Sturdy little cars - I'm a rather happy little bunny!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Sturdy little cars - I'm a rather happy little bunny!

Post by KatiePotatie »

I took Martha in to have the tracking done on Monday (after helping my mum move to the West Midlands from Yorshire *phew*), and whilst she was at the garage, the man looking at it said there was 'a break fluid leak on the rear near side'.

I made an appointment to take her back the following day for a break assessment. Unfortunately, they couldn't get the front wheel off, some parts had siezed and they didn't want to just yank it of without letting me see & talking to me first. They also told me that the back near side break shoe was just 'flopping about'. Quite a worry as you can imagine.

I watched whilst they looked underneath the car, secretly shouting 'PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE DON'T LOOK UNDER THERE!!' for fear they would find lots more that needed fixing! However, one of the guys came back & told me that the underneath was 'in good nick', so a sigh of relief!!

I had to take her back today as there is a man who works at the garage who is more familiar with the older cars and everyone agreed that he should look at her.

A tense morning was had whilst I was waiting for them to call me to tell me what the problem was, and at about 12.30pm I got a call. There was nothing much wrong! HUZZAH!! she needed the break fluid flushing out & replacing & the breaks adjusting.

When I went to pick her up, the guy who had done the work said that a few bits needed replacing (silently yelling again - NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE NO MORE MONEY!!!!) - springs on the breaks and the steering rack cover - all less than a fiver each.

Soooo, I am so happy with Martha, she has very little wrong with her, and the bits that are wrong are easily (and more to the point, cheaply) fixed!

Long story, but I am ecstatic!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :lol:
santadawes
Minor Addict

Re: Sturdy little cars - I'm a rather happy little bunny!

Post by santadawes »

Well done..... :wink:

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

thats a nice story :D :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Assuming you mean 'brakes' throughout - what about the leak they first diagnosed ?? How did they 'fix' that? Flushing out the brake fluid is a common 'money maker' for garages. Yes it should be changed from time to time - but it's a very simple/low cost operation. Just keep tabs on what work they are proposing for your car......
ImageImage
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

The leaks were seals which have been replaced, and considering the breaks are much firmer than they were at the beginning of the week, I don't think they have pulled a fast one. Not everyone is out to make a fast buck.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Sounds like they fitted new seals and then bled the brakes which counts for the improvement.

Katie - don't forget the B'ham Branch meeting is on Monday (16th)! :wink: Look forward to meeting you .

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
KatiePotatie
Minor Fan

Post by KatiePotatie »

I will be there :D Looking forward to it. Hopfully I won't get lost on the way there either! :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's good -you didn't mention they had fitted new seals earlier. As long as they cured the leak - that's the main thing. And of course you are right -not everyone is out to make a fast buck, but we do hear some horrendous tales - so keep your wits about you!
ImageImage