University subsitence costs

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: University subsitence costs

Post by Dean »

ASL642 wrote:Our children have got part time jobs to help them through Uni. It's the other things that cost the money like books - some of which can be up to £100 each :o
Quite true, get ahead of yourself though and find someone graduating that would like to part with them. They are a lot cheaper.. also universities and big city libraries carry the books for reference.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

irmscher wrote:Well done Dean :wink: bet your parents are proud
Thank you, yes they are. Fortunately I am now able to treat them from time to time, so they get to see some of the benefits too. I'm not the only one though and some have worked harder then me, you have to try to draw a balance in life somewhere. I get the impression RayofLeamington has done something similar and I'm sure there are many others on here too. The kids of today have to remember there is always someone out there after the same job as you and they will be better than you. Taking MarkyB's advice will make our/your kids just rise above those other normal applicants in the eyes of an employer. They are a little fish in a very big pond.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I tried to get my children the best education and support as i dont forget they are choosing my nursing home :( :lol:
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The days when going to university and getting a degree guaranteed a decent job with a good income and prospects are long gone. It is entirely possible to work for a living straight from school, obtain professional qualifications along the way, and be just as successful (or more so!) than those who have degrees and have been supported by mum & dad :wink:

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Agree with you there Lou, but some jobs require a degree. :( We still need qualified doctors, engineers, chemists etc. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

ASL642 wrote:Agree with you there Lou, but some jobs require a degree. :( We still need qualified doctors, engineers, chemists etc. :D
Even to be a nurse now requires a degree. Also big up the engineers :D
___Anne___

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:D :D :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

ASL642 wrote:Agree with you there Lou, but some jobs require a degree. :( We still need qualified doctors, engineers, chemists etc. :D
Agreed, but there's still no guarantee that you will get the job that you want even if you obtain the relevant degree. At least if you work part time whilst at University you will obtain some marketable skills that you can use when searching for employment after graduating. And possibly a job that you can keep doing after graduating if necessary whilst you are looking for something better :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I totally agree about working whilst at Uni. The trouble is getting a part time job that you can do in the hours you're not at Uni.
Our Daughter is studying for an MChem @ Cardiff. Fitting all the hours of studying, lectures, and time spent do the practicals in Labs doesn't leave a lot of time. She's just managed to get a job in a call centre, which is weekends and some evening work. but finding a job has taken her months. Most part time work these days seems to want people to work 2/3 day full time not several hours a day or 2 1/2 days at weekends.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

LouiseM wrote:At least if you work part time whilst at University you will obtain some marketable skills that you can use when searching for employment after graduating. And possibly a job that you can keep doing after graduating if necessary whilst you are looking for something better :D
Thats why i am personally doing a sandwich course as this provides relevant experience and is for a length of time which will help you decide if the course/ job is for you. This year will also help earn back some money.
___Anne___

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for that Louise, I was beginning to think I was weird leaving school and getting a job! :D
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You are not on your own Les :lol: Alex i did a sandwich course after school but it was delivering them :oops:
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:lol: :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

Sandwich courses are all well and good, but theyre no excuse not to work while your there.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

phurn wrote:Sandwich courses are all well and good, but theyre no excuse not to work while your there.
The question was initially about how much it costs to live at uni, and so far only I and one/two other person seem to have given a figure. Its very easy for people to give their specific circumstances and state how they managed a full time job whilst studying etc, but this is an exception, most people at uni don't have a job during term time (for the reasons stated by myself and ASL642) Its admiral that they did, and some people do have a job to subsidies their income, but on the whole students live off their student loan, extra funding from parents and interest free overdraft.
___Anne___

RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

I've just finished my first year at uni in nottingham and I've managed pretty comfortably with £40 a week for living on (food, going out, etc.). I only worked over christmas and this and my loan managed to leave me enough money to buy lucy the moggie so its definately possible to do it without a job! Now ive got a hungry petrol tank to feed and car parts to buy Ive had to get a job which is probably a good thing for the CV and my bank account!
Lucy :)
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

RTanguy wrote:I've just finished my first year at uni in nottingham
What course are you doing? Andy Wilson (sidney '61) is at nottingham doing mech eng (2nd year) And do get along to MADMOG whilst you're down here :)
___Anne___

RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Politics.. about the least useful course you could possibly imagine :D but hey I enjoy it! Job prospects are pretty much zero so Im starting to wonder why I went for it but Im just holding out for some luck in a few years time when I graduate :roll:
When is the MADMOG thing going on? I'm not a proper member yet.. keep forgetting to actually join but is it still ok for me to go to things?
Lucy :)
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Ofcourse, you don't need to be a member of the mmoc to join or do anything with madmog or any of the other related clubs. Are you a member of the young members register? or associated fb group?
This is the madmog page with all the info on http://madmog.wordpress.com/diary-dates-2/
___Anne___

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

But let's be honest most students are bone idle. Living off mommy and daddy combined with government hand outs is hardly being self sufficient is it? Out of our year group the people doing the best are the ones who work. Becuase they get stuff done. The jobless ones then hand stuff in late and complain they had no time. Fact is most of them just need to grow up.
At 18 you can be sent into active combat, Infact you can do near everything except be prime minister. To moan about working really needs some perspective.