Minors arising......

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
llanallgo1
MMOC Member: No

Minors arising......

Post by llanallgo1 »

Ok I'll admit it. I have restored a Triumph Herald Convertible basketcase to being my beautiful daily driver. I have belonged to the TSSC for many years and have been to many shows. 22 years ago I got married to a woman. We all do these things. We used my 1954 Series 2 as a wedding car and all was well. She made me put it into an old lady's garage for 20 years..and ...when the garage was being torn down to build yet more little boxes for people to live in...her son called me and asked if I wanted the car! (she having died 5 years previously). I went around with a mate, dragged it out of the garage and hoiked the thing on to a low loader and brought her home. She sits in my double garage staring reproachfully at me as I gaily drive in and out in the Herald. I need to tackle the Morris. The wheels are frozen, the engine turns but the fuel is yeukk. The car is all original and well, fab. Do I start?????? Will you guys help me as the TSSC guys have?? When I mistake a Triumph dodge/bodge will you forgive me?? Where do I start? Do you reckon a Winter will see me right??
Cheers
David Freeman
Old Isleworth
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

Hi,

Welcome... For me it's the other way arround, I have a brace of Minors and have recently got a Spitfire for every day use. First set the location in your profile, we all love to meet up and lend hands for a warm drink. Then post some pictures so we can see what joys await you....
There's always an ear for when things go wrong and for when things go right....

I rebuilt mine in 5 months so a winter is possible, depends on what is required.

Let's see the pictures.....
Peter Gisby.

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

You expectin' help- you come to the rong place buddy :lol:

We'll bombard you with a host of different points of view on ANY question you dare pose- go on ask about upgrading the brakes, I dare you!

Seriously, welcome on the ride! We (probably) won't hold Triumph ownership against you, as long as you keep it quiet :D

Ask away!!!
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Welcome! Another Triumph owner. I have a Spitfire 1500. Sounds like you have a bit of a job on, but a nice double garage to do it in. After doing a Herald you wont have much bother restoring your Minor.
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

My first car was a 67 Herald 1200 saloon. Great car.

You will find some differences over here on the Morris side of life. Spares are cheaper, the exhaust sounds funny, and the chassis bangs and crashes are a lot less cos we don't have one :)

Having said that we're a friendly bunch and are never short of at least 7 opposing viewpoints. (Go on, ask about Brake mods its always worth the tirade :) )

My rebuild took 18 months but I was only doing it outside and could only use 4 hours a week from May to September :)
The
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Some of us have both Minor and Triumph! Ask away - we are indeed all very helpful (best car forum on the web) - and the 'arguments' are just to keep everyone on their toes ! Start by working on the brakes - assuming the body is in ok condition?
ImageImage
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

I'm seeing too much of the 'b' word being used in this thread. I'll get the tin ready to open :lol:

On a serious note. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you an answer to any quesions you have. They're a really helpful bunch :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

PM sent with useful link!
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

It's the "W" word you want to watch for- maybe the mods have finally put a filter on it :lol:
BMC- you never did send me that useful link!
llanallgo1

Post by llanallgo1 »

Well well, I'd better get my spanners out...
Starting with the brakes then....
DF
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Nothing wrong with Triumphs at all as my fleet shows but you will definately find Minors much cheaper on the wallet.... (about a third cheaper :-))

<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br>
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

PM sent now la!
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I need to tackle the Morris. The wheels are frozen, the engine turns but the fuel is yeukk. The car is all original and well, fab. Do I start??????
Fuel - ditch it! Put some fresh in the tank, get the petrol pump running by cleaning the points if needed.
Change the oil in the engine, see if you've got a spark and then see what happens ;-)

Brakes - m/c might still be ok, but if the bore is corroded then don't waste time on it. Drums might be saveable if the car was dry enough. Wheel cylinders, brake pipes and flexis are worth doing all in one go -and cheap compared to most cars!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Put oil down the bores of the engine, and pump up oil pressure by cranking on the starter with plugs out before any attempt at starting.
ImageImage
beechford
Minor Fan

Post by beechford »

brakes what are they we are talking minors arent we
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:lol: Hi Welcome! well at least she has been stored in a dry garage for her rest.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
llanallgo1

Post by llanallgo1 »

Oh, I forgot to tell you all that my series 2 was used by a bunch of n'er do wells as a 'step' when my garage was broken into last year and many of my tools were nicked. As a consequence, the lovely car roof has somewhat 'bowed' or 'bowled' with, unfortunately, some slight rippling in the metal. The rippling might stop the roof from 'popping' back into shape when coaxed but I remain surprisingly, if wrongly, confident that, with a few friends and a hydraulic body pushing instrument that I own, we'll be able to right the wrongs of the said villains - unless the slight 'rippling' screws things up. The garage roof is now electrified and razor wired and the villains caught and prosecuted...... DF
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

"The villains caught and prosecuted"??
I didn't see that in the headlines of the nationals!

So we are winning the fight against crime :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

May be better to simply try using your feet to gently pop the roof out! Hydraulic press etc sounds way over the top. Hope you got 'damages' from the villains - who no doubt got 2 hours 'community service' which they never bothered to turn up for! And you can be sure no-one will chase them for it!!
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
llanallgo1

Post by llanallgo1 »

The truth about the villains is worse. Five local lads were seen emptying my garage through the roof. From the description I reckoned on knowing one for definite, and the law went around to his house 'for a chat' . Mum was in with 'Uncle Bill' and the 15 yr old lad was in bed watching the TV (on a school Tuesday). The sgt couldn't get in for a chat, but spotted from the door goods in the sitting room which didn't look right, so she returned with three more coppers, a dog and a search warrant - and did the lad for 2 burglaries! I had some tools returned for identification purposes, but the law then gave them back to me, as they reckoned it was an open and shut case as the lad could only plead guilty, but he didn't...and in court he got off on the technicality that the law didn't keep keep the evidence! What a lesson to us all....