Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sidanuk
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wheel adaptors

Post by sidanuk »

Any of you guys had any history with wheel adaptors

Found this one on ebay , are these right for me to fit Beetle wheels to my moggie ? Any feed back would be appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-VW-GOLF-G ... 286.c0.m14
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Don't use them. They are not the right stud pattern for a Minor. It uses 4" centres which equates to 101.6mm. Not far out I'd admit but it's one of those areas where it HAS to be right. You would introduce latteral forces to studs which are designed to be in tension. Also the seat of each wheel nut would initially be in contact in one small area only, forcing the studs to bend to fit - probably unevenly, making the wheel sit offcentre. And then there is the question of if the hole for the hub flange will match.......but I'll stop there. I think you get the idea. :-?
Last edited by Peetee on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
teenoes
Minor Friendly

Post by teenoes »

Adaptors always put more stress on bearings as wheels are further away from original mounting point

More important is pcd the ones in the auction have 4 by 100mm but minors do have 4 by 4" (101.6mm)

Thats not much of a difference but it is enough of a difference to sheer your bolts off - I am sure this was a topic a couple of times already - someone who has been there will most probably soon come along and give first hand info

My advise is: DO NOT PUT THESE ON YOUR MINOR!!!
JWK

[sig]7991[/sig]
teenoes
Minor Friendly

Post by teenoes »

Other members should be blocked from posting while I am typing and submitting :D

Nice to have your opinion on this topic anyway peetee :wink:
JWK

[sig]7991[/sig]
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

i ran vauxhall vivas for a time,and they have the same stud pattern as the minor 4" i put some allycat alloys on the viva that came off a vauxhall chevette, oh i thought same make same stud pattern, i found out i was wrong when one of the rear wheels over took me the studs had snapped of due to them being 100mm and not 4" so a leason was learned DONT USE 100MM PDC WHEELS ON 4" PDC HUBS
[sig]10306[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just DON'T use adapters - or spacers! Get the proper wheels.
ImageImage
sidanuk
Minor Friendly

Post by sidanuk »

bmcecosse wrote:Just DON'T use adapters - or spacers! Get the proper wheels.
OK OK , i get the message , but where do i get wide wheels from , I dont want banded i dont want Minlights, is the any way i can get the loo i want , retro-smoothies. or a wide standard wheel for the rears. am i asking to much ? what are my options
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

sidanuk wrote:what are my options
Not much "off the shelf"

Redrilling either wheels or hubs are options and there are companies that will make what ever you want - for a price of course.

Speak to JLH for best advice on what's out there....

http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It is possible to fit wider rims to Minor centres. But it's obviously a Safety Critical part of the car - so MUST be done PROPERLY!
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I do not have a problem with spacers with a proviso..

if you are using them to put the centre line of your new wheels in the same place as the centre line of your old wheels to ensure your bearings are not subjected to any additional forces in the wrong plain, i.e. correcting the offset. i believe they are fine.

any other reason such as "prefer the look" is not a good idea.

I would obviously expect the wheels supplied by a moggy centre to have the correct offset and therefore not need spacers.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

There is a difference between wheel adapters and wheel spacers. I'd shy away from adapters as they are ofted poorly concieved and can fail with dramatic results.
Wheel spacers are a different beast. There is no difference to fitting a 20mm spacer to a wheel with 20mm to little offset as there is to a wheel with the correct offset. Quite often race cars can have a spacer fixed to the wheel to achieve the correct offset.
I totally agree that the correct offset should be first choice, but wheel width is also vital here as this is what will upset the bearings.