Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
phurn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

smokey!!

Post by phurn »

hmmm, seems im aibt smokey these past few days =[engine seems abit louder too.... originaly i tried turning my fuel mixture down a flat or two as im running abit rich, but i lead to poor idling so i turned it back up to where it was and the cars just not been the same since! he never used ot smoke quite so much! only if i left him ticking over for a while then put my foot down, now its everytime i bury the throttle!
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Re: smokey!!

Post by chrisd87 »

What colour is the smoke, and under what conditions does it appear? If you're getting black smoke under load then this is caused by over-fuelling, which points to a badly adjusted or worn-out carb. Blue smoke indicates oil getting into the combustion chamber, normally caused by worn piston rings or valve guides/stem seals.

If the smoke is black, take a plug out and have a look - the plug will probably be covered in black soot, which indicates a rich mixture. Make sure the choke isn't sticking on, and then weaken off the mixture one flat at a time.

If the smoke is blue, run a compression test (disconnect ignition, engine hot, brick on accelerator).

You mention that you get poor idling when you weaken off the mixture - have you checked the points gap and ignition timing? The mixture really needs to be the last thing that's set up, with the possible exception of the idle speed.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

white smoke! definatly not blue. my gaps are ok, abit on the big side, but i dont have much adjustment left on the followers! its all pretty worn tbh... but it'l have to do for now. unless i see a cheap complete head anywhere!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

When you turned the carb 'down' you richened the mixture - you turn it 'up' to weaken. Plug colour is everything - after a good run. White 'smoke' is either water vapour - or burning brake fluid. If you have a servo - it may be leaking fluid into the inlet manifold. Check the level!
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

I wouldn't waste my time with a servo with drums! ;) and I'm defiantly not using any water... seems to have stopped for now! How odd
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just condensation then!!
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

It was running dog rough though.... it still does if I leave it on tickover for 5 mins or so. Or if its cold, seems to only run on 3. I've got s new set of leads, I'm gonna go get a dizzy cap tomorrow, see how it goes.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Rotor arm too. But you must set the mixture and timing correctly.
ImageImage