Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatt
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Advice Please

Post by MoggyMatt »

Hello to everyone. My name is Matt and I am a new young (ish) Owners Club member looking to purchase what will be my first Minor.

I have viewed an otherwise in quite good condition 948 Minor that has some visible rust (4 inches by 5 inches long patch) on one of the chassis legs (driver side running from bulkhead to front of car) and missing jacking points on both sides. The vendor (an extremely nice chap) said that they were lost when new metal was welded into the floors. The floor inside and out do look very solid. I'm just wondering if lack of jacking points will be a problem. Also, the gearbox is very crunchy when changing down due to worn synchro. It's apparently been like this for several years. Problem? or do they all do that?

The car is in good, but far from mint condition, though I quite like old cars to look a bit lived in. Wings have rust in the usual places (at their base next to doors, at front around lights and around the arches) but are not terminal and probably have a good few years use in them yet. The boot lid edge is a bit frilly (but not that bad) and there is some rust visible when passenger door is opened. Also, the driver door jumps a catch when car goes over a bump. The paint is shiny and smart, resprayed in mid 80s, though there is the odd evidence of filler here and there, and it is a bit orange peely in places too. The engine starts on the button, though it had been run before I arrived (bonnet warm when I felt it, and it was parked in the shade) but it does not run on when turned off and restarts easily when hot. The seats are split and very scruffy, but I quite fancy a car that I can re-trim. Maybe. Overall, it is a very honest, and very genuine little car that looks presentable and drives very well. Feels strange having no seat belts though. Are these easy to fit? It's far and away the best car that I have seen so far. We've provisionally agreed on £1700 which is pretty much at the top of my budget. I quite like it, but don't wan't to let my desire to own a Minor lead me into taking on the wrong car. I'm not in a particular hurry to buy, though bad health means that I probably won't be driving in a years time. The purchase of a Minor will be the realisation of a dream car while I can still enjoy it.

Worth proceeding with a professional inspection? or should I keep looking?

Advice much appreciated

Matt
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Advice Please

Post by chesney »

Welcome :D
My gearbox is hopeless too - double declutching helps. I can no longer get into first in mine if its moving..
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Let others know what part of the world you live in, there may well be someone on here who is close by and would be happy to have a look and provide a second opinion.

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Is the MOT recent? Did you give a good push with your fingers on the rusty chassis leg and the sills? This could give an indication if rust is terminal or not.

The car won't be a problem without jacking points, you can jack up elsewhere using a decent trolley jack.

If the underside of the car is solid and the rust just surface, then £1700 sounds a nice buy.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

MoggyMatt
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatt »

welshrat wrote:Let others know what part of the world you live in, there may well be someone on here who is close by and would be happy to have a look and provide a second opinion.

I live in Carterton, Oxfordshire. 15 miles outside of Oxford on the Cheltenham side.

The car is in Woodley, near Reading. Circa 50 miles (1hour 20 min from my home.

The car is very tempting and the vendor is a really decent and honest chap. He has been really patient with me and has pointed out to me all of the cars faults. He even refused a higher offer from someone trying to hijack my wanted add in order to buy the car out from under me. Not too many of those about. I'm extremely tempted, I just don't want to do anything silly. £1700 is a lot of money to me and the purchase is a big decision. Ultimately, my family are going to have to sell the car on when I'm gone and I don't want to leave them with something difficult to move on.

It seems to be a good car, I think I just need to hear from someone who knows Minors well that the car is good and solid, the rust, jacking points and gearbox are not a problem.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It is a good thing that the jacking points are missing then you will not be tempted to use them.
PM Sent
[sig]3580[/sig]
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Budgie »

Hmmmm, seems a bit much at £1700 considering the faults that you've ponted out but thats just my opinion :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I agree - £1700 is FAR TOO MUCH considering the rust you have described. No jack points is good - and the gearbox is not a problem till it jumps out of gear. But the rust you describe is soon going to cost a fair bit to correct....... It's hard to say without any pictures - but I think £1000 is nearer the mark - and then only with a BRAND NEW MOT !
ImageImage
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

Richard Plant of Minor Parts of Oxford is just up the road from you at Ascott under Wychwood. He will be able to advise you if you give him a call on 01993 830349. Richard is a great guy who really knows his Minors and who may be able to point you in the direction of a good buy if you have let this one go. Hope that helps.
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I agree with the others: 1700 is too much. Based on your description £700 would be nearer the mark... remember any visible rust is 10 times worse underneath where you can't see.

If it has no tax and no or short MoT forget it would be my advice.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have offered to look at the car so I can drag him away if it is a disaster
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done ! Don't be fooled by the 'turned down a better offer just for you' scam...... :roll:
ImageImage
MoggyMatt
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatt »

bmcecosse wrote:Well done ! Don't be fooled by the 'turned down a better offer just for you' scam...... :roll:

I did wonder about that... though to be fair to the vendor, he has been very honest with me and has helped to point out all the problem areas, even the ones I had missed. I was a little wary of why the car had been run before I arrived though. The bonnet was warm even though the car was in the shade.

I'm extremely grateful to Mike for looking at the car for me ( a really really big thank you), though now that I've slept on it, I think I may have to rule this one out anyway. The car I really wan't is one that is really good in body (no rust anywhere) and mechanicals but with a rough interior that I can re-trim. I can do needle and thread, carpet glue etc, just not welding or spannering.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmmm - you will pay a lot more for one like that! Body condition is EVERYTHING.....
ImageImage
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
MoggyMatt
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatt »

plastic_orange wrote:Have a look here:

http://mog.myfreeforum.org/about6224.html

Pete

Alas car is no longer for sale :-(