National Rally 2007 - how it went...

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)
MMOC Member: No

National Rally 2007 - how it went...

Post by grahamt7 »

C'mon - how did it go?
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles
Jay-Minor
Minor Fan

Post by Jay-Minor »

very well indeed, good weather, good company, good cars.
what more can i say. :D
i'm going to upload a few pics on my website soon,
watch this space.
jay
"Jay" Suffering from Morris Minor addiction.
(no known cure)
Lucky owner of a 1967 4 door saloon "Mildred" THE BEAST
http://www.mini-steam.co.uk
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com
Jay-Minor
Minor Fan

Post by Jay-Minor »

"Jay" Suffering from Morris Minor addiction.
(no known cure)
Lucky owner of a 1967 4 door saloon "Mildred" THE BEAST
http://www.mini-steam.co.uk
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com
uax6
Minor Friendly

Post by uax6 »

I have to say that I haven't been to a National for five years, but managed to get my van XYN 548G mot'd and ready for this years. I paid up for the saturday night camping and arrived at about 8:30am on the sat.

Was dissapointed with the facilities that had been put on for the camping money, basically there was just 17 portable toilets, which were not emptied until the sunday morning (at 7am !!). The grass was between 6-8 inches long and made walking around something that made your Jeans wet!

I enjoyed the two days, and even though XYN was the roughest moggy there people were taking photos of it and were encouraging me to do the most basic resto job on her! Apprently a photo will be in Minor Monthly next month!

The question has to be asked why we pay to get into the National if we are members? The club must be absolutey loaded, and what do get apart from the mag?

How about some driving skill tests next time, and competitions like taking bits on and off your car in the quickest time??

Andy G

XYN 548G Austin C type Van
NYW 884E GPO engineers Van
LUT 890F 4dr saloon.
steve4063
Minor Fan

Post by steve4063 »

it was my first time at the national and i managed to get my 4 door saloon (which is now on ebay :wink: ) mot'd for the day.

went just on the saturday lovely drive there and back apart from fuel pump points sticking on the way there but dave c helped me sort it for the drive home which was brill not a hiccup from the engine.

i enjoyed myself stalls were good but could do with more autojumble and more money come to that :D

it was great to put faces to ppl met a few ppl i chat to on here so that was kool

funny tho because u always get a mental pic of ppl and when u meet they are nothing like u expected.

everyone was friendly tea was expensive £1 a cup. i drink loads of the stuff so needed a second mortgage to pay for that.

between dave c and me i think we spent the best part of £30 on teas :-?

i for one will definately be going next year hopefully.

fired up the 54 split screen today for the first time.
well kool even tho it sounded like a dragster as the exhaust has a big hole in it.

hopefully i'll start stripping it tom :D
[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/s_mitch6/3.jpg[/img]
dave1949
Minor Fan

Post by dave1949 »

hi steve,
u shud av mentioned tea addiction i had a kettle and t bags as did many of us on the camp site,yours to share free next year
steve4063
Minor Fan

Post by steve4063 »

dave1949 wrote:hi steve,
u shud av mentioned tea addiction i had a kettle and t bags as did many of us on the camp site,yours to share free next year
kool nice one thanks

i did like neils little sliding kitchen in his trailer that was well kool

i could do that in my 54 and have tea wherever i go :D
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Yes, an essential item at rallies for me is the camping stove and kettle and lots of tea bags.

We will make it to the National next year, not sure in which vehicle, it would be nice to have restored my 4-door as well as the convertible I'm currently doing.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

uax6 wrote:The question has to be asked why we pay to get into the National if we are members? The club must be absolutey loaded, and what do get apart from the mag?

How about some driving skill tests next time, and competitions like taking bits on and off your car in the quickest time??
They tried a "free" Rally a few years back & it did not work. As a result the club lost its treasurer (long story). There were also many complaints from members who did not appreciate their membership fees being used for a rally if they did not attend!

If you had spoken to the Rally Organiser, he would have been only too pleased to explain the huge costs involved in running a National Rally.

Every year you receive a copy of the club accounts detailing where your membership fees goto and the AGM is very informative - please attend as more input from the membership is needed.

Regarding the driving skills test etc, please volunteer to help run these next year as the rally is always short of helping hands for marshalling, judging & branch challenges etc.

Rog
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

uax6 wrote: How about some driving skill tests next time, and competitions like taking bits on and off your car in the quickest time??
Great ideas :D

I went along with my mate Nicky in her saloon and had the most excellent day (Saturday) - meeting friends, making new ones, touring the autojumble, chewing the fat with the LCV owners :D bought a few bits I needed for the van which is great, including one of the JLH "special" van fuel tanks, best purchased after a few pints, lololol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice big beer tent with plenty of seating, needed some darker ale but apart from that it was great 8)

The website camping area was pretty special, a lovely circle of deckchairs occupied by good sorts having tea and cake and a good time :D

So great to see all those Minors, in all states of repair, great stuff, am really looking forward to next year 8)

a *wave* to everyone I met up with, and a *hug* to those of you who only made it on the Sunday so I missed hugging you in person :D

wibble xxxxxxx
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Re: National Rally 2007 - how it went...

Post by HarryMango »

grahamt7 wrote:C'mon - how did it go?
I had a great time :D - we had a miracle with the weather, picking the only two dry sunny days in the last month or so. The autojumble provided some good finds - I bought an early seat & two door cards that I'd been after for a while plus a few other bits.

Hospitality was second to none from all quaters especially the seemingly never ending kettle & cake supply :D .

Congratulations must go to RogerRust who a bit nervously entered the Concours fray for the first time & came away with 2nd in class.

I heard that the rally plaques ran out so there was at least 600 vehicles there.

Rog
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well the weather was on our side so thats good and all wats good to see some old friends
thanks for all the tea.

on the down side though, i too thought facilities were a shambles.
toilets all in a group, i felt it would be better to have them scattered around the rally feild like most other car shows i go to.

lack of showers again, very dissapointed in that, well i could not find any, do the mmoc really think we can go for 3 days without a shower.

very dissapointed in the catering, only one outside caterer, so again very limited choice for food.

and every year do we really have to suffer those 2 clowns , why cant we have a change of this kind of entertainment

i felt the buffet was also poor with very little choice of food on the buffet

on the subject of plaques i again did not get one, have not had one for the last 5 rallies, and yet we pay in advance, why cant the plaques be sent out with the camping passes

so i for one would doubt i will be going to any more mmoc rallies
so really not impressed, each year i think they will get better but sadly not
:( :(
steve4063
Minor Fan

Post by steve4063 »

plaques??????????

were we meant to get one for being there with a car?
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

I didn't go but does sound a bit questionable.

No showers?
600 cars how many people? 1 caterer
Loo's are never a good point.

I will make it next year, my car actually pass MOT before event but just didn't have time

I hope that not all people were disappointed.

James

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well i thought we were supposed to get a plaque, but have never had one yet
would be nice if all attended would get one
still thats life
had my say on it
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

steve4063 wrote:plaques??????????

were we meant to get one for being there with a car?
Yes - if you booked in with rally control. When they ran out they were taking names & addresses to send them on later.

Rog
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well me and les booked in with rally control, well assume we did when we came on the friday, and was not given any plaques
poor ole do that is
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

Yes it seems they were not giving out the plaques & programs on the Friday - the group I was staying with had not received them so went back & got them on the Sat.

I'm sure if you (& others) email Andrew Stone he will arrange to send you one.

Rog
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

programmes as well

well why wasnt they handed out then

i feel they should have been, but i will email him, tho my rally info was taken
the last programme and plaque that i can remeber getting at the rally point was at knebworth, and that was a real great show and rally

was the best one i went to and afraid since then they have seemed to have gone down hill

so wont be going again :(
Last edited by aupickup on Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

I've just spoken to Andrew Stone. If you telephone Liz Saxon at the mmoc office and leave your name and address, plaques will be sent out to you.

Jon Rocke
Web Editor