By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Scotland National

Post by moggiethouable »

Is there a National held In Scotland?
or equivalent?
I am an awful long way from the one based in England.
Where angels fear to tread
kingzdjc

Re: Scotland National

Post by kingzdjc »

Technically the national means exactly that, the national Minor event of the UK, so I would think not. Maybe if Scotland gets independence, then probably yes.

Though you have pointed something important out, and that is the national should really be held more in the north of England, as it is much more central position within the UK.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
MMOC Member: No

Post by chesney »

I second that! Should be closer to the centre (if poss)
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

chesney wrote:I second that! Should be closer to the centre (if poss)
Exactly. Though like many things here, again everything is south centric (though Northamptonshire is technically midlands)
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

It costs a lot of money to stage the National Rally & these costs have to be recouped - in previous years when the rally has been held further North (eg Scunthorpe) of further South (eg Bremore) there has been a low attendance & the rally has lost money.

Rog
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

There are 2 Branch Rallies held in Scotland every year. The 'Northern' one takes place at Fyvie Castle, with the 'Southern' one moving venues - both now past (June).

Check here for Scottish Listings:

http://mog.myfreeforum.org/about4882.html
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

HarryMango wrote:It costs a lot of money to stage the National Rally & these costs have to be recouped - in previous years when the rally has been held further North (eg Scunthorpe) of further South (eg Bremore) there has been a low attendance & the rally has lost money.

Rog
I dont doubt the reasons for placing the National Regionally where it has been historically are sound,but there are equally superb venues available in a more central locations.
If the current National get together is just that,National, then it should reflect (as has been pointed out to me) the Nation as it stands at the moment, prior to Scots Independence.
To the Scots, placing the National as far South as it is, is equivalent to anyone based in the South of England, considering driving the equivalent distance to Aberdeen.
Even Birmingham is therefore not central to the Nation if the Nation includes as it does the North of Great Britain.
All parts of Yorkshire offer superb locations,as do parts of the North West coast and still they remain relatively equidistant.
Image attracts punters too though,so the holiday destinations of Cumbria, Yorkshire Durham et.al all are attractive to the traveller,no pun intended.As for Scunthorpe I have only visited on business but have never holidayed there, an interesting choice and not everybodys first as it is fairly unknown compared for instance with parts of Scotland or the regions aforementioned.
I wondered not if the Club would relocate the National, simply I wondered if there was an equivalent closer to home, but as the tin of worms is open,there we are.........so endeth the diatribe. :wink:
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

The sad fact is that big events are held where the most population is. Over the years I've travelled hundreds of miles to shows as far away as Devon (my choice). The average (I did say average here :) ) enthusiast down south considers anything over 50 miles a trek.
Buyers tip :wink: make your Minor purchases in Scotland - cars here are well travelled (tried and tested).
In the Hot Rod scene this certainly holds true, as who would build a car that could only do a few miles to a Rally :D

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

Just come back from the National, and found out by one of the organisers that next year is in Oxford, and for up to 4 years after the National event is to be held down south!

Ridiculous really, and unfair. Ive come from north Cheshire, and my Minor has the small 803 engine. So not taking the motorways, just taking the minor roads, it took around 6 hours just to get to this years national! I feel so sorry for those further up north.

Somebody mentioned about events being held where most of the population is, (I believe they mean London, in which case most Londoners dont believe life exists outside of London), but that is simply untrue. What about Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh? Some of the UKs most important and populous cities?
Also, what about those from Scotland? I heard of one Scot who travelled 400 odd miles to the event!

The national should really be held in the centre of the UK ideally, which would be in Northern England, or at least alternated between the South and North. Rant over :D
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

plastic_orange wrote:There are 2 Branch Rallies held in Scotland every year. The 'Northern' one takes place at Fyvie Castle, with the 'Southern' one moving venues - both now past (June).

Check here for Scottish Listings:

http://mog.myfreeforum.org/about4882.html
Thanks for this, most useful.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

kingzdjc wrote: Somebody mentioned about events being held where most of the population is, (I believe they mean London, in which case most Londoners dont believe life exists outside of London), but that is simply untrue. What about Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh? Some of the UKs most important and populous cities?
Also, what about those from Scotland? I heard of one Scot who travelled 400 odd miles to the event! The national should really be held in the centre of the UK ideally, which would be in Northern England, or at least alternated between the South and North.
The problem is that the National needs to be accessible to as many members as possible in order to be financially viable. It also needs a venue of 80 - 100 acres (excluding camping) so the choice of available locations is limited. Leeds is as far north as it can be to ensure a good attendance, and believe it or not some 'southerners' do believe that life exists outside London and don’t mind driving for 6 hours or more to get to a rally! And don’t forget there is also a regular large attendance of members from places such as Ireland and Holland.

Here’s a list of the rally locations for the last 35 years and as you can see, the locations do vary:

1977 & 1978 Stanford Hall (Leicestershire)
1979 Woburn Abbey (Bedfordshire)
1980 & 1981 Donnington Park (Derby)
1982 Woburn Park (Bedfordshire)
1983 - 1988 Weston Park (Staffordshire)
1989 & 1990 Knebworth (Hertfordshire)
1991 Harewood House (Leeds)
1992 Billing Aquadrome (Northampton)
1993 Harewood House (Leeds)
1994 Billing Aquadrome (Northampton)
1995 & 1996 Knebworth (Hertfordshire)
1997 Sandringham (Norfolk)
1998 Blenheim Palace (Oxfordshire)
1999 Hawkesworth Park (Yorkshire)
2000 Harewood House (Leeds)
2001 Lichfield (Staffordshire)
2002 Harewood House (Leeds)
2003 Kenilworth (Hertfordshire)
2004 Donnington Park (Derby)
2005 Breamore House (Hampshire)
2006 Normanby Hall (Lincolnshire)
2007 Kelmarsh Hall (Northampton)
2008 Stamford Hall (Leicestershire)
2009 Haynes Motor Museum (Somerset)
2010 Harewood House (Leeds)
2011 Knebworth (Hertfordshire)

Eric - 1971 Traveller
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

LouiseM wrote:
kingzdjc wrote: Somebody mentioned about events being held where most of the population is, (I believe they mean London, in which case most Londoners dont believe life exists outside of London), but that is simply untrue. What about Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh? Some of the UKs most important and populous cities?
Also, what about those from Scotland? I heard of one Scot who travelled 400 odd miles to the event! The national should really be held in the centre of the UK ideally, which would be in Northern England, or at least alternated between the South and North.
The problem is that the National needs to be accessible to as many members as possible in order to be financially viable. It also needs a venue of 80 - 100 acres (excluding camping) so the choice of available locations is limited. Leeds is as far north as it can be to ensure a good attendance, and believe it or not some 'southerners' do believe that life exists outside London and don’t mind driving for 6 hours or more to get to a rally! And don’t forget there is also a regular large attendance of members from places such as Ireland and Holland.

Here’s a list of the rally locations for the last 35 years and as you can see, the locations do vary:

1977 & 1978 Stanford Hall (Leicestershire)
1979 Woburn Abbey (Bedfordshire)
1980 & 1981 Donnington Park (Derby)
1982 Woburn Park (Bedfordshire)
1983 - 1988 Weston Park (Staffordshire)
1989 & 1990 Knebworth (Hertfordshire)
1991 Harewood House (Leeds)
1992 Billing Aquadrome (Northampton)
1993 Harewood House (Leeds)
1994 Billing Aquadrome (Northampton)
1995 & 1996 Knebworth (Hertfordshire)
1997 Sandringham (Norfolk)
1998 Blenheim Palace (Oxfordshire)
1999 Hawkesworth Park (Yorkshire)
2000 Harewood House (Leeds)
2001 Lichfield (Staffordshire)
2002 Harewood House (Leeds)
2003 Kenilworth (Hertfordshire)
2004 Donnington Park (Derby)
2005 Breamore House (Hampshire)
2006 Normanby Hall (Lincolnshire)
2007 Kelmarsh Hall (Northampton)
2008 Stamford Hall (Leicestershire)
2009 Haynes Motor Museum (Somerset)
2010 Harewood House (Leeds)
2011 Knebworth (Hertfordshire)
Leeds, perfect. :D
Were the Leeds shows profitable?
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

There were plenty Scots members at the Nationals this year, but cost is a major factor - fuel alone for me going would have been 40 gallons :o so I chose not to this year.

Pete
Tamsin
Minor Friendly

Post by Tamsin »

Stop moaning about the southerners! I spent £80 on fuel and had a combined round trip of over 11 hours this year - 5 there and 6 back...
1968 Maroon 2 Door
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Tamsin wrote:Stop moaning about the southerners! I spent £80 on fuel and had a combined round trip of over 11 hours this year - 5 there and 6 back...
A cheap day out then :D . I wasn't 'moaning' btw, just pointing out realities.
In the interest of fairness the National really needs to come North (well less far South than usual).

Pete
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

hi
just a thought ,does the club known a regional basis the locations of moggie owners?

As a gut feeling I think if you drew a line across Birmingham ,more live in the south of it.

I realise that living in Brum,given that list of past venues I would not have the problem of extra long journeys,and I must admit the thought of say a rally in Newcastle would make me think twice :(

So congratulations to those who traveled long and hard :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

there was loads of us down from Scotland (7) our group of guys did a combined milage of 4,800 miles but would not miss it
and it will be further next year and we will be down ........ :P

SCOTTISH BRANCH CHAIRMAN .
EwenCameron
Minor Fan

Post by EwenCameron »

I was one of the seven from Scotland. Inverkip on the west coast. Brilliant weekend. Would be good if the rally could come a bit closer but the fun on the motorways with all the rain made it a great weekend. Really thought that the venue was first class this year. Showers were great and toilets were clean all weekend. Well done to the organisers. Will just need to start saving for next years. I attended the Scottish rally in Crieff this year and recommend to anyone joining the Scottish Branch of MM Club.

morrisfixer
Minor Fan

Post by morrisfixer »

That made me laugh, one of the mmoc members who won a prize travelled 200 miles well done ! I spent £165 on fuel and 9hrs driving down and 8 1/2 hrs, 750 miles round trip coming back up to Scotland. I'm sure there's a field in Scotland that can accomadate 500 Morris minors and their owners :lol: I was told that next years nationals is in Oxford, I better start saving :evil: saying that I had a brilliant weekend with ma mates and met some really nice people :D

Stevie

mogimad
Minor Friendly

Post by mogimad »

shur shur..........

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

D.