Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tea
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Early Minor leg room

Post by Tea »

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking into getting our second Morris Minor. We're hopefully getting a Series II 2 -door with the original seats. Does anyone know what the leg room is like on the drivers side? Neither of us have sat in one before and are a little unsure if it'll be comfortable enough at a slightly taller than average 6'1".

Any help would be hugely appreciated :)
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Early Minor leg room

Post by irmscher »

im 6 ft and its fine
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if its not its a very simple job to drill hole holes further back to move the seats,there is a long enough support under the floor to take it back by two or three inches so don't let it worry you,its only two holes each seat,1 hours job at the most,there's allready two positions available I think.
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

Excellent! Thank you very much. I'll be continuing my search :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

When you try out the seat, make sure that it is in the rearmost set of holes and the adjuster is in the furthest back position.
The early Series 2 had the horizontally pleated Series MM seats, most comfortable of all Minor seats, later Series 2s had vertical pleated seats
[sig]3580[/sig]
JSimons
Minor Friendly

Post by JSimons »

I am 6 ft 4 and have driven a 200 mile journey in my series II convertible no problem.

Hope this helps.
robberred1993
Minor Friendly

Post by robberred1993 »

JSimons wrote:I am 6 ft 4 and have driven a 200 mile journey in my series II convertible no problem.

Hope this helps.
Is that with the roof down though ;)
Part-Time most things, Full-time Scouter
JSimons
Minor Friendly

Post by JSimons »

robberred1993 wrote:
JSimons wrote:I am 6 ft 4 and have driven a 200 mile journey in my series II convertible no problem.

Hope this helps.
Is that with the roof down though ;)
Haha, nope, with the roof closed. Have plentiful headroom. Eye-line is just below top of the windscreen though.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

On early cars the clutch and brake pedals were closer together so if you have big plates it might take some getting used to
[sig]3580[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've done the John O'Groats to Lands End run 3 times in my '53 convertible with its original MM style seats with no problems (at least not with the seats and being comfy!) and I'm over 6foot. I recall it used to take about 17-18hours, and yes we were silly enough to do it with the hood down all the way one year.. :o
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

That's a run that we should try and resurrect I reckon. If folks can drive from Edinburgh to London on a Lawn Mower, we should see if there is any ineterst in getting the JOGLE back up and running again :D

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well, the run was abandoned due to the difficulty in getting voluteers to run it. Ie: someone to go up to the start and more crucially, someone to go down to Lands End and stay up all night ready to provide refreshments and a welcome at short notice!
Obviously the person doing the start could take part in the run, but it had reached the stage where those who a had wanted to do it already had and didn't want to keep doing it. The expense of fuel and accomodation was offputting for both organisers and entrants, though there always seemed to be a a ready number of entrants.
I would have volunteered to help, having done the run about ten times in various vehicles, but in 2010 couldn't justify the time off work, and last year had two month old twins so dashing about Scotland or Cornwall wasn't really an option. :-?

And out of all the cars I did the run in, the early convertible was easily the most comfy, possibly closely seconded by a friends Mk3 Spitfire. Worst was a late saloon with knackered seat straps. Hours spent shuffling about on a cushion trying to get blood to flow again.... :o
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Be aware that the passenger seat on a Series II does NOT adjust.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

None of the passenger seats do, they are getting a ride in a Morris, what do they want? Jam on it :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It's a bit poor, especially on the late 60's/70's cars, however it was always a bog-standard, no-frills cheapo car.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Just have a look for a good second hand drivers seat - or get a good frame - and recover it - then put it on the passenger side - then you have two adjustable seats - simples! :D

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Wondered who'd be the first to spot that one! :wink:
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

At least on the earlier cars the backrest folded and the seat tipped forward to aid entry to the back seats
Later cars did away with the folding backrest
[sig]3580[/sig]