MMOC Member: No

Post by benmagoo »

I want one that says : Driver On Board :D
[sig]8373[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I think the sign stays there, baby on board or not!! So in an accident it may or may not be in the car!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

les wrote:I think the sign stays there, baby on board or not!! So in an accident it may or may not be in the car!
You are supposed to take it down when there is no baby on board. I understand the emergency services get quite annoyed about people who leave the sign up regardless.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

You state the obvious Alex, but the easy option wins every time unfortunately. My comment had an element of sarcasm to it!
shellgrotto

Post by shellgrotto »

Thank you regaliaqueen, think I've found what I need now.

I'd rather get the bus than display a Baby on Board sticker. A friend of mine has a Husband in Boot sign. I'm guessing the emergency services probably wouldn't check.
thuesing

Post by thuesing »

Hi all,

Just to get away from 'Baby on board' stickers and back to the car seat issue: it was interesting to read your comments about fitting seatbelts etc but the problem I've run into is still slightly different!

I've been to two large Baby-supply stores so far and have asked them to advise me on which model of baby seat would fit into my car (explaining that of course I would still have the belts fitted). However, both times, the shop assistant was of the opinion that the width of the rear bench wasn't deep enough to fit the seat as the front seat was leaning against the baby seat (the front seat is already on the front bolt fitting - i.e. as far forward as it goes).

This only applies to a reclining baby seat from birth - I reckon that once the baby can sit upright and I can get the different style seat I should be in the clear, but the first baby seat is proving to be a problem and I'm really stressed out about it! My first reaction was: right, that's it, if that's the case, as far as I'm concerned the baby ain't goin anywhere! What a horrible mother am I...! But surely, there's *got* to be a way round it...??

Please if you could advise me on which make of seat you've had fitted in your car, I would be ever so grateful. (BTW mine is a 1966 2-door saloon).

Thanks ever so much in advance!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Bit drastic perhaps, but how about taking the front passenger seat out for the time being? You could still carry a passenger as well as the baby if they sit on the other side of the back seat.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
thuesing

Post by thuesing »

I know, I had even got desparate enough to have that idea myself - I expect I'll *have* to take the passenger seat out if no one can recommend anything else - but what exactly have other people done? From what I can gather people have been and are carrying their babies in their cars?? Without half-dismantling them??!!

Any ideas / suggestions please...
justinhenley

Post by justinhenley »

This is oddly a subject that I know a little bit about! Four Children and four minors later :)

The first and most important thing to remember is that by the time the car seat mountings come into play the child is an orphan anyway.

Our first Minor (Mirium the ex police car), I fitted inertia reel seatbelts at the back but in reverse to the standard practice with modern cars (IE the reels in the centre and the two points centrally and the single point on the left/right hand side). This works very well with Maxicosi Priory type car seats .. We also had a ratchet strap that slightly compressed the back seat down .. if oyu don't do this then the seat car lean over when going round corners.

For newborn babyseats we just put them in reverse on the passenger seat and put the belt over as the instructions. I don't 100% understand why you would put a rear facing car seat in the back of a car.

Mirium was destroyed in a head on colision with another car .. they had a combined speed of about 60-70 miles an hour at least. There was a slight tear in the baby seat but that was probably made by the firemen removing the roof, and my guess would be that they would have been more careful had the seat had a baby in it. I have absolute confidence that the safest people in a morris minor are those in a car seat. (On the other hand the driver walked away as well).

If you have the Maxi cosi type of seats you can get two accross the back of a car and still have enough room for a child.

We are now trying to work out how to get four children and two parents into a traveller ..
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Get another Traveller. One parent in each and two children - and two boots for all the luggage! :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

The first and most important thing to remember is that by the time the car seat mountings come into play the child is an orphan anyway.
I slightly disagree with that - unless the driver isn't wearing a seatbelt... the chances are that all parties will walk/limp away from the accident.

Also agree about baby seats - rear facing baby seat is best used in front passenger seat together with an inertia reel belt. This can cause trouble if you need to put the belt a long way, as I've seen some where the seatbelt couldn't extend long enough, however maybe the latest rear facing seats don't have that problem.

slightly off topic: Hello to justinhenley, Good to hear from you and what happened to the old ID? 'justinminor1000'. I'll have to get down and visit you all sometime soon - I'll probably bring the wife and kid ;-)
We are now trying to work out how to get four children and two parents into a traveller ..
I hope you've not got rid of the dog!
As for 6 people in a Minor - strictly speaking you'll can be in trouble with the insurance company even if they are all in proper seats as a Minor is officially a 4 seater.

I've had to restrict the use of my Trabant due to no rear belts. The Trabi estate has no practical way to mount rear seatbelts :(
I used to think much less about it until being in a crash driving a Eurobox with all 3 of us on board. Having a good car seat with rear belts made a massive difference. seatbelt bruises are far less problematic than major body trauma.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
thuesing

Post by thuesing »

Hi Justinhenley - Thanks so much for your reply - even though I've since asked a *third* shop (I've now been to Mothercare, Eddershaws and Halford's) and they also seemed to be of the opinion that the car would be unsuita

You questioned why I would try to fit a rear-ward facing infant baby seat onto the back bench of the Morris - well, it's what everyone has advised us is the safest thing. I understand that it's perfectly legal to have the baby on the front passenger seat, but the advice we've had says that it is safer *still* to mount the baby seat in the rear. Apparently because it is meant to be less distracting (or at least that's the only reason I can make out...) So there you go.

In any case it would mean that I would have to change my original front seat belts to inertia reel ones which I would prefer not to have to do - I already resent (slightly) having to tamper with the car by having belts installed in the rear... But one tries to be a responsible parent, so I can reconcile myself to the idea...! ;o)

Anyway, so you're saying that the MaxiCosy should fit onto the rear bench and that the way you've fitted the inertia belts is by having the two points in the centre and the single securing point at the sides. Right, I shall explore this and see if anyone is prepared to fit this for me.

Thanks again -
Kim
thuesing

Post by thuesing »

whoops the end of the 1st paragraph was supposed to have read:
...'that the car would be unsuitable for a baby seat'

apologies,
Kim
justinhenley

Post by justinhenley »

thuesing wrote:Hi Justinhenley - Thanks so much for your reply - even though I've since asked a *third* shop (I've now been to Mothercare, Eddershaws and Halford's) and they also seemed to be of the opinion that the car would be unsuita
Hi Again Kim,

I think the reason that these shops will tell you that it's either not possible or unsafe is that they are "covering their behinds" the truth is they don't know .. so it's much easier to for them to tell you it's impossible than to give advice upon which they could be held to account.

As far as putting a rear facing baby seat in the back is concerned. I'm not sure why they would say it's safer.. I would point out it's pretty undignified .. as any patrons of Henley Tescos will tell you .. even with proper fitting trousers my bum is not a work of art.

How old is your baby now? I think my youngest could go in a regular Maxicosy now (Ie the big one). We have a wealth of (admittedly well used)maxicosi's if you are local you are welcome to come over and I'll fit the belts at the same time .. as it would be my fourth set in a Saloon I think I have it down pat now:)

Justin

BTW Ray !! Hi We still have the dog .. she had puppies (SIX!) and we have another baby Toby. Sophie phoned the midwife and was told not to try to get to the hospital but to dial 999 for an ambulance. Sophie refused to do that as it was "Too meladramatic". Toby was born on the sofa. Anyway Call me:) we would love to see you love to see you over the weekend:)

justin
Madmac

Post by Madmac »

Hi

I too am in the process of buying a morris 1000 2 door saloon and so this topic is really helpful as I am in the same boat. Have a nine month & 32 month. Really want the car but worried seats wont fit! Seems you guys have put my mind at rest, the just needs new seat belts to the back and we can be off. Better get my cash out then!!
rayofleamington

Hi

I too am in the process of buying a morris 1000 2 door saloon and so this topic is really helpful as I am in the same boat. Have a nine month & 32 month. Really want the car but worried seats wont fit! Seems you guys have put my mind at rest, the just needs new seat belts to the back and we can be off. Better get my cash out then!!
Just trying to be helpful - I'd strongly recommend a 4 door saloon, not a 2 door with a baby and a toddler. This would add to the practicality, as using a 2 door saloon may drive you mad whether it is modern or classic.

When they get old enough to need child locks, my method is to remove the inner door handle! You can keep one in the glove box for when you want to lock the doors, or prefferably some similar implement on your key ring.

chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

When they get old enough to need child locks, my method is to remove the inner door handle! You can keep one in the glove box for when you want to lock the doors, or prefferably some similar implement on your key ring.
I've got a copy of 'the motor' magazine from the 1950 where in response to a letter, it suggests that you tie a piece of string between the two rear door handles thus preventing either door from opening.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
rayofleamington

it suggests that you tie a piece of string between the two rear door handles thus preventing either door from opening.
:o

I do remember nearly falling out of the rear door of an 1100 on a corner (I was pretty young). The door must have been on the secondary catch and bounced open - at the time I didn't bat an eyelid (young boys usually don't) but it had really scared my parents.
We didn't have the car too long - it was a lovely Basil Fawlty red with leg burning black vinyl seats. I remember it smelled nice but mainly remember wearing shorts on hot days and being in fear of burnt legs.