Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Sticking clutch,

Post by les »

I was so pleased with my moggie this afternoon, I had not used the mog for about 3 months, turned the key and it started! There was a smell of petrol which turned out to be a leak where the carb to pump pipe was clamped at the pump end. When I trimmed the pipe the rubber under the braiding was quite hard, I'm wondering if it's the result of using unleaded. I think unless the rubber is Neoprene based there can be an adverse effect.
However the real downer was/is the clutch will not release, I've tried rocking the car, spinning the starter motor and pushing, all in gear with the clutch depressed but with no success, What shall I do next?
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

You could try taking the spark plugs out & putting the handbrake on, putting the starting handle in the position where it needs to be pulled up, get someone the press the clutch pedal down and jack up the starting handle while gradually bouncing the front slightly.....OR

If you know how to drive the car without using the clutch (i.e. setting the revs and 'snick'ing the gears in) then go up and down the box accelerating & decelerating harshly and braking sharply, this should break the friction material away from the flywheel.

It should not be stuck too badly if it has only been standing for 3 months.

Good luck & be safe!!

Cam. :D
Willie
Minor Legend

clutch

Post by Willie »

If you are still having trouble, you can raise the rear wheels off
of the ground VERY SECURELY (at least two large jacks under
the axle tubes) chock the front wheels too and then start the car.
The wheels will be turning, DEPRESS THE CLUTCH, and then slam
on the brakes, the clutch should disengage instantly!!!!
Make sure nobody is standing anywhere near the car.
Willie
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Cam & Willie, I,m still having trouble. I have tried driving the car, but without a quiet road to play on I've had to be quite restrained. I have not tried the starting handle trick I do not want to chance the crankshaft pully nut overtightening despite the lockwasher. I will try the jacking up method tomorrow, will post progress. For 3 months standing it sure is stuck! It could be a bit longer on reflection, perhaps another month or so.
Cam

Post by Cam »

If Willie's method does not work then something is seriously wrong, as that should easily break it free. :o

You will have to strip it down and free it manually on the bench. :(

Engine out job! Not as bad as it sounds, some people take the gearbox out instead, but it is very awkward (I've done it & did NOT like it!) I take the engine out every time now (makes life easier - especially when messing with the clutch).

Keep on trying....

Cam. :D
Kevin

Sticking Clutch

Post by Kevin »

Hi Les an easier method to try that has worked for me in the past is to start the car and let it get nice and warm 10minutes should be ok, then switch off and put it into second gear, it might be a bit stiff, and then try restarting the car with the clutch either depressed or not, it might take 3 or 4 goes, this should work on a car that has only stood for a short while, and make sure that you are too not near a wall ect, the other method is to get the car warm and then get someone to give you a tow this also works, both methods are worth trying before dismantling anything
good luck

Kevin
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks to all,
I have finally managed to free the clutch using the method Willie suggested although it took about 10 minutes of revving and hitting the brakes, I can't understand it being so tough.
Yes Cam, I was starting to think that something was broken and it would be an engine out job, but a couple of years ago I rebuilt the unit throughout checking everything and felt sure it was ok, so plodded on.
Anyhow it's ok now, thanks again.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

hi Les,
Did your problem come back?
I had that in my old 2 door caised by oil leaking onto the clutch and burning, leaving a sticky residue.
Eventually it gaot worse and it would stick over just a weekend, so I had to crack the clutch off with the starter motor whilst in second gear.

If you are lucky then it was caused by 'rogue' clutch materials. some compounds are prone to make the clutch chemically weld itself to the flywheel (not that the clutch manufacturers ever like to admit that! I heard about it from an insider who had the same problem on his TR until he changed to a non standard clutch lining material.. in the manufacturers' prototype shop)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(