Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
scotwood59
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fitting a CD/Radio/USB player from scratch

Post by scotwood59 »

Hi everyone,

I have looked through several posts about wiring up radios and am totally confused!!

I have a CD/Radio/USB player that I would like to put in to George (most important on long journeys such as Knebworth! as I like to sing while I am driving). There is no radio fitted at the moment though there is an aerial. I have bought a pair of speakers and some cable.
I see talk about negative earth cars and positive earth cars. How do I know which one George is?

I don't understand electrics yet. I obviously need a wire to go from the control box (is that right) to the back of the radio (and something to connect to the square pin thingy in the back of the radio) but don't know how to do that. I don't want the radio to be able to be on without the ignition as I would be worried I would forget to turn it off.

My garage man said that I didn't need an alternator as I have a large battery! What does everone think about that?

Do I need to earth the radio and if so, how do I do that?

And finally, (for now) someone has very kindly sprayed the control box blue so I can't see the colours of the wires. Can anyone suggest something to get the paint off with?

Ta muchly
George
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Re: Fitting a CD/Radio/USB player from scratch

Post by Neil MG »

Ok, given the type and number of questions, I would strongly recommend you find someone to assist you!

To check polarity of the car look at your battery, one cable connects to the body and the other to the starter switch. Look at the battery next to the pole that the cable to the body is attached to and you will see a + or a - with the opposite sign at the pole that is connected to the starter. The body is earth so the sign next to that terminal tells you if it is + positive or - negative. If it is positive you need to change to negative earth before you fit your radio. See http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?page=322

The radio will need a live with ignition feed with in-line fuse. You may find one already fitted (especially as you have an aerial). It will also need to be earthed and it will need an aerial! It may need a permanent live too. There are standard connectors that these wires fit to and it sounds like you just have a plug in the back of your radio? Alternatively if there are wires between the radio and plug, the plug can be removed and the wires can be connected directly. I assume you can connect the speaker cables...

I assume your "garage man" noted that you have a dynamo and that does limit the number of accessories that can be used at once. If you are driving on a cold wet night, with lights, wipers and heater blower then a powerful stereo will be more than the dynamo can cope with and eventually you will run down the battery.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I see talk about negative earth cars and positive earth cars. How do I know which one George is?
There is a large 'earth' wire which goes from the battery to the car. If its attached to the negative terminal its already negative earth. If it has an alternator also it will defo be negative earth.
I obviously need a wire to go from the control box (is that right) to the back of the radio (and something to connect to the square pin thingy in the back of the radio) but don't know how to do that. I don't want the radio to be able to be on without the ignition as I would be worried I would forget to turn it off.
No, you want a wire going to-from the fuse box not the control box. As for a plug connector a local motor shop or halfords should be able to sell you a plug attachment which just has normal wires coming out of the other end. this should come with labels on the box as to which wires are which. As for finding a terminal which is only on when the ignition is simply get an electric tester/meter and put it to different terminals on the fuse box till you find which one is live all the time, and which is ignition only.
My garage man said that I didn't need an alternator as I have a large battery! What does everone think about that?
If fitting a radio and often driving at night then you will put a large load on your electrics so an alternator would be better imo.
___Anne___

scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

thank you one and all,

You have given me plenty of advice to get me started. I will definitely get help!!

:D :D
George
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

You'll need some of this. Original Lucas wiring smoke is stronger than new Chinese replacement stuff. Make sure you don't try metric smoke.

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
Cardiff, UK
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I recon a flux capacitor may be a useful addition while your at it
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... 1153_10923[/img][/frame]
___Anne___

scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

RobThomas wrote:Image

You'll need some of this. Original Lucas wiring smoke is stronger than new Chinese replacement stuff. Make sure you don't try metric smoke.

Why do I need this?
George
scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

Alex'n'Ane wrote:I recon a flux capacitor may be a useful addition while your at it
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... 1153_10923[/img][/frame]
Well it would match the colour of George!! :D :D
George
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

scotwood59 wrote:
RobThomas wrote:Image

Why do I need this?

Ahem *I'm pretty sure thats a joke about amateur wiring jobs*
:lol: :lol:

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

That's not a nice way to treat a newby lady with a serious question. Gents you should be ashamed! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512