Insurance

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AnnaCampbell
MMOC Member: No

Insurance

Post by AnnaCampbell »

I bought my first car yesterday... A beautiful '68 Morris Minor 1000 named Josephine :p
I was told that joining MMOC would lower my insurance...?
Any truth there?
pjh56
Minor Legend

Re: Insurance

Post by pjh56 »

As LouiseM said in another thread it's best to shop around for the best deal

My 1970 2 door saloon Trafalgar Blue
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the messageboard - mine's a '68 too :D There's a lot of useful information in the "new member?" thread at the top of this forum.

Joining a car club may result in reduced insurance premiums, as may using the club affiliated insurance scheme provided by Footman James (see link on the Home Page). You don't say how old you are (very wise! :D ) but the club insurance scheme can be particulary beneficial for younger owners. The problem is that insurance is based on so many different variables, and based on an individual's own personal circumstances, so your question is difficult to answer. Isuggest that you obtain a number of quotes from various companies before deciding which insurance policy is best for you. Cheapest isn't always best - compare what is actually offered in terms of cover eg agreed value, roadside recovery etc and look at things like excesses, limited mileage etc

There are other benefits to joining a car club though so don't base your decision solely on whether the insurance will be cheaper!

Louise

Eric - 1971 Traveller
AnnaCampbell

Post by AnnaCampbell »

Cheers guys :D
Appreciate it... and I just turned 17, so need to get my insurance down in any way I can!!!
AnnaCampbell

Post by AnnaCampbell »

Okay, so Footman James won't insure under 25s and confused.com & gocompare.com won't insure cars made before 1970... HELP!!!
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Hi Anna, welcome to the forum :D

When you get the time take a look at this thread: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33456

When you get the chance can you PM me the answers to the questions in the thread if you are interested in joining. All will become clear when/if you read the thread ;) :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Anna, Footman James will insure 17year olds (subject to status) but you have to telephone them for a quote. Their website is a little confusing. If you join the MMOC you will receive a membership number. Telephone FJ and quote this number to them. MMOC run a Young Driver's Scheme for under 25's, which is not mentioned on the FJ website as it is only run by the MMOC. Ask for a quote under this scheme when you speak to them.

If you have any difficulties ring the MMOC Derby office 01332 291675 and ask for help! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
AnnaCampbell

Post by AnnaCampbell »

Thanks regaliaqueen... I joined MMOC earlier today... What number am I looking for & where is it lol :D
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If you joined "online" you won't have been issued with a membership number. The application will be sorted out in the office and a membership pack sent out to you (takes about 2 weeks usually) If you ring the Derby office (number above) and tell them you joined online and need a membership number to enable you to get an insurance quotation from Footman James they should be able to issue you with one over the phone. You just need the reference number given when you joined online for them to tie the ends together :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
AnnaCampbell

Post by AnnaCampbell »

Thankyou :D
But I wasn't givena reference number when I joined online :-?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

When you say joined do you mean this messageboard (i.e. registered) or did you actually become a member of the MMOC and paid the membership? If you paid online then you would have an email confirming this with a reference number on it. This is the number I am referring to. If you 'phoned the Derby office and joined/paid over the phone they will be sending you out a new member pack with the number in. If you need this number to get an insurance quote ring them again and ask what number has been allocated to you. This can then be used to quote to Footman James.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
AnnaCampbell

Post by AnnaCampbell »

Ahh I see,
No I didn't pay anything yet... Didn't see an option to do that :-?
Thankyou for your help :D
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If you wish to join the MMOC go to the top left of the menu and click on "Join the Club". It's easy and the payment system is totally secure. Only once you are a member will you get a membership number.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512