Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

How to Mount Stereo In Glovebox?

Post by mollythemoggie »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to mount a stereo inside your glovebox? I was hoping to put mine in there and was wondering what approach people had taken i.e. wood panel screwed in somehow? where are the screws mounted etc..

any photos would be fantastic!

Cheers,
Tom
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Re: How to Mount Stereo In Glovebox?

Post by stephenpolhill »

Hello!
As my car is original, I didn't want to go drilling holes or fittings so mine is in the glovebox behind the steering wheel (no cover on this one). I put a hole in the glovebox lining; this can be replaced easily, and put the wires through there. The speakers are fitted into a piece of wood that is fitted using the existing holes under the dash. It is easy to access to change tracks rather than behind a glovebox cover or the other side of the car which can be dangerous.

Hope this helps
Steve

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
PulpitNeil
Minor Friendly

Post by PulpitNeil »

Hi Tom,

My head unit is just placed loose in the glovebox for the timebeing, with holes cut out of the back of the lining for the wires to pass through.

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ie/UNIVERSAL-SINGLE-DIN ... 20b9099a69 mounted upside down in the glovebox will give it a bit more stability on bumpy roads, as well as making it look like a more finished job.

-Neil

'65 Traveller. Formerly FKX 760C, now ZV 9577 (Irish - age related)
167,000 miles and counting.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Mine is mounted in a sheet of wood approx 10-15mm thick, which is screwed in from underneath and nicely wedged inside the passenger glovebox. mine has the earlier style flush fitting glove box lids, so it is mounted a few cm back, so that with the face on the stereo the glove box lids still closes (i also removed the wood from the inside of the lid as to give it extra depth). Mine has a similar support as shown above mounted upside down from the bottom of the dash, inside the glovebox as to support the radio. I ahve an amplifier fitted behind the drivers side dashboard (behind glovebox door also) and 2 speakers mounted underneath the dash in the 2 big holes, and a further two (box style) speakers hidden underneath the seats. I also have the aux input running inside the dash, and coming out by the drivers side so i can rest the ipod on the parcel shelf, but the lead is also long enough so the passengers can have the ipod on that side if there selecting the tunes :) I have also covered the wooden radio holder in a 'metal effect' sheet so it looks metal, but was a lot easier to work with and attach. I can take a few pics if you like.
___Anne___

mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Thanks for the reply guys!
yes I was thinking of getting one of those din mounting kits but was trying to pick the right one!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Be aware that water can easily leak into this area.
If there is a tide mark on top of the old glove box you'll need to put some kind of roof over the stereo or it will be ruined the first time it rains when you are out in the car.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
andygill
Minor Fan

Post by andygill »

stephenpolhill wrote:Hello!
As my car is original, I didn't want to go drilling holes or fittings so mine is in the glovebox behind the steering wheel (no cover on this one). I put a hole in the glovebox lining; this can be replaced easily, and put the wires through there. The speakers are fitted into a piece of wood that is fitted using the existing holes under the dash. It is easy to access to change tracks rather than behind a glovebox cover or the other side of the car which can be dangerous.

Hope this helps
Steve
Hi Steve

Sorry for the questions. I'm really interested in your method.

How exactly are your speakers fitted ? Any chance you could take a photo of them ?

Have you fitted an ariel ?

Cheers
Andy
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Course I will take a pic for you now.
Last edited by stephenpolhill on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

[frame]Image[/frame]
This is where the headunit is (behind steering wheel). I couldn't take it out but to the rear of the head unit is the rectangular plug for the back of it. From there came the wires that would fit to the wiring loom of a modern car. I simple put some bullet connectors onto them and wired them to the correct parts (ie live, earth, speakers etc). The wires go through a self made hole in the glovebox material and wherever
[frame]Image[/frame]
The front speakers are in the holes under the dash. I didn't want to drill any holes in the car so made a piece of wood so it would fit within there (after taking the gloveboxes out for access). I then drilled in a nut and bolt as you can see through two existing holes in the car, no idea what they're for but theyre standard. The speaker wire then goes behind the dash to the headunit.
[frame]Image[/frame]
The rear speakers are 6x9s as these give better bass. I built a box to fit them and they simply fit in the rear footwell. My rear seats are rarely used but even if I do need to take passengers, theres plenty of legroom as peoples feet go in front of them rather than to the rear of the footwell. the wires just go back to the head unit.

Hope this helps :) If you're in the area, PM me and you can pop round or meet up.

andygill
Minor Fan

Post by andygill »

stephenpolhill wrote:Course I will take a pic for you now.
Mollymoggie - would you like my old bracket thing (as linked above). I have a spare one I put in the bin yesterday and have dug it out. Perfect condition and has the metal bracket fixed in it and works great.
Lemme know on PM
Have sent a PM Steve

Andy
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

There is also the option of mounting a radio under the dash ( where the two switches are situated in stephenpolhills photo) this has the advantage of avoiding putting ones hand through the steering wheel to operate, or leaning over in an attempt to reach the passenger glove box, if situated there. You then will have a pair of glove boxes you can use, and hopefully safe access! :D

stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

That is the other option. As I mentioned I didn't want to drill holes because 1. I know what i'm like with doing those sort of things! and 2. its original and I didn't fancy risking ruining that.
I have a few times got my hand caught changing tracks round a corner but thats partly because I should've waited :P

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Just out of interest there are original holes underneath already that can be used to mount a bracket, or if you still had positive earth on the car (original) mount a piece of ply for insulation then attach a negative earth(modern) radio. However, each to his own!
ps: Don't be tempted to remove the steering wheel spokes :D

stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Hehe good point, it just was more work ;).
I wonder how people fit them on 3 spoke (older) steering wheels OR the ones with the glove box cover :P

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I have the 3 spoke type and a glovebox lid! The amplifier is a very tight squeeze (much bigger than a radio) you just have to have the door open, the steering wheel at the rights angle to give the biggest possible space through the spokes, and i have to mount the feet with double sided sticky take once the amp is already in.
___Anne___

stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

I used to have a Fusion amp and the 6x9s connected to that and just the iPod connected in, no head unit or anything. That worked well but I use CDs more and was given the CD/Radio unit.

andygill
Minor Fan

Post by andygill »

MarkyB wrote:Be aware that water can easily leak into this area.
If there is a tide mark on top of the old glove box you'll need to put some kind of roof over the stereo or it will be ruined the first time it rains when you are out in the car.
Is there a type of plastic casing that a radio could fit into ?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Yes -there's a link in PulpitNeil's post on first page of this thread.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

I have been thinking of a good stereo set up for my car to me the best option seems to be fitting some two 6x9 speakers in the front kidney panels and some two 3.5 or 4inch on the rear parcel shelf, how does that sound ?
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

youngcamper wrote:I have been thinking of a good stereo set up for my car to me the best option seems to be fitting some two 6x9 speakers in the front kidney panels and some two 3.5 or 4inch on the rear parcel shelf, how does that sound ?
Like a good plan :) as long as you dont mind the speakers/radio system being on show.
___Anne___