Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moredoorconvertible
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Indicators or not?

Post by moredoorconvertible »

Been driving Betty to work and back over the last couple of weeks and other than a noisy generator she is running well. Today I went into the local town to post a package and ended up on the receiving end of some serious road rage as the idiot behind me had no idea what Trafficators were and nearly rear ended me as I was turning off, after I had first indicating of course! :x

Question is should I fit modern flashers for the sake of unobservant idiots or should I just carry on and rise above it knowing that my car is legal and I am doing nothing wrong???
Turning good parts into scrap since 1984
Uncle Cib
Minor Friendly

Re: Indicators or not?

Post by Uncle Cib »

All I can say is that in 1956, my uncle fitted flashing indicators to his (now my) Series II; which was purchased with semaphore indicators. Even in those days, he thought it was a much wiser option. I intend to always use the flashing ones and then also with the semaphores, for High-days and holidays.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I converted my series two twenty years ago after several near misses,and just left the traficator in the slots,but about 10 years ago stuck some plastic sheet inside the door frame to cover the holes,and filled the outside with filler,quick paint over with spran can ,and looks fine,had the benifit of being easy to revert by just removing the filler and plates,and keeps the water out of the door posts(4 door),I found that the water was begining to cause a bit of rot at the bottom of the pillars.All of this depends of course if you want originality.but no one looks for small flags sticking out of the side of cars,most young drivers wouldnt even know they ever existed.
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Post by mmjosh »

have the trafficators wired up with flashers so that they all work together

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

with josh on this, wire up flashing indicators to work alongside your trafficators. I added trafficators back to my convertible pedestrians see the trafficators and smile but the motorists see the normal flashing indicators so can see what i am doing.
Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

I'd go for flashers if using the car regularly. May not be original, but I bet you've fitted seat belts too & use them. Safety first.

Failing that, contact buick54 - his wife's a Taekwondo black belt - very good cure for road ragers!
'61Morris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by '61Morris »

I agree. I fitted Morris Taveller/Van amber flashers above Bluebell's brake lights as she had flashing tail lights when I bought her which I felt was not really safe for everyday driving, particularly at night. My Dad did the same to his Morris in the mid '60s so it's definitely a period accessory which won't look out of place. The twin fillament bulbs in the sidelights are pretty bright when the indicators flash so that is a good option at the front for safety and keeping that original look. I got the trafficators wired up and working alongside the flashers too which always makes people smile. And if you want hazards, you can even wire up a relay to disconnect the trafficators when using hazards so the car doesn't look like it's trying to fly!
[sig]9257[/sig]
Bluebell - 1961 Clipper Blue 948cc genuine Tourer.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Both!! Put a stop tail bulb with the long body in the front side light and use the normal lense and add indicators hung from brackets under the back bumper and wire the trafficators in with 2 flasher units so the whole lot works together.[frame]Image[/frame] It certainly feels much safer especailly when you on the motorway and trying to change lanes with cars zooming past......

Too many Minors so little time.....
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

i've just started digging the filler out of the trafficator slots on my convertible to reinstate the trafficators. I'll be keeping the extra bumper mounted indicators though as it does a lot of mileage does that car.
If it was just local use inthe rural area that we lve in, I'd consider trafficators only - easy enough to stick an arm out of the window and back then up with a hand signal if you think the car behind hasn't seen you indicate, but for town use and busy road use flashers do make sense.
I'll stick with the original trafficators on the Railton though. It dosen't do a big mileage, and theres a bit more road presence in that, unlike the Minor that sometimes seems to have 'Please overtake' sign on the back regardless of how fast its going....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!