Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

my moggys filling up with water when it rains

Post by andrew.searston »

hi everyone
i have a problem with water coming in from the rear of the car :( and filling the boot and the drivers side rear floor with water
ive replaced the rear window seal, boot seal, and bumper rubbers.
the cars just passed its mot so i wouldnt thort its rotted out anything
and another think its parked out side all the time

i want to stop it before it becomes a swimming pool

any advice anyone
[sig]9671[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

in the rear of the car well sounds like the rear screen leaking

the boot area could be quite a few places, number plate fixings, boot lock, and rear seal not seting properly, its very difficult to get this area sorted
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

I had the same problem with mine and replaced all the seals and rubbers including under the hinges. The rear window rubber, a new part, only stopped leaking after sealing with mastic between the rubber and glass and the rubber and body.
Problem was the boot still leaked, just not as much. It turned out to be the badges and the number plate mounting screws. Not a drop in there since I sealed them up. It was amazing how much water came in that way, it made quite a pond in the back of the boot.

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The rear window rubber, a new part, only stopped leaking after sealing with mastic between the rubber and glass and the rubber and body.
My experiences of changing front and rear screens on more than one occasion reinforces this. :(
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

also check the void under the rear seat. If it's in there, it's worth taking the sill closers off to check inside the sill. Mine was getting wet in the back because of water coming in via a rusty sill.

Andrew
Maggie, 1969, 4 door, Almond Green.
And Project "Traveller"...
[sig]4253[/sig]
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

ive lifted the rear seat up and theirs know water in that area
just where the carpet is in the rear drives side and in the boot where the spare wheel is and also at the back of the boot nearest the seat back. the rear window isnt leaking because ive been init when its rained hard
[sig]9671[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Rear drivers side is surely leaky side window seal then ? Answer is - to be inside the car - fold down the rear seat so you can lie head first in the boot - while someone makes rain with a hose!
If it's going to luie outdoors all the time - best invest in a car cover for it - unless it's going to be used every day ?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Leaky Morris Minors, that is a design feature. If yours does not leak through the front windscreen seal you are doing well. If you can't fix the leaks get rid of the water. Drill small drain holes in the floor of the box section one the outer end and one by the diff on each side and also in the boot floor near the diff and at the outer end. Be carefull that there are no pipes or cables where you are drilling.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

andrew.searston wrote:ive lifted the rear seat up and theirs know water in that area
just where the carpet is in the rear drives side and in the boot where the spare wheel is and also at the back of the boot nearest the seat back. the rear window isnt leaking because ive been init when its rained hard
Ah but did you check behind the trim I have known rear screens to leak and run down behind the trim so there is not an obvious leak, but if you remove the trim and you should see a stain left by the water in the dust.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

That's the way mine leaked from the back window, not a sign of it until under the seat and flowing under the trim most of the way.

wanderinstar
Minor Addict

Post by wanderinstar »

Kevin wrote: Ah but did you check behind the trim I have known rear screens to leak and run down behind the trim so there is not an obvious leak, but if you remove the trim and you should see a stain left by the water in the dust.
That was where mine leaked. I kept mopping it up and baling out before i realised where it was coming from. By the time I did the front mounting for the rear springs had rotted out and the join between rear passenger footwell and the stiffening panel that rear seat sits onhad gone. Major work to repair.
Fit a new screen seal and make sure you use some sort of sealant between glass and seal and body and seal.

"Ohh new rubbers don't need sealant" oh yeah!!!!! Tell me another.
[sig]2052[/sig]Ian.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Like you, I fell for the 'no sealant' required nonsense.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

When my car was painted, the windows and new rubbers were re-fitted by a "professional" as part of the cost. I was told by him that they needed time to settle to get a seal and stop leaking. That never happened. It took a nice warm day and a gun full of mastic to seal things up properly. Now - no leaks either stationary or moving. But,,,,, the car fought back and I cant really figure it out.
On testing the car in a heavy wind and rain day I thought all was well until turning to go home. At a particular wind/rain direction and car speed there was the occasional shot of cold water onto the side of the head, much like a water pistol would feel. It was coming from the gap between the window frame and door under the drivers quarterlight and was very accurately aimed.