89%
Don't care
5%

Total votes: 38

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Do we want adverts on the site?

Post by simmitc »

Whilst understanding the need to investigate income streams, the fundamental question remains: Do we want advertisements or not?
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Can I just say, these ads down the side are horribly intrusive - my ancient laptop on which I like to browse (for it saves me sitting at my desk) only does 1024x768. That combined with an IM window down the side and I get a teeny little crummy strip of forum. It's hideous.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'll try moving them around.

Jon Rocke
Web Editor

Jon Rocke
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as they are Minor related - I don't see any problem with them !!
ImageImage
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

I get a teeny little crummy strip of forum
and i get a horizontal scroll bar too at that res because your sig image is 600 wide :o
:lol:
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

:) I just bought a widescreen laptop and until now thought it was pointless...!

Barry, Miriam, Ellie, Maia and the Morris
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

bpr81a wrote:As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'll try moving them around.

Jon Rocke
Web Editor
Good idea, how about moving them to elsewhere on the national website or even somewhere else on the internet, but not here, please!

Meanwhile, here is my ad www.kenthop.co.uk ;-)
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

if the ads were placed down the left hand side, where there is already usually a bit of spare space, it would be much less intrusive than the setup at the moment on the right. In my opinion anyway. If the revenue is going towards the MMOC then I dont have a problem with the ads at all.

Picky
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I have voted no! They make using the forum a real pain in the backside. I was using an ancient system running 800x600 earlier and that was really not nice. Its bad enough on the 1280x1024 res I am running now.

Saying that, they seem to look Ok on the rest of the site, but please get them off the forum!!!

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I have voted no, and agree with BG's comment on how this new idea squares with the forum T and C's.
I cannot see why the site needs to generate income, it is already paid for by our subscriptions. If the club are short of money which it is not , then just raise the subs or simply move the available monies to more relevant areas.

AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

NO NO NO!!!

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Adding Adverts to the webiste would not only cause allot of people problems with viewing the forum but it also causes plenty of other problems!

1. It slows the page RIGHT DOWN! allot of new adverts even have videos in them which take ages to download! slowing down our viewing of the site!

2. This site is magnificent as it DOESNT have any nagging adverts flashing in your face! dont spoil it!

3. Security threat, Adverts can be an open port to viruses! even just by acidentaly clicking on a dodgey advert could lead you to a site with viruses or lots of spyware!

If they are minor related why not create an advert page? Then when people need a part/service they can go to the advert page away from where people dont want to see them and they can then view all the adverts and click on what they want!

Just an idea!
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
mal
Minor Addict

Do we want adverts on the site?

Post by mal »

Ahh.. they've gone :lol: I did post last night but got invalid session... maybe just as well with some of the comments I made :roll: why oh why can't people just leave things alone, it's a great site and we don't need this kind of thing :wink:

Mal