paint/finish of engine bay brackets and mountings

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

paint/finish of engine bay brackets and mountings

Post by wibble_puppy »

hiya all,

anyone able to advise me on this one? :D

Having taken apart my van I looked at the mountings and plates which fix the various engine components in place, and the paint was all peeling and falling off the rusty metal :roll:

Have had them "professionally" (ha ha - PM if you need the name of a sandblaster in the south-east to avoid :evil: ) sandblasted and sprayed with red oxide primer.

What do I do now to ensure they last a good long time in good nick? 8)

I had been considering having them powder-coated but it seems there are no good places for that in my area :(

Would ideally like to finish them in the original finish which is why I'm posting in this section - but it's not essential :)

thanks for any advice/tips/experience

juliet xxxxxx
Last edited by wibble_puppy on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

WP,

If you would like the brackets powder coated let me know as I'm sending some of our own away soon. If you are painting them, then tale off the red oxide and respray with Galve spray then etc, primer and relevant top coat :wink:

wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

well yeah, powder coating would be fab!!! :D where are you based, jonathon? you've found a good reliable powder coating place then? Is the red oxide a problem if they are going to be powder coated? and how much will it cost?

questions questions :wink: 8)
Last edited by wibble_puppy on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterCrowl
Minor Friendly

Post by PeterCrowl »

Please forgive my ignorance..my engine bay is currently Rust Brown..what is the proper color scheme? Inner wings and bulkhead body color and all else chassis black? Is power coat black too much a "gloss black" to be anywhere near correct..or does nobody really care?

Thanks

Peter
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

hi again, peter this isn't a reply to your question i'm afraid, cos i don't know the answer, but just to update on my own choice: i've gone with the Practical Classics product test results and plumped for Eastwood's Underhood Black (which can go on top of red oxide, incidentally). It's supposed to be very resilient and long-lasting, and not too glossy.

wibble
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

PeterCrowl wrote:Please forgive my ignorance..my engine bay is currently Rust Brown..what is the proper color scheme? Inner wings and bulkhead body color and all else chassis black? Is power coat black too much a "gloss black" to be anywhere near correct..or does nobody really care?

Thanks

Peter
AFAIK it's body colour for the lot - at least when they were new...
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I'd second Andrew's view on colour.

If powder coating, there are at least two different finishes: satin and gloss (matt might be available as well, not sure). If you're not going for concours then whichever you think looks best.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

ah, i should have clarified: the engine bay itself is body colour, and the paint I've mentioned is being used on the brackets etc which I think were originally black 8)
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

The brackets were indeed black Wibbs
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

cool 8)

she breathes

she talks

she learns! :D
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

you can paint the brackets in satin black paint. If on a budget (arent we all?) Wilko's satin black spray cans are cheap, did well in Practical classics test and seem to work pretty well. Adhesion etc and finish is good.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

If you want aerosol paint try the stuff sold for wheels.
I've used it for years on small brackets and it's tough as well as good coverage compared to body paint.

Paul Humphries