Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
XDB
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

temperature sender

Post by XDB »

Can someone help please, what are the arrangements for a temperature sender on a 1098cc engine. does one have a light and or a gauge. We have just replaced the headgasket on my mates 68 moggie and he managed to wash off the labels he had written on the wiring. I replaced the temperature sender due a broken terminal and I had a choice of one with a gauge or a warning light. He hadn't a gauge so I ordered the alternative one, now a warning light comes on. I am away from home for 2 weeks and I have had 2 phone calls in 2 days from him. Can some one help or can I access a manual or wiring diagram on the net.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

They didn't have a temperature gauge or warning light as standard so there is no provision for one in the wiring loom. The 1098 engines do have a removable plug in the cylinder head where you can fit a sensor.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So the warning light coming on - isn't due to temperature! What colour is it ? As Alex says - the Minors never had gauge or light for temperature.
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Ahh... but if you connected one of the wires to the sender then you will have a warning light come on

However if you have 2 wires flapping about in that area the oil pressure warning light may not be connected!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

next time he rings, as sure as hell he will, I will ask him the colour. I didn't dismantle the wiring so I am unsure of what goes where, When I connected the lt to the dizzy it burnt the little wire inside, so I knew that was wrong and it was easy to find right wire. Then I was left with 2. One to the oil warning switch and one to the temperature sender. Bull Motif list 2 senders one for a warning light and one for a gauge. He tells me he has a warning light spare which I now assume is the filter blocked one, but neither his nor mine has any sender near the filter. I am just trying to have a quiet holiday but some how it won't happen if I cannot satisfy him
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - there IS no temperature switch/sender/gauge on a standard Minor. there are two oil warnings - one for low oil pressure and one for oil filter blocked. Other wires in that area are - coil, and joining wire from coil to dizzy. Also large and small wires to Dynamo/Alternator. That's it!
ImageImage
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

He's found himself another expert! the consensus is as you rightly say there shouldn't be a sender in the head, although of the 4 heads I have seen 3 had sensors. The spare wire is probably from a missing oil filter blocked sensor. Thanks again for you input.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Heads from '1100' range 1098 engines will have sensors - but correct fitting for a Minor head is a plug. Sounds like you are off the hook - well done!
ImageImage