Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
phurn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

hi guys.

Post by phurn »

hi everyone =]

i figured this would be the right place to say hello....
anyway i havent buaght a minor yet, however i do plan to do so in the near future so i figured this is probably the best place to come ;)
so any buying advice would be well recieved hehe.

Im not looking for a minter, just something with an mot an fiarly straight body work that i can use as and when i want and fix up at my leisure. (thats the plan anyway)

Previously ive owned a ford 100e (which was absolutely terrifying to drive) and a porsche 924 which im currently breaking and selling on and when thats finally shifted i can buy my minor =]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Hi Phurn.

Welcome to the fold. Be sure to read the "new member?" thread at the top of this section.

what type of car (saloon/cnvertible/trav) are you looking to buy and what budget?

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hi and welcome you may find this posting useful
http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/index.ph ... ic&t=27472
It also helps if you fill in your whereabouts in your profile, and if you look in the l/hand menu there is some advice on what to look out for.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

just a basic saloon would suit me fine, its not going to be traveling far and i am but a poor student so my budget is .....very limited. lol
like i say, anything thats fairly solid on the body and has an mot will do me, interior can be scruffy as it wants and the paint fading away, that matters not.
ive seena afew of these on ebay with weak gearboxes, is thi s a common problem?
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Not really, besides which a good second hand box shouldn't set you back more than about £50

For a budget minor you really need to be looking at the underside more than anywhere else. Mechanical bits are freely available and pretty straightforward to deal with - sounds like you might be pretty handy with the spanners anyway!

Common rot spots are:

o the sills - check from the underside with a screwdriver or similar - a dull 'thud' indicates rot. Ask the seller if they can remove the cover plate (the triangualr bolt on panel inside the door) to check the top
o rear spring hangers
o inner wings (way to check is to open the door and then try to 'wiggle' it up and down - the other sure sign is if there is rot at the back of the front wing

Of course, theres no substitute for experienced eyes, stick your location in your profile (use the profile link up top) and you might be able to persuade someone local to have a shufty with you!

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

thanks =] i doubt youll ever find a sill worse than on the car im stripping.... its got a 2 inch wide, 12 inch long hole right down the passenger side sill... and some sod welded the wing onto the a post so i have one less thing to sell =[
Ive also seen alot with rotten spring hangers so id figured theyre not worth goign near if its rotten there.
overall i much prefered the pop to the 924, right up untill the day i jacked the pop right up in the air, must have been almost 3 feet up, yet the front wheel was still on the floor.......
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Any numeric idea of budget? One mans "very limited" is another mans fortune....

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

id have to wait to see what turns up in my student loan ;) but ill be hard pushed to top a grand.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I thought Porsches were galvanised -that's supposed to be the joy of the 924 - it doesn't rot! Put the Porsche engine/box in a Minor - would be interesting project!
As others have said - body condition is EVERYTHING - mechaniacla stuff is easy and cheap. Buy a cheap Minor with 'weak' gearbox - it's relatively easily and chaply swapped.
ImageImage
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Well, with a bit of searching you should be able to find a pretty decent car for £800 to £1000. Lucky you, being able to spend it on a car - mine got spent on beer and beans...

Theres quite a few folk on here from around Brum too, so you might be able to tap someone into having a looky with you...

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

they are ment to be galvanised... but this one stood outside for 13 years prior to my arrival ;) and once its gotten under the galvinisation it eats it faster than you could eat a pasty!
they all so have 70's fuel injection, a true nightmare.
wouldnt i loose ALL the boot of the car droppin the box in, being front engined and rear boxed and all......
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

well if i get one for 800 then ill still have money for beer. though thats what i work for... beer money, or cider money to be more exact.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Just the one can of beans then Dan ? :D

d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Three tins actually, one bean a week and then "liquid bread" for the rest of the time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who'd be a student eh?

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Just a thought, but have you checked how much insurance will be?
It should be reasonable via the club but you need to budget for these things.
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

yep minors are about the cheapest car to insure, the cheapest ive found is £700 =[ same price as a30/35's , minx's...heralds..a40's ect.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Shameless hijack of this thread but soon to be available for offers around £1000 :-)

<br>Image<br>
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Surely not?

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

With sadness - but - I have to fund the Traveller project :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

You'll need to change your username too......