Hose Issues

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
leyther8008
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by leyther8008 »

Breather pipe going into the rocker cover as well instead of just being a dump to air or a tappet cover one definatley someone messing about in there. Heater hoses dont look to be heading in the usual places, And looking at the number of washers below the thermostat housing nuts I would guess its a 1275 engine.
Has it got tappet covers?
I'll see you on the otherside'!
old.bodger
Minor Friendly

Post by old.bodger »

Right this calls for a closer look over the weekend! Have I been sold a pup?? I have fitted a new 'stat cover and it seems a better fit for the hose although I still feel it could do with about another half inch of length. Any way of moving the Rad to the right? As to the engine type.....does the number under the plugs give any clue or where else to look.....more photo's?
Thanks for your help guys! (and I thought that this was going to be a gradual rolling upgrade of a basically good car).
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If it is a 1275 it will not have any tappet chest covers on the left side of the block behind the exhaust manifold. Also it could have an upside down oil filter at the back of the engine which would be a Marina / Ital block. The engine no. should start with a 12 (CE) for a 1275 and 10 (MA) for a 1098.
Don't panic yet, these are all small problems that are easily sorted out once the parts are identified.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A 1275 would be a bonus - not a 'pup' - but it is a 1098 from what I can see.
ImageImage
old.bodger
Minor Friendly

Post by old.bodger »

Interesting! As predicted a change to a new 'stat housing helped correct the problem and then I noticed that the rad seemed to be mounted a bit on the low side. You wouldn't be able to insert a starting handle. It seemed to be an error of about an inch. I found that on the near side of the car there was another hole that allowed the rad to be lifted by exactly this amount but nothing on the off side. I've made a small extension 'strap' at the moment to allow this rise to take place and all is sorted but the history of why and how it happened escapes me. Just a comment.....not overly impressed with 'kevelar' hoses this one seems to have built in splits on arrival...normal? Now it's only the blown indicator unit......but thats another post!<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>