mm tourer 1949 totally restored

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
richardjoyce
MMOC Member: No

mm tourer 1949 totally restored

Post by richardjoyce »

can any of you fine fellows tell me what the above mentioned car would roughly be worth on the open market
i ask, because i know of 7 1949 mm tourers which are in varying steps of repair but not in this country and would need to know if the cost would be viable to ship them to the uk
they are right hand models and are totally uk spec
please can any one enlighten me also to the spares situation of 1948 -1950 models as i can obtain many spares from breaking models of this era
i need to know if it is a worthwhile and viable operation before bringing them to uk
cheers
richardjoyce

Post by richardjoyce »

hi again
i may be new but i am failing why there is no response from you MM owners
i spent a couple of years in sri lanka and have found these little beuties along with other cars and i thought that there might be a lot of interest
but after 40 views and no responses maybe there is not a lot of interest after all

i am only trying to find out various prices to find if it is a viable business to import them to uk for selling !!!
teohenghooi
Minor Fan

hi

Post by teohenghooi »

hi Richard,
Do you have any photos of the tourer?
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Think its the same as asking how long is a piece of string...
Somethings only worth what someone is prepared to pay etc.
Theres not really any set value - e.g. someone on here is having restored a traveller costing about £15k - but if it was for sale a week later migth be lucky to get £10k for it.
Importing to the UK is not only expensive but its the red tape you have to deal with, transportation - onward delivery, customs paperwork, excise duty - VAT possibly if its a business venture, then the fun of getting sense from the DVLA and getting an appropriate registration plate, Then it would need a UK MOT etc to be legal.
Thats just the tip of the iceberg and its all time and work which costs someone.
If e.g. you could buy one out there for less than £1k its going to cost (wild guess here) maybe 3 times more than that to get one legally on the road to someones door - so you could be talking £4k for an unknown entity when no doubt you could get a good runner here for similar or less.
Its the situation you need to DYOR as to the exact costs before you even start to think about what they 'might' be worth.
Me personally if i was spending / investing in a series I'd want it to be here so i could get it looked over, would want to know the history - all of it and the seller so there was some legal recourse should it not be what its claimed to be.
Anyway just my opinions for what they are worth, you maybe havnt had so many responses because there isnt a set answer valuation wise, it all depends on the individual vehichle and the buyer.
Keith
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

MM Tourer Prices

Post by Keith »

There was a nice concours example for sale at the recent MMOC National for £5000.

The lower end starts around £1500 for one in boxes!.....more have been unearthed in recent years thanks to eBay, plus dealers have imported them in the past, so not as rare as they used to be....
Spares situation is the same, thanks in part to eBay...

Hope this helps.....Keith
Supercharger Engineering
MMOC No 121
52 Series MM convertible, Alta head, supercharger and 1955 Series II facelift van
richardjoyce

Post by richardjoyce »

many thanks for the few replies i have had
i guessed that the actual finished cost of importing and the neccesary paperwork would have made it a viable proposition but not being a professional moggie nut i had no idea on values to do with resale and the like its a pity really as to find seven tourers in varying states of repair from baskets to almost complete i thought might provide a small type business venture
but cie la vie !!!
many thanks anyway for info
richardjoyce

Post by richardjoyce »

if anyone wants some photoes please email me at
richard.joyce4@btinternet.com
many thanks
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I know that containerised shipping can be very expensive. I used to run containers across Europe for a large container company. An example would be; A 30' container self-loaded and checked by the port authorities in Brisbane, sailed into Southampton, loaded on a ladder trailer and delivered to Central England would cost in the region of £3,000. US would be about the same cost. Eastern and Central Europe would be roughly half. Hope that gives you an idea of the overheads involved.

Lee.