Unleaded engine

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pbottomley
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by pbottomley »

Right long one but i will keep to basics. I am getting a re con unleaded engine for my car.

1/. My old engine is leaded, do i need to do anything but put unleaded in the tank now?

2/. how does it affect things like fule pump do they need work?

3/. Do i need toplay with the carb?

Also this engine may have an alternator mine at present has the old dynamo, what are the iimplications of fitting this what do i need to do?

Last question!

As this re con engine has stood for a while (18 months) what shoudl i do to ensure its a good one, and what precautions shoudl i take prior to firing it up!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

1, no just fill up the car with unleaded and off you go.

2, the fuel pump will be fine running on either.

3, You may need to play with the carb a bit to take into account that it is on a different engine. I was adviced to run it a bit rich when running in as the additional petrol will help to keep things cool.

4, The Dynamo to alternator conversion is straight forward and is covered in the techincal manual, it is very straight forward.

5, as for checking the engine.. it may be worth taking the head off to check the bores for rust obviously depending how it has been storred since it was built, or if the build used build up grease. Take the oil pump off and prime it with oil prior to fitting it as any oil put in 18 months ago is likly to have run out.
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
Alternator fitting.The "The Morris Minor modification manual" from "The Morris Minor Centre" is invaluable for any Mods. Don`t forget you need to change to Negative earth!
"Choking" Most wear takes place on an engine when starting on choke, the fuel "washes" the oil from the bores. One should cancel the choke at the earliest opportunity.
Filling the oil filter bowl is good practice,(unless converted to "Mini" angled screw type).....Ivor
Hannomag

Post by Hannomag »

I started up an engine that had lain dormant for 2 years. An RAC mechanic advised me to squirt a little light oil down the spark plug holes, and then turn the engine over without spark plugs until the oil pressure light goes out, that way the oil gets around the engine and the bores are lubricated before the pistons take the full brunt of the explosion. Means alot of smoke for a while after start up but worked for me. The said engine is now coping with German autobahns on a regular basis...The obvious thing to point out is that the wires to the coil are pulled off and that no spark is allowed near the spark plug holes as a lot of vaporised fuel comes out and can easily blow your eyebrows off...and more.