Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Creaky rear end?

Post by Peetee »

If the rear of your car creaks, take it from me - it shouldn't! I put up with less than silent rear end on three cars, assuming it was just part of the charm of an old Minor.
Check the condition of the rear springs. Mine had flattened almost imperceptably (on removal they were only 1/2" flatter than new ones) but enough so the rear shackles swung back so far that the rear spring 'curl' was in contact with the chassis rail. Obviously this sort of damage has serious repercussions with regard to rot.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

ooh ooh - ouch! thanks for that tip, peetee :)
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Creaking can also be the spring hangers coming through the floor! Definately don't put up with it!
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

minor_hickup wrote:Creaking can also be the spring hangers coming through the floor!
The can only do that if there's a floor for them to come up through...
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

UPDATE!

The creaks have returned and so has the bad ride quality.
The source of the problem is the flange on the rear box sections.
Now that the springs have settled in they are rubbing on this flange because it is so deep. I have heard of a certain restorer that cuts them down before welding them in to give clearance so I wonder how many other cars are suffering these symptoms unneccesarily :-?
It's not going to be an easy job on Albert though as he's full of waxoyle!!
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

The flange around the rear shackle plates should be shaped to miss the spring. This was standard on Minors. If you do not wish to strip down the suspension and risk fire with welding then just fit slightly longer shackle plates to clear the chassis. They are available. :) :wink:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And easy to make up yourself! But are you sure you have good bump stops on the axle - because the suspension shoudn't be able to go down that far - the bump stop should catch it!
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Everything is new Mr Ecosse.
When the springs were fitted they cleared the flange no prob. Now they have been driven a bit they have flattened a bit, lengthened a bit and the shackle plates have swung back and up causing the prob
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

I have just cured the exact fault on a Minor fresh from extensive welding and with new springs. The web was too deep and the spring was rubbing on it, especially on speed humps. We just lowered the spring a little and ground a half moon clearance in the web, then re fitted the spring
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Sounds like the best plan, jjust remove the metal necassary. The large lip on repair panels may be to aid plug welding them in perhaps? At least now your springs have settled the ride should be its best!