What first got you into Minors?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jock299
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by jock299 »

My friend had just bought a total wreck of a shell of an Austin Healy Frogeye Sprite
And we spent 3 years rebuilding it back to concourse standards which was no easy task as we had to cut out a good 40% plus of the original shell .
I wanted something practicable so I looked at a Morris Minor due to having a family I got a Morris Minor book and said that it would be nice to own a Minor Million.
At the time I had a classic mini mk 1 i was driving in Leeds and out the corner of my eye I seen a lilac car going down a side street I turned round sharpish and followed it yes you guessed it was a Minor Million and it was for sale , slightly blinded by my find I bought it there and then .
That was in 2000 due to other commitments it has been off the road since 2002 when I noticed the old tin worm had weakened her and i didn’t want to put my kids in her until she was right again
[sig]8793[/sig]
StinkBug

New Member Intro

Post by StinkBug »

Hi there,
I couldn't find a new member into and saw this as a close to it. :)

Just had a landmark of a day today beginning to detail the 1960 2 dr Saloon. Living in the US, this was one for the market and is right hand drive.

It's WAY more than I imagined it could be as I almost bought it sight unseen due to excessive enthusiasm. However, it's a gem.

Stock and I truly think the odometer is correct with 45000 miles! There is no evidence of a second paint job and being an Oregon car, not on the coast, rust free other than superficial in the truck/boot near the latch where there was a leak inside.

The headliner, immaculate. Seats and carpeting, 90% perfect other than some small tears on driver seat and left foot wear. The glove boxes I've never seen with black liners all perfect. Looks like new, I swear. The vinyl inside of the glovie door is worn a minor amount.

I won't prattle on but this site I've visited many times and am looking forward to joining the club proper.

My first Morris was a 2dr 1958 and my boyfriend said "you can have it if you can fix it". It was my 17th birthday. Tranny was shot on 1st and reverse. Trashed interior, no grill, oh so much. But I loved that thing and is part of my heart and history. It met its demise when it hit a tree after I was thrown from the car, bent frame. (Another story in itself).

So here I am, significantly more years have passed but can still say this car is older than me. Well, a year counts, doesn't it ;-)

I'm going to take it to a Portland Morris mechanic who's been around for ages and have him do a shake down properly. Brakes (disc kit is the only non-original) are not great and exhaust. Some electrical tweaks for the dash light, for example. All emblems are there, dang, everything.

Ok ok... I said I'd stop. It was a landmark day and one of my happiest. I look forward to hanging out here, asking questions, learning more and hopefully being able to help others, too. Have always been mechanically minded for a "girl", *grin* and nothing like a Morris Minor. It finally came round in my life again. And that is another story how it was a fluke.

Thank you and I'll upload some photos soon. It needs paint since the guy I bought it from started to do some primer on dull spots (sheesh). But it will be a lovely daily driver and fun for meets.

Be well,
StinkBug (aka Kathryn)
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Welcome to the forum, StinkBug! :)
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Welcome to this Board, here's to many miles of happy motoring. :D

Have you met Zack another member of this board from Oregon?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
PatLazell
Minor Friendly

welcome stinkbug

Post by PatLazell »

welcome to the club, I like you am a hands on moggy owner (still have the grime under my finger nails to prove it) the club is very helpful from that point of view and they have a great sense of humour.
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/patlazell/missC-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/patlazell/lamp.jpg[/img]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

You have to have a sense of humour to drive a moggy :wink: Love the Art Deco- esque lamp!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

Welcome to the board 'StinkBug' :D
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
StinkBug

Thanks for the welcome

Post by StinkBug »

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome.
I look forward to meeting up with Zack sometime, I recall noting someone else was in the Portland Oregon area. There's a few of us, no doubt. Yay!

Each type of discussion board is a little different in structure. I see areas for mechanical, electrical, body work, etc., meets, off topic.

EDIT: I found the history thread. Left the question in here for continuity.
Can anyone point me to where I can find info on tracing the history of this car with VIN? Or even the license plate number? (the plate happens to be a 1956 Oregon plate with a 60 over the 56 as they did back then).

I wish to DMV register it under Special Interest. However, unless I only use it for parades and such... or it be a drag racer *grin*, they won't do it. Still learning. It has Special Interest sticker on the plates now. The "DMV rules" say 2008 - 1900 divided by 2. The goof balls. Sheesh. Anyways, it would have to be 1956 I think. Heck, math is not my strong suit.

It's bloody 47 yrs old for crying out loud. Anything older than 25 yrs should be at least collector. Oregon may be weird. I still have a lot to learn and will register it asap, this Monday.

Oh, I'm Canadian btw. Not sure if I mentioned. Lived in Victoria BC where the Minor and other British cars were somewhat commonplace. That's where I had my '58. Now I'm an underground rabble rowser with my Canadian citizenship always intact. And, sadly, I have a terrible short term memory due to recovering from Lyme disease. Still have it but managing. More info than you want to know, I'm sure. But if I repeat myself, I'll haul out that excuse. wink: Hope ya don't mind emoticons, they help me be less winded, honest.

I understand that cars are not recorded via a large network prior to 1981. Am curious to know the month (if poss) of the manufacture of this particular car. When it was imported as it's right hand drive from factory for export). Where it went, who bought it, dealership etc. Actually want to know everything possible to document the history of Happy. (That's what I call her).

Is there a thread for history? Sorry to already write the details. I can cut and paste. Will get my feet sea legs here soon. Please let me know if there is an appropriate thread?

I have a manual that the previous owner paid $50 for on Ebay. Ouch! It's a tech guide, like the Chilton manual but only for Morris. Can give more info when I have it next to me. Am looking for a Hayes. Anyone recommend good manuals to have for the person with basic knowledge, some experience but... knows just enough to make her dangerous? :-)

Tried the horn for a test and smoke came out. :o
If someone wishes to PM me if these are dumb questions in this thread, or anyone wants to give me a few short cuts on how to find my away around to the right area, I'd appreciate it.

I'm in the question and answer and "honeymoon" phase at the moment with Happy, then will probably post updates... and then quiet from me with some well deserved road trips :) hopefully to a few meets.

Thanks a bunch,
StinkBug, aka Kathryn or Stink works for me, too. A friend nicknamed me that. Nothing to do with beans, honest. Have no idea but the name stuck. :D :
PatLazell
Minor Friendly

stinkbug name

Post by PatLazell »

[quote Love the Art Deco- esque lamp![/quote]
just a little thing I knocked up, I did a camper van for my brother as well.

I wonder how many of us have names which we have been called for longer than our given names. my mum and I were both Patricias but I was and still am known as Min. from Minnie the Minx, which was the motif I had put on my red Mini in a disc on the bonnet. so to family and friends I am still Min. there must be some wierder ones than that out there.....
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/patlazell/missC-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/patlazell/lamp.jpg[/img]
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

I blame several people for my insanity. Firsty I always liked cars and my aunt bought me a model million when i was about 5. We always went to rallys and i started collecting models and books. one day a neighbour got one for his 60th birthday. and i plagued him till i got a chance to buy one myself. Ive only got the one (at the moment) which i got the day i passed my driving test at 17. Further madness was encouraged by members of the NIMMOC. Especially you David McCullough!!! (yes im partly blaming you - you helped to create a monster!!!)

StinkBug

Post by StinkBug »

stevey wrote:I blame several people for my insanity. Firstly I always liked cars and my aunt bought me a model million when i was about 5.
We all share a lot in common. The Million model car (I assume meant a model, as in assembling replica)... are they still around?

I bought a metal complete model a few years ago at a meet. Painted it the yellow my '58 was. It goes voom when one rolls it backwards on a firm surface. The cats are not amused yet have no qualms about walking through the recently treated to shiny seats.

Nicknames, I see most of them have them, as do many of us :)

Living in the US, in my area we always called them Mighty Mos. I'm not so familar with the more British term of Moggy/Moggies. Can anyone tell me how that came to being.

Lastly, I had little luck at the history search. :( The link is only for British cars, it seems. Am still seeking US info. Since there are US clubs and site, I may seek there. This is such a valuable resource of knowledgeable people with so many years experience. I'll be sticking around. You're stuck with me.

Be well,
StinkBug.
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

yep you can still get the models ok they come up on ebay very now and again. the big models are fairly new
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINICHAMPS-Morris ... 286.c0.m14

StinkBug

Post by StinkBug »

stevey wrote:yep you can still get the models ok they come up on ebay very now and again. the big models are fairly new
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINICHAMPS-Morris ... 286.c0.m14
Oooo, Ooooo, thank you Stevey. Mine is certainly not a millionth but this will be the closest I likely will ever get. I have one (die cast) with opening doors. This has moving front wheels (I think) and an opening bonnet with engine detail.

Even though the US$ sucks compared to the UK Pound, it's worth it. :)
Thanks,
StinkBug.
HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

Back in 1978 I saw a moggy at a local car sale site for a £199, went and had a look at it someone had fitted 4 new fibre glass wings and primered it and then lost interest in it and part exed it. My mother bought it and I managed to get it resprayed in Dove grey for £25 including paint. My mother kept it 3 years when she part exed for a Honda 600 which went like the clappers. Does anyone know if BEV 220B is still around. Steve
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

my reason is quite simply that they were the only old bangers me and my mates could afford at the time

vans costing around the £50.00 to maybe £75.00 for a better one, was in 1968
Onne

Post by Onne »

Date of Liability 01 07 1999
Date of First Registration 02 04 1964
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1048CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREY
Vehicle Type Approval null

So it is still around Steve, but not on the road.
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I was given my Morris by my Uncle, just so that I could learn to drive in (it was assumed that I would sell it once I passed my test)
I used to go out with my dad (no lessons) and we would travel all over the place. During this period (late 60's) it was fairly common to see dumped vehicles and I can remember dusk raids for various bits and pieces. I cant remember why but I once aquired a full complement of exhaust valves from a dumped MM! - as we all know, not a five minute job te remove.
On my test I was asked to start the engine in preperation to 'move off when ready' to which I replied that I was just waiting for the oil pressure to rise!
Anyway 36 years later I still have the Morris! and I passed my test first time!
StinkBug

Post by StinkBug »

alanworland wrote:I was given my Morris by my Uncle, just so that I could learn to drive in (it was assumed that I would sell it once I passed my test)
<snip>
Anyway 36 years later I still have the Morris! and I passed my test first time!
She's beautiful, Alan.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Can you tell me, please, what is the name of the colour? My 1960 2dr saloon is the same (I think!, not sure). Not quite green, not really blue, nor grey.

I think it's the same colour as yours.
Will send some pics (I know, I keep promising) and see if it compares. I know mine hasn't been changed from the original (altho a new outer paint job.
Any lists I found of paint are all text with no samples.
Mine has red carpet and the red seats (all red, no white piping). No trim outside either than a black pinstripe (vinyl, not paint) down the side, thin.

Thank you again, it's one sweet car you have there.
StinkBug.