Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
convertibled
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Engine and gearbox rebuilders?

Post by convertibled »

I want to rebuild my 1964 1098 engine and gearbox and can't decide wether to do it myself or do and exchange from one of the Morris suppliers. I know if I do it myself it will be right but when I start to add up the cost of the parts I could get a rebuild for not a lot more. Has anybody had experience of or could recommend a Company to use who will do a "proper" job to give me and "as new" unit and not just a cosmetic tart up??
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Engine and gearbox rebuilders?

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum...... Depends where you are - you need to tell us! Fill in your profile details. A service exchange crank from Bull Motif is still a good buy (was a screaming bargain until recently!) , and pistons are readily available - so just look up your local yellow pages for a someone to rebore the block for you. Then just add a new oil pump + timing chain and gears + cam followers + gaskets and job done. Gearbox overhaul is a bit more difficult - and not all parts are readily available to do the job properly. Laygear doesn't seem to be available now, and very very often the 1st gear teeth on that are ruined..... - it really depends how bad the box is when you open it up. Has it been acting up in service ?
ImageImage
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

ESM are cheaper on the crankshaft and you get a set of thrust washers. :)
convertibled
Minor Friendly

Post by convertibled »

Thanks Guys
What I realy want to know is that if I buy a "fully reconditioned" from Bull Motif or similar will the quality be as good as I could get by using my local workshop to do the rebore etc then buy the parts and assemble myself?

Carl
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Carl, If you know how to do it properly then you will be sure of the rebuild quality but a bought recon engine etc should be fine, although there has to be an element of trust, on your part, as to what has been renewed.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Being of a slightly sneaky disposition, I'd find out who they use and get them to do it.
Thus cutting out the middle mans premium.
Even better do it yourself, it's not hard, and much more rewarding.

Avoid the cheapest available ones, you might not get more than a coat of paint on a piece of junk!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Carl

Try getting in touch with Tom Roy in Great Ayton, they should be able to advise you

Tel: 01642 723400

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

DIY it - great satisfaction when it works. ESM don't seem to offer an exchange 1098 crankshaft..... Interestingly though - they do offer an exchange 'block' (so I guess rebored) and an exchange block assembly ( I guess rebore/pistons/crank regrind)- which may be a good/economic way to go.
ImageImage
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Exchange crank listed here http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 45f148bee2
Where did you see the exchange blocks? I can only see a recon block with some pistons but no crank.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh right -I couldn't find that.......dunno why not! Yes - block with pistons - if your crank is ok (unlikely I suspect) could be a way forward.
ImageImage
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

It's not clear what that exchange block includes. If it is just a rebored block and pistons then it doesn't seem such a good deal. I will enquire as to what it includes.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You should get a warranty with an exchange engine, if you DIY you get no warranty if it is wrong
[sig]3580[/sig]
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Yes, it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. Go cheaper and DIY and hope you get it all done correct or pay out the money but have the reassurance of a warranty. I must say that for the money though a years warranty (18months from Bull Motif) doesn't seem much. Think of other more complex and expensive items that you buy today and it's not difficult to get 2,3 or even 5 years warranty.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

other more complex and expensive items that you buy today
These are things that have been made from scratch, brand new, not using 50 year old components with unknown history.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"