Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JSimons
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

803cc Air filter

Post by JSimons »

Hi all,

I've recently been looking into pancake style air filters for my minor, since i currently have the large and cumbersome barrel air filter that makes working on the engine a pain.

However, the air filter has the bracket for the throttle spring on it and therefore simply swapping to a pancake style filter wouldn't be simple.

Has anyone changed from the original style filter and therefore figured a way around the throttle spring issue?

Regards

Joe
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: 803cc Air filter

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't waste your time/money trying to upgrade an 803 engine - not even by swapping the air filter. A 'pancake' is useless anyway.....
ImageImage
JSimons
Minor Friendly

Post by JSimons »

bmcecosse wrote:Don't waste your time/money trying to upgrade an 803 engine - not even by swapping the air filter. A 'pancake' is useless anyway.....
Thanks, i was just wondering as the current one also seems to be very constrictive and therefore would like something to make the engine breath easier. Due to it's construction the insides cannot be accessed, and i've attempted to clean it to no avail

Are there any methods that you could recommend for such?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you improve the 803 breathing - it will blow up....... :wink: I think the huge standard air filter will easily supply all the air an 803 can reasonably require.....
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Dip it in a parafin bath and allow to dry
[sig]3580[/sig]
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

I know what you're trying to do, because I had the same problem on my car. Mine is an export 4 door 1953 so it had the huge oil bath cleaner which covered everything and made servicing a pain. It even had to be removed to top up the carby dashpot!

I sourced a "saucepan" type air cleaner, along with the correct intake mount for the carby. This also had the benefit of giving me an inlet to the carby to run the pipe from the rocker cover to. As regards the throttle mount, the 1000,s with the saucepan had a post which bolted to a bolt on the exhaust manifold and which holds the throttle cable in the same way the old oil cleaner did. Check some engine bay shots of the saucepan type 1000 bays and you'll see what I mean.

Let me know if you want some shots of my engine to help you
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green