Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
xlollx
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

I'm am slowly giving up on my MM. One problem after another

Post by xlollx »

I love my morris minor dearly, only owned it for a month or so but I am fast giving up on it. I expect problems with a classic car but it seems to be one problem after another.

First the brake cylinder and break shoes need replacing cos of leaking break fluid.

Recently the car has become reluctant to start.

Then yesterday I noticed a small hole in petrol tank.

Now my boyfriend has just called to say he was driving down dual carriageway and the accelerator got stuck and he had to pull onto the side of the road.

Having to phone break down as we speak.

Do the problems never stop?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: I'm am slowly giving up on my MM. One problem after another

Post by MarkyB »

How much did you pay for the car and what did it say in the advert?
You can expect some issues but that does sound rather excessive.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
xlollx
Minor Friendly

Post by xlollx »

I've sent you a message Marky B.

After my boyfriend lifted up the bonnet, the problem was with the spring on the accelerator. He stretched it and it seemed to do the job, Working and no need to call breakdown but probably only a matter of time before I have to.

Is it worth me taking car for a service to a garage?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Long winded reply sent :)
You didn't buy a new car, some teething problems are to be expected, don't give up so easily.

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Dont be disheartned, I can understand why you could be especially as most of the faults you have need to be done in a garage.
Persevere with it and once you get it running correctlly no one will be able to wipe the smile off your face. :D

Have you got a local classic car garage nearby? they will be more understanding of the quirks of a minor and will be able to advise you. Remember each minor has a personality of its own :)
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
xlollx
Minor Friendly

Post by xlollx »

Mine certainly has a personality of it's own, a lazy one! Doesn't want to start in the mornings and would prefer sitting pretty at the side of the road. Or broken down on the side of the road. :wink:

I shall persevere. I never thought I would say this, a lady at the age of 29 but I think I need to enrol on a simple car mechanic course.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Whenever you acquire a "new" car, you never know what you are getting. Some issues are to be expected. None of what you have described is really serious. As long as the structure of the car is OK, then it's all fixable - very easily, and relatively cheaply too. Once you have serviced the car and learned to understand it, you'll find that (a) it's just about the most reliable car you can ever own, and (b) you won;t be able to stop grinning.

You don't need a course, just join your local branch and come along to any of the MMOC events. There are hundreds of people just waiting to share their knowledge with you. We all started somewhere, knowing nothing much, but most can hold forth for hours on the Minor :lol: One thing that will be useful is a workshop manual to lead you through the servicing. Stick with it.
xlollx
Minor Friendly

Post by xlollx »

My local branch - Lincolnshire has a one in one out policy. I think I have to wait until someone dies to get in! I may have to join Cambridgshire or Northamptonshire instead.
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

I've never head of a branch restricting membership before.. Did they tell you that themselves?

Jon Rocke
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Oh dear, try another branch, I'd be very surprised to find another branch that pays so little heed to the clubs mission statement.

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

xlollx wrote:I love my morris minor dearly, only owned it for a month or so but I am fast giving up on it. I expect problems with a classic car but it seems to be one problem after another.

First the brake cylinder and break shoes need replacing cos of leaking break fluid.

Recently the car has become reluctant to start.

Then yesterday I noticed a small hole in petrol tank.

Now my boyfriend has just called to say he was driving down dual carriageway and the accelerator got stuck and he had to pull onto the side of the road.

Having to phone break down as we speak.

Do the problems never stop?
Your car has probably been only used for shows for years. Work through all the "Minor!" problems such as you have described and the car will be great and reliable for years. Just niggles really. The problems will stop and then you will have a reliable car for years of service. (see mine below!)

The last one is just the failure (or come loose) of the throttle return spring that costs just a couple of quid for a new one.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

xlollx wrote:My local branch - Lincolnshire has a one in one out policy. I think I have to wait until someone dies to get in! I may have to join Cambridgshire or Northamptonshire instead.
No, Lincolnshire certainly isn't 'one in, one out' - you've accidentally slipped between Lincs branch pages (http://theminorsite.co.uk/about-the-lincs-branch), an official, legitimate, and occasionally even upstanding branch of the MMOC, and the Motley Crew branch (http://theminorsite.co.uk/motley-crew-branch), an irreverant, officially unsanctioned, and usually barmy bunch of individuals who have policies they dream up pretty much as they go along.
You are, as others have pointed out in this thread, most definitely welcome at Lincs branch, and we'd love you to come along and see if we can proffer any advice on your Moggy. Unfortunately you've just missed the branch meeting (last night), but pop in at the next one on first Monday of the month and you'll be sure of a decent welcome.
Sorry for any confusion - I really hadn't thought it was possible to mix up the two elements on the site. I'll certainly look at making the distinction more visible!
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
MMaurice52
Minor Friendly

Post by MMaurice52 »

Keep at it!

I've owned my '52 MM since 1983 and it's only broken down once.

I must add that I teach Auto. technicians and have been a mechanic for over 35 years.

Marc
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Bet you're annoyed, ready with the knowhow but only needed once!! :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

First thing is to get it starting reliably - is the starter motor turning it over nice and quickly - or is it struggling to turn the engine?
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

xlollx wrote:I've sent you a message Marky B.

After my boyfriend lifted up the bonnet, the problem was with the spring on the accelerator. He stretched it and it seemed to do the job, Working and no need to call breakdown but probably only a matter of time before I have to.

Is it worth me taking car for a service to a garage?
My own experience was not too dissimilar, purchased with the benefit of being "original" which is upbeat speak for "well worn"
The issues turned out in the end to be troublesome but fixable, a lot like yours.
Dont give up, with time and mileage under your belt your confidence will grow in the car and all the benefits will eventually become apparent.
By all means get to know the local enthusiasts or a friendly local garage with the right support, post all your issues here for free advice, I do.
A minor beats the hell out of a eurobox and figaro types are just pastiche,stick with it and fall in love all over again :D
Scuse me while I just wipe this tear from my eye :(
Where angels fear to tread
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

xlollx - heartily agree with what Mike said about the Lincs Branch - you couldn't meet a friendlier bunch and I can confirm as a club and branch member since 1985 - there is no 'one in one out' policy in Lincs or any other official branch of the club for that matter.

Hidden amongst our membership are some VERY knowledgeable bods who know just about every problem and how to fix them. PLEASE feel free to bring your car along to a meeting or PM myself or Mike (the minor site) for more info/help. Where in Lincolnshire are you based?

Look at it this way, you have resurrected an old car and are using it for the purpose it was intended for. There will inevitably be some breakages and replacements needed but you are slowly eliminating all the traditional items that need replacing. Very soon you'll have an ultra reliable car to be proud of. PLEASE don't give up - you'll be sad that you did. Good luck and don't forget to come and try us! :D

StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Dont give up! Minors are reliable with some maintenance. When I first got mine it was rather unpredictable. The poor old thing had been run into the ground by about 30 previous owners.. I gave it a good service: new plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap, HT leads, ignition coil. Changed the oil in the engine, gearbox and axle, new oil/air filters, cleaned out carb and fuel pump filter, greased all the grease points, new brake shoes and cylinders all round and a new battery. (I think that was about all) This may seem over the top but it gave me a very reliable car.

Once the car is in regular use it should be fine, they like being used!

Hope all goes ok.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The car was probably completely reliable with it's last owner but has noticed that it has a new driver and is testing you. First thing, always carry a tool box in the boot, you may not know how to use it but the car does not know that. Spend some time looking under the bonnet, pulling plug leads and wires to check if everything is tight. Give it a polish or kick the hubcaps depending on your mood. When it realises that it can't get away with it, it will behave itself.
I count myself as experienced with 40 years of Minor driving but every new Minor I have driven has broken down with some completely random fault
[sig]3580[/sig]
xlollx
Minor Friendly

Post by xlollx »

Aww, thanks guys.

Well, I've ordered a new spring throttle return (that should eradicate the accelerator getting stuck issue). But since stretching the old one it's been okay!

My boyfriend has used it the last couple of days (taken it to Leicester which is a good 50 mile round trip) and it had no issues. Sometimes it will start, sometimes not. If it doesn't start it works to put it in reverse and roll it a bit and that seems to do the job!) I'll get the workshop handbook out at weekend and I'll have a look at starter ring and battery.

The petrol tank is leaking sporadically. It can leak one day and not the next! For now I'm going to monitor situation (as I can't afford a new petrol tank) and I know it's not a permanent fix but I've got some petro putty.

I'm trying to look at this all in a positive sense.

For the Lincolnshire club members, thank you for your kind words. I'm in Stamford, Lincs so I'm still debating whether I would be better to go along to a Cambridgshire, Lincs or Northamptonshire club. They are all pretty close by.