It's been discussed a thousand times...but stereos?!?!

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bigal_85
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

It's been discussed a thousand times...but stereos?!?!

Post by Bigal_85 »

Hi guys,

I have done a search of all the stereo threads but I don't want to set my traveller on fire so thought I would ask for confirmation on my stereo plan. It's a basic Alpine head unit and I want it to retain EQ settings and saved stations. Speakers aren't an issue...that's sorted. Where to put the head unit isn't an issue..that's sorted. It's just to make sure the wiring is fine.

I plan to take the stereo power from this connector (see picture) run it through the bulkhead to meet the stereo inside (which has a fuse in it). I then earth the stereo (the car is negative earthed) and connect my aerial. The stereo has a wire to connect to the ignition but I'm just going to leave that disconnected. I use the car everyday so I doubt that it is going to cause problems with my battery (I'm still on the dynamo).

What do you all think??

<br>Image<br>
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

You should ideally fit a suitably sized inline fuse as close to the existing fusebox as possible. The fuse in the stereo only protects against something shorting out inside the stereo, not shorts in the wiring before it reaches the stereo.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Also the ACC wire probably needs to be connected to the supply if you're not going to connect it to the ignition circuit.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Bigal_85
Minor Friendly

Post by Bigal_85 »

So your suggesting i take the power from the fuse box, run it through a 10amp(?) inline fuse then into the stereo??

Also i'm guessing the ACC wire is the ignition wire I'm talking about...it's red...would I just connect that to the other side of the fuse box if I wanted to do that?
davesmith
Minor Friendly

Post by davesmith »

make sure that the wire you are using is o higher amp than the fuse you intend to fit. you thn will need two live feeds to the stero , one that is swiched to turn the stero off with the ignition and one that is always live. the second of the two can be taken of the battery or the fuse box, i think it looks better from the fuse box as it is easer to hide the wires. also if the stereo still has a wiring adaptor on the end of the wires leave it on and get an iso adapter as these use a standerd colour code and tell you what wire needs to beconected to what<br>Image<br>
[sig]490[/sig]
Bigal_85
Minor Friendly

Post by Bigal_85 »

Right...I get the wire point but what is the point of the switched connection if there is always a live feed. I don't have a problem switching it on and off myself (i'll be taking the face off anyway)...just worried about draining the battery.

Is it bad practice to have 2 wires...an earth and a power feed from the fuse box?? And speaker cables obviously.
davesmith
Minor Friendly

Post by davesmith »

the conection that is always live keeps the info stored on the stereo the switched live turns the stereo on and off with the ignition
[sig]490[/sig]
davesmith
Minor Friendly

Post by davesmith »

read your post again if you dont wire both lives in the stereo will not switch on
[sig]490[/sig]
Bigal_85
Minor Friendly

Post by Bigal_85 »

Right...cool. So I need both wired in order for the stereo to function. My live feed is yellow, my switched feed is red. Would I wire the yellow to where it shows on my diagram and the red to a connector on the other side of the fuse box??
davesmith
Minor Friendly

Post by davesmith »

i cant rember which side is switched and which side is live but if the one in the arrow is always live then yes you are right
[sig]490[/sig]