Post by morrisminorbzh »

ESM before others for me as well, their website is easy to use.
However delivery is often a problem because things get held up in the French post-office depot at Roissy-Charles de Gaulle.
One or two days from ESM to Roissy, a week or more from Roissy to my letter box.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

got to say....... i only use ESM. there customer focus is better than the rest. ALWAYS had my goods delivered the following day.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

A lot depends on which parts you require. Although many parts are common between suppliers, not eveyr supplier has every part. Morris Minor Centre Birmingham (Now David Manners) has superb knowledge and excellent service, ESM has a brilliant web site, Tom Roy and Leadbetters are always helpful. Chrome parts may have the same base, but the quality of the chrome does vary - Birmingham has the best specification.
beelzibus
Minor Friendly

Post by beelzibus »

As I said in the first post, quality, fit and finish and the longevity of parts is of more concern to me than saving a couple of quid.
Obviously NOS is the best choice, but that's firmly in the domain of private individuals, collecting parts over a long time for long term projects that are a labour of love. I'm just after getting this built for the customer in as good a state as possible, and of course wanting it to last as long as possible. We've already come to the conclusion that originally they were built pretty poorly, we should be able to improve on that for sure.
Again as I said in the first post: "The panel work is done, the stuff we'll be buying is mechanical stuff, brakes, suspension, steering, also rubbers and trim, fasteners and some random stuff."
So where there is a quality difference, who supplies the better parts?
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

For perhaps hard to find original parts, there is a consensus that many modern replica parts are not up to scratch, I would contact Chris or Yvonne at Tom Roy.
They are not afraid to impart advice and break lost cause vehicles to obtain original components.
Where angels fear to tread
the_count
Minor Friendly

Post by the_count »

relitively new to the scene, but the folks who I bought my moggy off, along with my bosses step-dad have all recomended TomRoy. Have used them for most of my stuff & never had a complaint. Always got the stuff next-day too :)

I also use Green & White Mini Spares, I've used them for many many years dating back to my old grasser days, really great folk with plenty of info (I live just round the corner so handy local jobby).

Other than that fleabay all the way
55 Splitscreen - "Betty Bones"

Portfolio: http://www.gvgraphics.co.uk ------- Whitby Kustom Show:http://www.whitbykustom.com