Is there 50+ year old electrician out there?

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RogerRust
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Is there 50+ year old electrician out there?

Post by RogerRust »

I tripped over the lead to my battery charger today. I bought it in 1972 so that I could charge the 6 volt battery on my BSA. Any way thought I better check the wiring in the plug. In the dim garage I took the plug top off and took the wires out. Then I decided to take in in doors and rewire it in the warm.
Ok here's the intereasting bit, - three core flex - green/yellow must be earth, but the other two - one is blue the other is black.

I checked the earth is connected to the metal case but I can't see the other two because the box was spot welded from new to stop people like me getting inside!

Neither the black or blue show any connection to the case so I guess its insulated and the earth just earths the case. I connected black to live and blue to negative. It works fine, but I can't remember seeing this mixture of colours. :evil:

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
nebogipfel
Minor Fan

Post by nebogipfel »

Was it manufactured somewhere other than the UK?

It's not the old or new UK standards.

Thinking about it (and bearing in mind I'm not an sparkie) Does it matter which way around you wire a transformer primary windings?

As long as you got the earth right :o
John

1969 S4 Lotus Elan
1955 SII Traveller

Opinions expressed are of course, my own :)
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Thats exactly what I decided! yes it is from the UK "Dencon ltd- 200-240 volts solid state" it says on the label

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

i would say that blue is live and the black neg
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

blue is live i would have said
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

yes in germany that use the same colour code and the blue is live
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

yes in germany that use the same colour code and the blue is live
Not in the workshop I'm sat in. I've just been and looked at the distribution board, and blue is neutral, with the lives being black or brown and earth being green/yellow.
That would sort of tie in with the european standard for flexes(been around for years), and now for all wiring (came in over the last few years) being neutral blue.
Thinking about it (and bearing in mind I'm not an sparkie) Does it matter which way around you wire a transformer primary windings?
No. You can wire things both ways round as the supply is AC anyway. The reason you need to do it the right way is for switches and fuses. The easiest way is to give an example:
If there is a (mains) fuse inside the device and you wire it the 'wrong' way round then get a short circuit to the casing that blows the fuse, it would open the neutral line, and leave the casing still connected to live and hence potentially (pardon the pun) dangerous. Likewise if a device is switched off, but the switch is in the neutral wire, everything up to the point of the switch remains live, although it's apparently off. Aain this could be a problem. An absolute classic of this would be something like a table lamp, where the pins in the bulb holder would be live, even though the lamp is switched off.
Hello from Audrey, Beast, Tara, Robin, and of course Mog.

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/b12225ef.jpg[/img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/lowedb/553409b1.jpg[/img]
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

Not in the workshop I'm sat in. I've just been and looked at the distribution board, and blue is neutral, with the lives being black or brown and earth being green/yellow.
That would sort of tie in with the european standard for flexes(been around for years), and now for all wiring (came in over the last few years) being neutral blue
yes very very very true but i was working putting new lights and sockets in a flat that was there before the war in hannover so i recon the person that owns the block of flats needs to do some fast rewiring dont you think
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg