Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Rolling Road advice

Post by chrisryder »

Thinking of taking some of our minors to a rolling road. Two of ours have had recent non-standard engines and could do with a fettling. and it'd be interesting to see how much power both are producing. my old man recons his 1006cc (948 based) engine will be more powerfull than my 1115cc (1098 based) engine. the 1006 is certainly smoother!

Enough of my jibber-jabber, does anyone know of a good a-series friendly rolling road? preferably in the South Birmingham/Worcestershire area?

We could even go further afield for an especially good one!
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Re: Rolling Road advice

Post by RogerRust »

Yep you want the Metro and Mini Centre at
Unit 1, Baird Park
Brickyard Rd, Napton On The Hill, Southam CV47 8NT
01926 815 681

here is a short video of my 4 door there CLICK HERE

I've been there a few times with different cars and they have always been helpful. The big advantage is that they are series A experts.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

My opinion - a BIG waste of money unless tweaking up a full race engine - and then would only go to Adrian Dodd.
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

it may be a big waste of money, but i'd like to find out how powerful both are, and to make sure we're getting the most out of them.

i've been to a place in southam once... :wink: must've been past that mini place, didnt know they have a rolling road though.

was it expensive rogerrust? your minor sounds quite good on there 8)
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Only cost me £50 for a full tune up saved that in petrol in next to no time!!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Chris,

if you are looking to optimise your cars, then I don't think the £50 Roger paid will do it?
How about Aldon, I believe they are highly regarded on 'A' series?

Alec
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How much extra power did it show on the Rollers Roger ??
ImageImage
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I'm not a novice but I spent a good while trying to get the mixture right . Even so it wouldn't run well across the full range of revs. After a run on the rollers and a new needle and some tweeking of the timing I had what felt like a new car.

I only needed a tune up so it was cheap the guys at Southam will do what you want and they are experts at race tuning so I'm sure they would do full power runs if you wanted them to. My aim was to sort the timing and mixture to make the car a steady runner.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - did they just select a new needle - or did they spend time profiling your needle ? And - did they modify the ignition advance curve, or did they just swing the static timing slightly ? I only ask - because Adrian Dodd will take the time to do both.
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

How much, and where is, this Adrian Dodd of which you speak oh mighty oracle?
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

chrisryder wrote:How much, and where is, this Adrian Dodd of which you speak oh mighty oracle?
If the forum had a like button I would be pressing it right now :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

AArghh! Temptation! Do they charge £50 for a rolling road session? Can't see and indication of prices which is always worrying.
There again Roy's reputation isn't as a profligate spender :) .

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i believe roy was one of the two scotsmen to invent copper wire by fighting over a penny :lol:
ptitterington
Minor Fan

Post by ptitterington »

He was :D
Traveller rebuilt in 2007 by Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre
Pickup Fully restored 2011 by Rich Legg

ImageImage

http://WWW.minor1000.com
http://www.morrisowners.co.uk/
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I got a free session on the rolling road at Napton as part of the deal when Rod rebuilt my side valve engine. It made a changefrom A Series engines.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hohoho...... I rather suspect ACD will charge a bit more than £50.... But he comes HIGHLY recommended by the Mini lads - and he REALLY knows what he is doing with an A series. I've never been there - but if I was going to have my A series rolling roaded - it's the ONLY place I would consider.
ImageImage
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello BMCE,

you're being a bit fickle aren't you, you said earlier, "and then would only go to Adrian Dodd." :-)

Alec
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

bmcecosse wrote:Hohoho...... I rather suspect ACD will charge a bit more than £50.... But he comes HIGHLY recommended by the Mini lads - and he REALLY knows what he is doing with an A series. I've never been there - but if I was going to have my A series rolling roaded - it's the ONLY place I would consider.
You should always be ready to listen to alternatives and to disagree with anothers opinion of somewhere you have no knowledge of is being a bit shortsighted especially when the only place you reccomend is somewhere you have never been to.
Well to add my pennyworth I have to agree with Roger and Mike about the Metro and Mini Centre having actually used them I was more than happy with the result.
Great workshops to look around and they were rebuilding an ex RAC class winning Cooper S and preparing another for the Classic Monte as well, with one of the cars being valued at £60,000+ due to it's heritage along with quite a few other cars.
And while waiting my turn they even let me have a look at some of their more unusual items, a fully rebuilt Shorrock Supercharger, and a genuine Arden 8 port cylinder head, they are really down to earth people and actually produce some items for the person who reccomended them to me Jonathon Heap.
They may not have a website but they are not short of work either and if you ring them they will give you a price depending on what you want doing, also you can't see the extent of their workshops from the road.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Ian46
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Ian46 »

If you want rolling road advice then have a look at the disasters/explosions/fires filmed on Youtube. Entertaining but sobering. I'm not putting my Cobra on one when its finished thats for sure.

Regards Ian
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o