Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear axle leak

Post by timjsparrow »

Hi

I have a continuous problem with the near side seal on my rear axle. I keep replacing the seals, bearing and gasket, but within a year oil starts to leak through again, fouling my break shoes. Could it be that the axle is worn where the seals sit, thus causing oil to pass by them over a period of time, or could it be another problem?

If it is the axle, is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve getting a new (second-hand) axle? I am concerned that replacing with a second-hand axle casing, an expensive solution, may potentially leave me with the same problem. Are there other things I should be doing when I replace the seals?

XVS 953, a 1960 2 door de-luxe named 'Maggie'. First Registered as HCC 548 on the 8th February 1960 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear axle leak

Post by bmcecosse »

The seal can cut a groove in the casing over time. One solution is to place the seal slightly off position so it runs on a 'new' section of casing. There are also slip on sleeves which claim to solve this problem - sorry can't remember the name. But are you sure it's not a worn bearing - or simply an overfilled axle?
ImageImage
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

I saw something in another thread about those seal track repair kits, they sound like a good solution. Do you know where I can get some from?
It won't be the bearings as they have been replaced with new ones each time.

XVS 953, a 1960 2 door de-luxe named 'Maggie'. First Registered as HCC 548 on the 8th February 1960 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.
mikeysmorris
Minor Fan
Location: thurso,caithness,scotland (the very top of scotland)

Post by mikeysmorris »

Hi Tim, my dad tells me they are called speedy sleeve's but he not sure where you can get them sorry,
regards Mikey.
my morris molly
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

Thanks Mikey. Now I have the name I can at least give them a search on the old interweb.

Regards

Tim

Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

I managed to cure a leaking seal on my Sprite by filling the groove/pitting in the axle casing with chemical metal and rubbing down to get a smooth circular profile.

BTW, any leaking oil should get caught by the lip in the backplate and then come out the hole on the diff-side of the backplate - I'm guessing this hole is blocked, hence the oil on the brake shoes.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good point there stig - worth checking.
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Are you sure that the vent on the housing is not plugged?
Talk slow, think fast!
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

I shall check that also. This is all great advise, I'm learning a lot, thank you to all. :D

xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

hi there, i have a little seep from the rear n/s oil seal too. is this easy to fix up? can anyone tell me where the vent is on the diff casing? and can i unblock it with some fuse wire or something of that nature? also the vent on the backplate, how can i get to this?

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Item #5 is the vent.[frame]Image[/frame]
Talk slow, think fast!
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Sorry, but I can't seem to get it to post the picture.
Talk slow, think fast!