Non-transferable registrations

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Non-transferable registrations

Post by Cam »

Just out of interest.

Does anyone know what the deal is with non-transferable registrations?

Does this mean that you can NEVER have another reg on the car.

Or does it mean you can't sell that reg.

I just wondered because it would be infuriating if you managed to buy the original reg back and then could not put it back on it's original vehicle.

My '52 has a non-transferable reg, and I just wondered.

I think that maybe Gareth has one on Phyllis too, but that's only a guess!
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Yeah, I've got one.

You can tell them a mile off, because they have the letters *SL or nearby combinations.

You cannot sell that registration, because it was issued free, and the DVLA don't want you making money out of them. If you find the original one (5197NC, where are you?!) then you can buy it and put it on. The non-transferable one will either be declared null and void, or will have to be destroyed and would become property of the DVLA again. Not sure on that last bit, but there you go.

Incidentally, my DSL reg is a Clackmannonshire registration, from the coldness of Scotland.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
olonas

Registrations

Post by olonas »

Don't know what the "deal" is but the old Scottish registrations are used when an age related plate is issued by the DVLA. There were lots spare and unused compared to England & Wales. My '62 saloon has similar KSJ, which cannot be transferred, the original number was transferred elsewhere a couple of owners ago.
My '57 Traveller, however, has the original GDJ502 which is also non transferrable. I may be wrong but I think this is because the car was off the road for years but re-registered using the original number. I know it's the correct first (1957) registration, I have the original log book.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

That's about the size of it. The registration, it appears, lapsed, but "out of the goodness of their hearts" the DVLA let you have it back, but tied it to the car. As opposed to screwing it, I suppose....
Happy Minoring!

Cam

Post by Cam »

Thanks for the info, chaps, it makes a lot of sense.

My reg is WSJ, so it looks like mine is a Scottish *SJ reg too.

I have applied for the history for my car, so hopefully that will tell me the original reg (just out of interest) and when it was changed.

Gareth,

Just out of interest.

The DVLA list the following number plate format changes:

1903 - 1925 = A1
1925 - 1934 = AB1234
1934 - 1955 = ABC123
1955 - 1963 = 123ABC
1963 - 1983 = ABC123A

Which means that your reg (1962) should be a 123ABC format, yet you say it is 5197NC? How strange. Also, if you were issued an 'age related' plate, then it should have been a 123ABC reg, and not an earlier ABC123 type. But as Olanas points out, his '62 saloon has the same type as yours (and mine). So it seems that they just issue the old Scottish plates out if your car was registered before '63.

Not really playing the game is it? They issue 'age related plates' that are not age related at all.

Not that it matters much really, it is just interesting to see what is going on with the DVLA.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

1903 - 1925 = A1
1925 - 1934 = AB1234
1934 - 1955 = ABC123
1955 - 1963 = 123ABC
1963 - 1983 = ABC123A
Hmm... I don't know about that. I'm guessing that it was the original, because the car came from Manchester (Victoria Motors, Long Millgate, to be precise - there's a sticker on the dashboard) and NC is a Manc combination. In any case that reg is/was written on the headlamps, every area of glass and hubcaps. 8) I get the feeling that when they ran out of combinations, they went on to the newer systems, but I really don't know. I'd wondered about that ABC123 / 123ABC thing, because I've seen earlier cars with the later reg's and later cars with the earlier ones, according to that data... I might have to ask the DVLA for the full history of the car... Didn't you apply for that months ago?
Happy Minoring!

Cam

Post by Cam »

Yes on my '69 4-door, but I have recently applied for the info on my '52 2-door.

The '69's info made very good reading and verified everything that the previous owner had said (although the photocopies logbooks were a bit naff).

I fear that the '52's info may be a bit more interesting, as I have no clue as to where it came from originally, and I only got the current logbook and one old tax disc! - not much in the way of history for a 51 year old car!

The info on registrations, is from the DVLA website:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/histm_l/histreg.htm
olonas

Registrations

Post by olonas »

My Traveller must be a contradiction to the DVLA output. According to their list at 1957 it should be a 123ABC but with GDJ502 it's an ABC123! In fact I remember (just) my first car, a 1959 Austin A55, which was 123ABC format. They probably don't know their base from their apex anyway but it would be interesting to know why my registration is different. Might just e-mail them to find out or might I be opening a can of worms?
Cam

Post by Cam »

It would not hurt to ask the question, it might be worth applying for the history on your traveller too, to see if has had it's reg changed at sometime in it's life, it only costs a fiver.

I remember my grandad telling me that his Singer Vogue had spent some time outside the UK and came back in in 1970 and had a H plate issued, even though the car was quite a few years older.

You never know....................
olonas

Registrations

Post by olonas »

Yes, I think I'll give the DVLA a try, out of curiosity. GDJ502 is without a doubt correct as shown on the original "log book". First registered in St Helens in May 1957 and subsequently sold by Garlick Burrel & Edwards iof Renshaw Street in Liverpool (now GBE, Vauxhall dealers). I wonder if the full allocation of ABC123 had been used up in St Helens at the time? I'm sure I've seen other post '55 cars with ABC123 format.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

That's the only explanation that I can think of...
Happy Minoring!

Willie
Minor Legend

reg

Post by Willie »

My 57' car is XUO 354 (Devon)!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Daddsie
Minor Friendly

Daddsie

Post by Daddsie »

Does anyone know why one cannot purchase plates that start with D then 123 etc.

DVLA just say that they are not available.

I want for obvious reason D400SJE, or D400SIE but they cannot be bought, WHY?
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

DVLA just say that they are not available.
Well they play by their own rules!! lol

As for non-transferrable, My 58 has been off the road since 1972! Therefore it wasn't in the new DVLA records and it was only thanks to the (fabulous) MMOC / Ray Newel that I got to keep the reg that was on the car.
The down side was it is non transferable. I got the car for £50 and would have loved to make £500 from it.

Cam - when was the car last taxed?? If it was after 72 then it should be in the computerised records somewhere and you should be able to get the number as normal (transferrable). Not that you're likely to sell it, but it's nice to know you can if you want to ;-)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Cam

Post by Cam »

Ray,

It was taxed under it's new reg fairly recently.

The one tax disc I have ran out in October 2000, I was quite pleased at that, as the thought of it being on the road only 2 1/2 years ago suggested that the repair work was not THAT bad. Well, not as bad as I thought it could be, although I have given it a good inspection and I know what needs doing, I think it was probably more psychological!!

I am still waiting for the info to come back from the DVLA, I have already received a postcard saying that they are working on it, so hopefully all will be revealed soon!!!
paulg
Minor Friendly

Post by paulg »

1955 - 1963 = 123ABC
1963 - 1983 = ABC123A

The change to a letter suffix was not universal, some areas kept the 123ABC format into 1964 (mine is 780 WYD and is 1964).
So maybe the other changes weren't universal and there may be some exceptions? In the days before computer systems maybe communications were poorer (tongue superglued to cheek!).
olonas

Registrations

Post by olonas »

Correct, and the registrations were done by local offices and not through a centralised DVLA type place.
Hence if a local office had not used up their earlier type registrations, eg. Devon, St Helens, why waste them? Certain areas of Scotland must have had a real surplus for them to be used as "age related."
Cam

Post by Cam »

Bit of an update with regard to my registration.

My '52 (WSJ 955) was originally JAM 108 (no wonder it sold!)

I have had a look at similar registrations for sale, and they all seem to be going for around the £3,000 mark!! - how sad is that, paying £3,000 for a number. Mind you after paying £34,500 plus for the car it will end up on, £3,000 is a drop in the ocean.

I entered JAM 108 into a on-line insurance quote website, and it told me what car it is now on.

Can you guess???

That's right!! A Mercedes Clk 320 Elegance Auto, Sports 3199cc. :roll:

Bloody typical.

Anyway, while I was at it, I entered Gareth's original reg (5197 NC) - hope you didn't mind Gareth :wink:

And, you will never guess what car that is on?????

AMAZING!!!! A Mercedes 300 SL Auto, Convertable, 2962cc. :lol: :lol:

What's with Merc owners nicking Moggy registrations?????

We could start a new game - Guess what car my original reg is on!!!
Trouble is they would all probably be Mercs. - Weeners.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Mercedes sports cars with private plates...
Careful what you say! They may be registered in Birmingham to people who do a lot of 'interesting sales' to their 'high' customers..
How's that for stereotyping!! lol

Shouldn't stereotype drivers on the basis of their cars, but saying that why does it tend to be BMWs that cut you up trying to avoid motorway cues and never Jag's or ZT's??
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Cam

Post by Cam »

Shouldn't stereotype drivers on the basis of their cars
Why is that then Ray?? Would not have anything to do with the Porker would it??? :wink: :wink:

No, seriously, I only have a problem with people who use the car as a status symbol and not for the car itself.

Owning a car because you like the engineering or shape or engine etc. is fine, but I fear that owners of BMWs, Mercs, Ferraris, etc. just own them for the status.

Obviously, this is not your case Ray, as how many BMW owners would have a Moggy on their drive (especially one in need of work)- probably none.