Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BigDawgV8
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear Screen Fitting Advice Please

Post by BigDawgV8 »

Hi,
Can someone tell me the best way to fit a late saloon rear screen and new rubber?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

Martin :D :wink:
MMOC Nationals Custom Class Winner 2011!
1966 V8 Convertible now reborn

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Autoglass :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

dont do it
i tried and failed as it is a right pain to get in because of its shape.
i ended up paying £50 to get some one out to fit it and even then he struggeled.
if you do it remember to fit it from the inside out
[sig]9671[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

If you do want to try it yourself, follow the usual procedure of para chord around the seal. Fit seal to glass. Offer up glass on the inside, as Andrew says, and pray like hell that the chord don't break or snag up when you get to the last 2 inches and rip a big hole in your brand new seal... Been there and done that !!!! A smear of white grease / vaselline might help but it is a real PITA of a job to do.... Much more challenging than the front screen....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Shawn
Minor Fan

Post by Shawn »

I used electrical cord and a helper (stick). It's not too difficult, just take your time. I started from the inside at the bottom, resting the lower centre of the screen in the correct slot in the rubber in place, and then worked around with the cord to the top centre, checking all the time that the screen was seating properly. you need to be particularly careful around the top corners. The screen has to come out quite a way from it's starting position in the car. A nice warm day is helpful.
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/perrys/MinorSig.jpg[/img]
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I don't know if the suppliers still list two qualities of rubbers if they do buy the better one, don't use any sealant and lots of white grease to lubricate it.

I split the last inch of the seal but if your quick before it gets dirty superglue makes a permanent repair.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Much more challenging than the front screen....
Not more challenging than a front split screen. :(
When my small rear window fell into the car I bought a new rubber surround and had it fitted professionally.
[sig]3580[/sig]
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I fitted a rear window many years ago with my Dad, we jacked it in from the cross member, absolute PIG, ended up with a split in the rubber (didn't leak though)
Fitted my latest one a couple of years ago, fantastic - only took about 15 minutes! on my own!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Did one this afternoon and wasn't too bad. Had the wife inside pushing, and me on the outside hauling on the string. First two attempts, it popped out of the bottom channel, then it went in ok other then the last two inch on a top corner where the string came out but the rubber stayed in. Sorted with a tweak of a screwdriver though.
First time I've had to do a 1000 rear screen. Only ever done Series 2 fronts before, and they took some getting the hang of....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

We've fitted 2 front screens (1 splitty - 1 late) and 2 rear ones. Front splitscreen fitting has got to be the worst job on a Minor, but very rewarding once it's in.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

As already said DO NOT DO IT.

Seriously. By the time you get it in you'll be a jibbering wreck, probably sobbing to yourself having used every curse word you know - and some invented especially for the task.

I got mine in by lying on my back inside, pushing with all my might using both feet on the glass whilst my Dad did the 'string' trick on the rubber. We still ended up damaging the rubber in many places and the fit was terrible despite ordering the 'high quality' option.
What would Macgyver do..?
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I use vehicle wire (25 amp - a bit thicker and plastic coated) rather than cord, plus I liberally apply waxoil to window aperature and the rubber. Because I use the wire, it tends to slide better on the rubber.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Don't forget all these jobs were done by a bloke in the Midlands 40 or 50 years ago probably in less than a minute on the assembly line, winter or summer.

He had the benefit of experience, we have the benefit of time, and knowledge from this forum.
AndySSS

Post by AndySSS »

I have replaced screens on various classics and in my experience using cable instead of cord is a good idea.
A helper is also a good idea to apply moderate pressure to the screen as the rubber lip is being pulled through by the cable.
The best lubricant I have found is neat fairy liquid and it cleans up lovely afterwards. I have to do this myself soon on my split screen once the shell is resprayed so you are not alone
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

Dont ever use washing up liquid as a lubricant it contains masses of salt and will cause nasty long term rust.

I used it on an MGB screen and it ruined the aluminium frame - 1/8" deep pitting under the rubber in less than a year. Waxoyle or tyre lubricant are fine.
CharlieCeng

Re: Rear Screen Fitting Advice Please

Post by CharlieCeng »

Here's another tip, courtesy of my wife who was the pusher inside! Use a couple of sink plungers to push with - it means you don't have to contort your body into awkward postures!

Good idea on the electrical cable - works a treat!

cheers

Simon
cheers

Simes

1969 Saloon, BSA Bantam D3, Square Four Mk1 http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Post by mmjosh »

taken me my nan and my grandad 2 hours to get the screen in a split screen morris

heathy12
Minor Fan

Post by heathy12 »

Two words if your thinking about it still,

Forget it!

Two more if you've decided on doing it,

GOOD LUCK!!

:wink: :lol:
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION