Advice for a New Owner for the Longer Term

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MarkyB
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by MarkyB »

I agree with regaliaqueen, that's why I said just enjoy the drive.
Many Minors are daily drivers and/or go on the MOT or LEO with no problems at all.
Thinking about all the things that "might"go wrong ends up feeling that something is bound to go wrong which it isn't.
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

More often than not a car this is used regularly deteriorates less than one that it sat stationary. In relative terms less servicing and maintainance work is needed too (a car that only does 1500 miles a year is still going to need an annual service, and is more likely to need bits replacing because they've stuck up, corroded etc)

In short, the secret to a happy healthy minor is to use it!

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i could not agree more dan,a few spares ,fanbelt,hoses, coil, ignition spares wd40 aa / rac card that should do really .
[sig]5641[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yep i think the secret is to use them

in over .......... years of owning morris minors
have had a couple of by pass hoses go and a points failure once

so they are reliable

i carry hoses, and points and a coil apart from the usual tool kit that came with the car and thats about it and of course my breakdown card

mainteneance is the key here
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

good point regaliaqueen, I use mine most days, doing about 250 a week, but am increasingly "popping" 200 miles down the motorway, so tend to keep spares in the car under the boot, as a "just in case"! I've got loads of stuff there now, it's getting a bit full. I've never tended to use much of it though :D

It's amazing how reliable most cars are if they're used and serviced regularly.

I agree the main thing is to get out and use it. And about the chocolate hob nobs! We had a chocolate cool box on LEO, although I think entrusting it to Jack my son was a bad move! :roll:

You could end up with a very full boot and never taking the car further than walking distance from the house!

Agreed Alainmoran, I like the challenge of "now get out of that" situations! They're quite fun in a way.

Andrew
Maggie, 1969, 4 door, Almond Green.
And Project "Traveller"...
[sig]4253[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You can guarantee that the one spare you haven't got will be the one that will break. But don't worry, the Isle of Wight Branch will be sure to get you going again.
[sig]3580[/sig]
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

I just have to be sure to break down on the IoW :D

Yeah, in truth my minor has always been more reliable than the modern's I've owned, but then I take care of her more than the moderns ... I never feel the joy with maintaining a modern, but with a minor it's always rewarding.
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

A rolling back rack (aka a skateboard on wheels) for sliding under the car with .. I can't get under a car without one!

ok is that going too far for an emergency tool kit? :P

HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

I just carry a phone and RAC card and in 18 months its worked a treat, no breakdowns but then I am getting to old to want to get my hands dirty. but I do keep her well serviced.
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

Yep servicing is the key ... a minor will NEVER break down if they are regularly serviced ... it's only when they feel that they aren't getting the attention that they deserve that they get stroppy & break down.

I know it's probably wrong to assign personality traits to a machine, but IMO my minor is WAY more than a simple machine, they are imbued with life from all the people that have driven her, and after all she is older than I am so I should really listen to what she has to say :D
DuncanBeaumont
Minor Friendly

Post by DuncanBeaumont »

As the OP, may I say thank you for all the responses.

My post was not meant to be alarmist, or to imply that Minors are unreliable.

What I wanted and have received, is advice on spares and tools to carry in the car
1. On a day to day basis.
2. when doing longer trips

and useful stuff to have in the garage in the event of a breakdown.

I couldn't agree more with those that that have said 'get out and enjoy it'.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Just a few essentials (small tool box with AF spanners, screwdriver set, small electical pliers, plugs fan-belt).

Add a small box of latex gloves and a Morris Minor Club Apron - I always find I'm wearing good clothes when I need to change a wheel.
Roll of kitchen towel (fits nicely in the passenger shelf - which also acts as a dispenser!)

Lastly, one plastic groundsheet. Useful for putting under the engine bay when working on the engine. Any small screws, nuts etc will drop onto the sheet and be recovered - not lost forever in the grass....