Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chris_Sheridan
MMOC Member: No

Carpets #2

Post by Chris_Sheridan »

Hi and thanks for looking.

I am about to fit a new set of tailored mats Morris 1000 mats to Henrietta. Trouble is, how do you fix the carpets to the (inner) front wheel wells and the inner sill by the doors (plus one or two other places) ? A good quality glue maybe ?

The floor and sills are SOLID but I am a little concerned that by glueing them in, you are not able to remove them for inspection at a later date.

Any tips appreciated.

Chris
Father of Henrieta, 1970, 2 door saloon in Smoke Grey
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I have only ever seen them stuck down with glue. However given your concerns you could try adhesive backed velcro strips.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
woo
Minor Fan

Post by woo »

Chris,

I used Carpet Fasteners. Basically they are a large press stud with one part screwed into the metal and the other part fixed to the carpet. The carpet fixing isn't too noticable and in fact if you have a good pile on the carpet it might hardly show. Then you can put the carpets on and take them of at will. Plus, IMHO, they give a professional finish to the carpets.

I got mine from http://www.vintagesupplies.com/ their current catalogue prices them for £5 plus vat for a set of 10 studs.

Woo
Wal
Minor Fan

Post by Wal »

Chris,
the carpets on my Morris were originally held down with large press studs, as per Woo. This was from new but unfortunately life has changed it somewhat and now the carpets are stuck in.

However I have recently removed the carpets from my Spitfire and they were glued, but a good hard tug and they came away OK. I have now re-stuck them in with Evostik Multi Purpose Impact Adhesive and that seems to work fine, even on the Hammerite.

Regards,
Wal
Chris_Sheridan

Post by Chris_Sheridan »

Thanks all for the tips.

Press Studs for the floor and Glue for the sills and wheel arches it is then.

Chris
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Wal wrote:Evostik Multi Purpose Impact Adhesive
Thats the stuff! My '68 smoke grey has recently been trated to new carpets and thats the best stuff I found to use. Remember to clamp the new side carpet peices by the doors under the kick-plates! :wink:
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)