MMOC Member: Yes

Post by mrbenn »

Nice photo Neil 8)
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

SMS text update from Alex's blog 9/8/08 7.24am:

Further to last night's police-with-machine-guns incident, the Prince of Wales may have been informed. Nearly got locked out of my YH too.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Further update-just docked in Stromness
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Ok, been round the Highland Park distillery (and somehow managed to down 6 wee drams......), had lunch in Kirkwall in a small cafe who failed to charge us for 2 of our soups (there was 4 of us), checked into our b&b in Costa and had a snooze, and been to Kevin's to deliver my 2 old wings to him for Scabby. Alex and Ray were there, Alex busily making a bacon butty. Chatted for a while then headed into Kirkwall. Now sitting in a Chinese rest with a group of drunk Irishmen who are incapable of communicating at anything less than a shout!
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
callyspoy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by callyspoy »

after reading all this, i could be tempted to do it next year. if only the car was capable!!
Kevincolley
Minor Friendly

Post by Kevincolley »

just made it back home to manchester safe and well, after the car was put on to a lowloader yesterday morning, this was due to the clutch braking so i had no gears and the already failing brakes, i felt that it was unwise to continue the run, my appologies to those on the run. However it will be noted that over all i was disapointed with the run, in its organisation, communication, and some comments made whilst on the trip, this was my first club run and my well be my only run, given the way i feel at the moment, sadley it was a small few who spoilt what should of been a realy good holiday for me, with coments made on my driving, whilst i had offered to take them into town for dinner, the organisation of the ferry could of been handled much better as i never recieved any details of times or the referance number for this so did not recieve my discount, this also follows the lack of communication, given that i had no idea of the route that we were taking, and that no effort was made to make sure that everybody knew what was going on. on the plus side i enjoyed the days at Crich Tram mueseum and Beamish and of course Cam and Gills wedding.
Im sorry to rant on but i feel that i have 2 make my personal feelings and opinions clear.

to those that offered help and support on this trip i thank you and i will be intouch.

Steam enthusiast, owner of 2 Morris minors and hes only 24
Prowed Owner of
Moggy 1964 Rose Taupe Morris Traveller ATY 243 B
Trevor 1964 Trafalgar Blue Morris Traveller PRX 220 B (under restoration)
KGC Engineering, Heritage Transport Restoration and Maintenance 07879 368 181 kgcengineering@hotmail.co.uk
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

sadley it was a small few who spoilt what should of been a realy good holiday for me, with coments made on my driving, whilst i had offered to take them into town for dinner
Glad you got back home ok Kevin. Sorry you didn't enjoy the run though. Are you sure that the comments made about your driving weren't just jokes? I've found that some Minor owners have a somewhat 'peculiar' sense of humour so perhaps the comments were made in jest? :-? I received several comments about my parking at the last rally I attended but I didn't take offence, I just made a jokey comment back (and I had parked appallingly anyway :lol: ).

Eric - 1971 Traveller
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

SMS text update from Alex's blog 10/8/08 12.41pm:

Spent last night in Kevin's caravan. At Orkney Vintage Show in rain again. Have just fitted rebuilt carb and Lintilla running much smoother.
Kevincolley
Minor Friendly

Post by Kevincolley »

if they were they didnt seem like it, i did take great offence to it as i would class my self as a good driver and i know what my car is and isnt capable of

Prowed Owner of
KGC Engineering, Heritage Transport Restoration and Maintenance 07879 368 181 kgcengineering@hotmail.co.uk
Kevincolley
Minor Friendly

Post by Kevincolley »

and has sadley made me wonder whether i should do club runs/rallys/events again, the way i feel atm its a no sadley, and it is because of the small minority, it made phoning the AA much easyer because all i wanted to do was come home

Prowed Owner of
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

Kevincolley wrote:and has sadley made me wonder whether i should do club runs/rallys/events again, the way i feel atm its a no sadley, and it is because of the small minority,
Hi Kevin

Sorry you had a bad time but please do not give up on Minor events - the MMOC has about 15000 members & you were upset by 3 or 4. In a large club there are bound to be personality clashes but it would be a shame to miss out on so many other trips/rallies.

Rog
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

SMS text update from Alex's blog 11/8/08 12.13pm:

On ferry back to Thurso. Taking Ray and all his stuff to Inverness. Jammed as much as possible into boot then latch broke and it won't open.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well Kevin C -at least you saved the petrol money getting AA to take you home ! Cunning trick. Unfortunate if the others on the run didn't 'click' with you - was there any particular event that seemed to set them against you ?
Certainly some of the Club members seem to be a bit 'reserved' shall I say. Yesterday coming home from Classic event in Biggar I soon came up behind two Travellers with MMOC badges trailing along slowly behind two Land Rovers and a non classic car. What a job I had to get past them ! Eventually got past the last one in the line although I felt he tried to close the gap as I was alongside, but the next one was clinging tightly to the back of the car in front and making no effort to overtake. I had to charge past them all in one go - and soon left them in my dust! Point is - they were going to cause a massive tail-back of traffic trundling along so slowly and not letting others go past - hardly the way to make Morris Minors popular with the public!
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

sorry to here you did not have a good time it was nice to meet you at chrich
[sig]5641[/sig]
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Sorry too – that I have to call BS on this.
Why don’t you just say who peed you off and why ? From what I gather you were as good as at the ferry and vanished and told nobody and nobody could contact you by mobile. You had done the run bar 15 miles tops…..
Tell you something for nothing if I had mechanical problems at the far north of the UK and was facing an uncertain hundreds of miles slog back or a few miles to ferry then a few more to a garage and a spare donor everything if needed – combined with being in a party of some of the most capable and knowledgeable mog peeps going, if the worst came to the worst you could have had a borrowed engine & clutch that’s just run in and a bloody good couple of hours fitting it.
Put up or shut up basically – who upset you and why ? Then others might be able to reply to the specifics.
If you air your grievances on a public forum at least be prepared to substantiate them rather than making vague comments – because after all that’s not fair on anybody especially when most are still on the road and unable to read or respond to your rather vague comments.
Is it true you didn’t receive any emails at all about the planned route & accommodation? If so how come you ended up staying at the same places?
When asked on several occasions if you were happy with the speed by numerous people and you replied yes did you constantly lag behind ?
Just look at BMC’s earlier post and see what that kind of driving tactic does for ‘promoting’ the mog !!!
Hope you also appreciate how upsetting your comments are to the person who put a lot of hard work into the run I.E. Bill – you state lack of communication yet if you delve back in this thread far enough you could also be seen to be lacking in communication yourself.
Also that all of the people on the run were worried by your disappearance without word to anyone until you post on here.
So just a word of warning to all that are coming out with the sympathy replies do remember there are 2 sides to every story and until everyone gets home the other 8 or nine concurring other sides cant be heard.

Big up to Bill – I know I take the mick mate but you’ve done a fantastic job and the seed you’ve sown is now a sapling – cant wait for next year and the following ones – Job well done !
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

This is inches away from being locked, btw. I think it's all still within the T&Cs (if not the spirit) of the board, but it'd be wise to continue the discussion via PM. Sorry all
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

oh don't, i was about to get the popcorn out, i've got my girlfriend round ready for round 2...

that's a childish response, i'm sorry...
:)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Mine or yours? :D
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

:lol:
mrbenn
Minor Fan

Post by mrbenn »

SMS text update from Alex's blog 11/8/08 9.26pm:

Lintilla much quicker on hills after dropping Ray off. Loch Lomond YH incredible - huge castle full of Chinese youths. Going home tomorrow.