Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mnzmrk
MMOC Member: No

Back Door Traveller - Lock Problems

Post by mnzmrk »

Hi,
can anyone help me out with a hint ? I want to know, how to remove the complete Locking system from the back door of my traveller. There is a <german=Gewinde>(its like a negative screw) to put a screw in from inside the car. But although i removed all screws nothing happens. Do I have to take out the lock?
Thanks for answering
Markus :o
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

I'm not sure about travellers, but to remove the whole locking system, I would think you would need to do the following:

Remove the screws from the outside handle. Take off the handle assembly.

Remove all the screws from the locking bars on the inside of the door, as well as the latch. Then, it should all come apart, I think.

Maybe someone with a traveller could shed some light on this, maybe?

Hope this helps, anyway!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

To Remove the Handle off the traveller back door after taking off the two outer screws as Gareth says you must then remove the inside one that is in the centre of the locking mechanism with the washer behind it, this enables the handle and spindle that runs all the way through to be released, however they are often stuck due to water getting onto the spindle and causing the shaft to rust in place, it does not take very much.
So if the handle does not come out fairly easily squirt some penetrating fluid ( I prefer Plus Gas ) and allow it to work it may take a couple of goes.
If extra stubborn even after penetrating fluid the spindle shaft can be tapped from the inside however you need someone to support the outside of the door next to the lock preferably with a soft peice of wood as support so as not to damage the door, when reassembling put some copper grease on the spindle to stop it sticking again.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
mnzmrk

Post by mnzmrk »

thanks a lot,
as the screw is allready taken away, i think there is a lot of rust on the spindle. I put a screwdriver on the spindle from the inside and pushed (or better hit) it with a hammer and still nothing hapopend. But the wood´s rotten anyway, so I use violence on the spindle 8the spindle is sqare, not round, right ?)
Thank you very much again for your help.
markus
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yes Markus the spindle is square that is what makes it operate the locking mechanism, and also gives it 4 sides to rust on, if a push comes to a shove you could take the door right off then squirt the penetrating fluid down the shaft giving it time to work and with it resting on a bench or something you then have a firmer surface to give it a bang.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706